Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th August 2009, 10:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Why is the breach of law by a TBHPian a surprise to you?
That is exactly the question I wanted to ask, but Sawyer beat me to it. As I have mentioned in the road safety thread too, I have seen quite a few vehicles in Pune with Team-BHP stickers on them flouting traffic rules and driving rashly. Surely, some of them must be TBHP members?

As a famous Latin phrase goes: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?", loosely translated as "Who will guard the Guards?". The answer is: They will guard themselves against themselves.

My point is, as TBHPians, first we need to get rid of the holier than thou or 'I am a superior driver than non TBHPians' attitude. That will be the first step to own up our shortcomings and the mistakes that we may be committing on the road, and will go a long way in helping us self-police ourselves.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 10:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

good driving habits and road manners are not very common these days with everyone being in a tearing rush most of the time. Good manners is certainly not the exclusive preserve of "Club Members" like TBHP or any other for that matter. There are as we all know, plenty of good and bad drivers everywhere.

The fact is that patience all around is wearing a bit thin, there are too many vehicles on roads which are ill designed to carry this kind of load. There is a proliferation of poor drivers in the taxis, BPO Wagons plus loony auto drivers and idiot 2 wheelers careening around the roads.

Mix all this with cops who are on the "take", useless driving license authorities who will grant anyone a license who has the requisite 10 hours on road driving experience, apathetic road rule enforcement, high pressure lifestyles and time-lines and you have a potential time bomb which is likely to go off sooner rather than later.

therefore, I guess, it is upto people like us on this forum to at least behave on the roads with a modicum of decency, like letting pedestrians cross before honking and taking off at traffic lights, minimal usage of horn, careful lane discipline etc.

in our small way we could make a difference if we try as a concerted effort at TBHP.
Sounds preachy I know, but we have to keep making ourselves aware or else we will fall into the same traps as the bad drivers whom we curse.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:42   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So what? You want Mods to ban him for a month now? Like posting the image will change the world?

I mean, chill.

Hey !

i like your attitude ! really like it !
srinivas9446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:17   #34
BANNED

the world is full of idiots. I occasionally drive like an idiot myself. sometimes its deliberate, sometimes it is to vent frustration and sometimes its a lapse of concentration.
the point is that Im not an automaton who will behave in exactly one pattern all the time.
instead of expecting a bunch of people to echo our sentiments and ostracize somebody who didn't live up to our definition or correctness, let's just concentrate on ourselves and let idiots go their own way; tBHPians or otherwise.

Srinivas, if you want to post the pictures you've taken, please do so by all means. I would. you don't need consensus or permission to do so.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:20   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you could PM me the shop names that would be great.

Cool, was just clarifying the above.

Thanks,
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I can't recollect the names of the shops (its been a really long time since I have gone to JC Road), but I can direct them to these shops. Which is why I said, we can have some local moderators to look into this issue as they can go check this out personally.
Most of these shops dont even have a name. They are all hole-in-the-wall type of places. Anyone familiar with JC road will understand what I'm saying. They generally dont appear in any of your maps, directories, etc!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:03   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

To mclaren and NevGin:
Its quite simple. Criticism on an online community will not change someone's driving style. At max, after a day or two, it'll make someone not care, and worse, become brazen!

Frankly, its counter productive.

Taking self as an example, the impatient driving/high speeds are a manifestation of my approach to driving. To assume that posting images on a forum can do "inner change work", is really amusing to me.

@mclaren - if people would avoid a car because its been publicised to be rash, is incentivising people to be rash and have others make way - I know enough delhi walas who'd actually relish that thought! Esp in a country like India where the world mutual respect doesn't exist!

@srinivas: Surely you jest my friend! As the OP, should've put a smiley!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:32   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
@mclaren - if people would avoid a car because its been publicised to be rash, is incentivising people to be rash and have others make way - I know enough delhi walas who'd actually relish that thought! Esp in a country like India where the world mutual respect doesn't exist!
You could be right, but I have seen the opposite work too. But if I were on the road and if I knew a car is known for playing mischief I would stay as far away from it as possible. This is the first thumb rule some of us follow on drives. If we are not comfortable driving with a particular driver A, either we stay far behind/ahead of them. This information is then communicated to all cars within the closed group who have spent a lot of time getting to know each others driving styles, limits of the drivers & their cars etc before we are comfortable driving in a pack. This works on tracks too. I feel, its better to prevent the whole scene than to be sorry later on. This is how I drive, by identifying the drivers who I am not comfortable with and keep safe distance from them from the word go. Hence my request, so that people who think like me can be warned of such and such car. According to me, identifying such vehicles as early as possible, has made most of our drives really safe.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
why restrict it to TBHP stickered cars then? why not start a campaign of posting cars' pics jumping signals and so on?
check this out

YouTube - IndianCriminals's Channel
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Anek,

this is great video, a almost exact replay of what i am saying, but the car in question moved much faster.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:55   #40

Quote:
To mclaren and NevGin:
Its quite simple. Criticism on an online community will not change someone's driving style. At max, after a day or two, it'll make someone not care, and worse, become brazen!

Frankly, its counter productive.

Taking self as an example, the impatient driving/high speeds are a manifestation of my approach to driving. To assume that posting images on a forum can do "inner change work", is really amusing to me.
hey phamilyman,

i dont understand why this has been taken very seriously. i was just trying to communicate in the forum what few of our community guys do on the streets, because we directly or indirectly are responsible to keep up the good name of this community.

i dont mean any harm to anybody here...so i have not even uploaded the picture of the car...i am really bothered about our guys & forum name here ...

my only thing is that we need to better ourselves, behave in a more civilized manner..the KEY IS TO BE DIFFERENT BY NOT DOING WHAT OTHERs DO..IT IS LOT OF EFFORT TO BE DIFFERENT, BELIEVE ME ITS DIFFICULT.

ok ! this guy jumped the signal, does that mean everybody waiting for the green too should have done the same....just imagine the chaos then !

I have been in rallies & racing for about a decade and have been driving since 20 ODD years now, but never ever behaved in a disorderly manner during normal riding or driving on the streets.

I too have a manifestation to drive fast, very very fast, i do it in a nice way in a orderly manner. THE KEY IS TO MANAGE OUR EGO & ATTITUDE ON THE STREETS ! nothing else. If somebody wants to go first, i am the first one to let them go.

hope you get my point.

i tried to just bring in some essence to our community...thats it..since few guys have founded this forum with good expectations.

as you wanted here it is

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th August 2009 at 14:06. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:02   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
You could be right, but I have seen the opposite work too. But if I were on the road and if I knew a car is known for playing mischief I would stay as far away from it as possible. This is the first thumb rule some of us follow on drives. If we are not comfortable driving with a particular driver A, either we stay far behind/ahead of them. This information is then communicated to all cars within the closed group who have spent a lot of time getting to know each others driving styles, limits of the drivers & their cars etc before we are comfortable driving in a pack. This works on tracks too. I feel, its better to prevent the whole scene than to be sorry later on. This is how I drive, by identifying the drivers who I am not comfortable with and keep safe distance from them from the word go. Hence my request, so that people who think like me can be warned of such and such car. According to me, identifying such vehicles as early as possible, has made most of our drives really safe.

Hi,

i agree with you, can we do anything at all about these things in the forum..let me know...would be very glad to do something which may bring about a change !

bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
the world is full of idiots. I occasionally drive like an idiot myself. sometimes its deliberate, sometimes it is to vent frustration and sometimes its a lapse of concentration.
the point is that Im not an automaton who will behave in exactly one pattern all the time.
instead of expecting a bunch of people to echo our sentiments and ostracize somebody who didn't live up to our definition or correctness, let's just concentrate on ourselves and let idiots go their own way; tBHPians or otherwise.

Srinivas, if you want to post the pictures you've taken, please do so by all means. I would. you don't need consensus or permission to do so.
hi,

i do agree..drive safe !

since we are in a community, it is nice to know what guys here think about it, before i do anything..not asking for a permission as such .

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th August 2009 at 14:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2009, 22:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Its obvious from the posts here that members have a wide range of maturity, with some still not having grown into adults. Education as it is taught in India does not seem to be the key to this phenomenon. Actually, I have seen a lot of truck drivers on the highways, that are not half as educated, exhibiting immaculate road manners.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 22:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Its obvious from the posts here that members have a wide range of maturity, with some still not having grown into adults. Education as it is taught in India does not seem to be the key to this phenomenon. Actually, I have seen a lot of truck drivers on the highways, that are not half as educated, exhibiting immaculate road manners.

hey sawyer,

i.....
Old 17th August 2009, 22:18   #44
BHPian

Srinivas - As Rehaan pointed, can you just mention the Make and the color of the car here so that the owner (if he reads) can at least be aware that he has done something wrong?

Rehaan (and other mods) - Can you make the T-BHP shopping site accessible with our login and Password. At least some of the non-members buying and mis-using it can be curbed that way.

You would at least be having some basic information of a person through their registration to know if it is genuine or not.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 22:24   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Srinivas - As Rehaan pointed, can you just mention the Make and the color of the car here so that the owner (if he reads) can at least be aware that he has done something wrong?

Rehaan (and other mods) - Can you make the T-BHP shopping site accessible with our login and Password. At least some of the non-members buying and mis-using it can be curbed that way.

You would at least be having some basic information of a person through their registration to know if it is genuine or not.

Corsalove,

here it is : model- An Alto, color - blue.

i dont have a problem to give the registration no...but i think i will wait for a while before i write it down here.

i need some more views/replies in writing down the Registration no here.

i agree with your views about curbing ..thanks.

@Rehaan,

lets do something about it man !