Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th August 2009, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Default New traffic lights in Mumbai

I have observed the replacement of an efficient and working traffic lights system in South Mumbai being replaced by a new set of lights (after pulling down the old ones) over the past few months. These include the BMC-CSTM junction, Tata-VSNL junction, DN-Citibank junction and the Flora fountain junction.

While the old ones had the counter displays and gave proper pedestrian crossing intervals, the present ones probably introduced as part of the real-time signal management are proving to be a hazard especially to pedestrians. The time interval for the massive pedestrian crossover from CSTM to DN road (Central camera side) is set so low that it leads to chaos in peak hours.
Similarly it seems new system provides for selective intersections to be put on blink. Last week on consecutive days I have found chaos at the Citibank intersection of DN Road around 1800 hrs when the light are on blink or totally off. Those who know the place can very well imagine the risks there without even a traffic cop around !!

Saw a major accident on the VSNL intersection when a taxi who jumped the signal crashing into a Accent coming from the Churchgate side. This impatience is because of improper synchronisation as long intervals with no traffic from a segment having the right of way , is creating impatience.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

I know what you mean. I think that since they are replacing the signals, cant they go the extra mile once and for all and get the signals with the sensors?
Atleast then, when there is extra traffic in one place, and no traffic in another way, the lights will change faster, thus easing traffic?
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 14:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I know what you mean. I think that since they are replacing the signals, cant they go the extra mile once and for all and get the signals with the sensors?
Atleast then, when there is extra traffic in one place, and no traffic in another way, the lights will change faster, thus easing traffic?
I think the new system is probably interconnected and the lights work based on traffic density in the defined routes. I am relating the new installations to a news report some time back which talked of the traffic dept. going in for dynamically adjustable traffic lights or something like that.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote