Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: How did you learn to drive and get your driving licence?
By sneaking out alone to drive our car 13 19.40%
I was taught to drive by a friend / family member 28 41.79%
I learnt to drive with a local driving school 31 46.27%
Read a driver training manual 4 5.97%
I never appeared for a driving test, but still got my driverís licence 4 5.97%
I had appeared for a lame driving test and was passed 13 19.40%
Had to undergo a proper driving test 16 23.88%
I once failed a driving test due to poor driving 1 1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd July 2015, 11:36   #466
BHPian

Default Re: How and when did you learn to drive?

Voted for: I was taught to drive by a friend / family member
- Tutor: Family Friend
- Car: Hyundai Eon
- Location in India: Bangalore

Presently holding LL and I am yet to appear for my DL Test next month. Fingers crossed!
Resh@22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:48   #467
BHPian

- Tutor: Dad and then a professional driving school
- Car: Maruti Gypsy
- Location in India: Bangalore

From childhood I used to observe my dad drive and learnt most of the basics from him, and had to approach a driving school guy to get my LL/DL.

Last edited by kp1992 : 23rd July 2015 at 12:01. Reason: Choice of words
kp1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:58   #468
BHPian

First time I drove, was inside my house compound, when I was 16. Was a tata india V2 DLE model!

Believe it or not, no one told me how to drive (apart from being told to lift the clutch slowly)! All my experience playing racing games taught me to drive

First time on the road was a 100m drive from my house to the temple on my 18th birthday in my current swifty!

The day after the IIT-JEE exams, I went to the RTO and got my learners. Drove home right after I got the papers. I was already prepared with red insulation tape in each pocket so I could splash an L board on ANY car I get the chance to drive!! Good old days!
DDiSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 09:53   #469
Senior - BHPian

I opted for choices 1 &7 although for 7,l am not sure it was lame or serious.
Started driving when I was around 15. I learnt the basics by observing which was probably a year or two earlier.The only confusion in my mind was the gear shift pattern.Should it be only sequential or otherwise.
I started off by starting the car in neutral and letting it warm up for my dad before he left for work. Then slowly started reversing it out of the lot and park it outside the gate and that distance increased to the length of the lane we stayed on and then to a longer round the block ride, all without my dad knowing, which I'm not proud of. This was on a first generation 800.
I got most of my practice on a 540dp during my summer vacations on narrow winding back roads of Kerala and I must say that is what fine tuned my driving to quite an extent in early days. I used to do multiple trips to the town and back home and finally at the end of a vacation,i used to return to Bangalore like I returned from some social work.

Finally got a my LL and with my dad next to me along with a lot of lectures and blastings ,learnt to drive in traffic which was a whole different ball game. I never got to drive much in city since my dad used the car until it got passed down to me ,which was much later. But by then ,I had started motorcycling although I equally love driving.

Last edited by tharian : 24th July 2015 at 10:01.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 10:54   #470
BHPian

My father was the tutor. Still remember how confident i was driving the car on the empty highways and seeing that he made me go inside a narrow barely one car sized side road with walls on both sides!

All my confidence [over-] came a crumbling down. I started to sweat trying not to hit the side walls and after a few harrowing minutes i gave up :P

Over-confidence of your skills on road is a dangerous feeling to have. Know your limits, understand them and be a better driver was his comment later.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 14:13   #471
Senior - BHPian

My cousin elder brother taught me to drive.

My Age - 14/15
Place - the now famous Lokhandwala, Mumbai which was earlier just an open stretch of a dead end road.
Car - Maruti SS80

Used to wake up my brother at 5 in the morning, to take me to that open stretch, where he would allow me to hold only the steering wheel in the initial one month. Slowly he taught me what he was doing, and by the end of 6th month, I drove on that stretch of empty road - once.
After that, did not get to drive for another 2 years.
But the basics were cleared and I till date remember those.
Lessons from the motor driving school were never required

Bought my first car 10 years later and that is when I started to drive frequently.

PS: Someone asks me to drive in Lokhandwala today, I would refuse and take a rickshaw.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 24th July 2015 at 14:22.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote