Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th August 2009, 12:00   #1
BHPian

Default Bad roads causing injuries to the vehicle

Yesterday, on Sunday at 12.30 post noon, I was watching a programme on UTV channel. It was Autocar show (I think that's the name). They were giving us a report on Tata Nano.

One of the segments had an interesting observation about the state of roads in Bombay. That caught my interest. I drive on these roads for about 65 kms a day and have seen them in really bad shape. The taxes this city levies on vehicle owners are among the highest in India. Why, then, don't we get good roads?

There are potholes everywhere, broken roads, manhole covers jutting out and all these really damage the car's suspension, tyres and what not.

The programme also mentioned that in a country like UK, common citizens can actually sue the administration for damage to car due to bad roads.

Is it possible here? Or is it just another of those dreams of a utopian society which remain a dream? The municipal corporation here takes the Bombay citizens for granted and provide them with such shoddy amenities that it is laughable when people call this city 'the most cosmopolitan of all metros.' Just one look at a city like CHandigarh or Delhi will put this great metro to shame.

Does India have any law to enable a person to ask the administration for damage due to poor roads? Or will we have to wait for a PIL?
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

other than possibly New Delhi, I think these problems as outlined are generic to almost every other Indian city today.

Road Tax that we pay, is supposed to be used for Road Maintenance - but reality seems rather far removed!

Frankly each city needs a powerful town planning dept and corporation, with full Mayoral empowerment and support, in turn empowered and supported in toto by the respective state government. Obviously sizeable funds are required too.Only then will it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Yesterday, on Sunday at 12.30 post noon, I was watching a programme on UTV channel. It was Autocar show (I think that's the name). They were giving us a report on Tata Nano.

One of the segments had an interesting observation about the state of roads in Bombay. That caught my interest. I drive on these roads for about 65 kms a day and have seen them in really bad shape. The taxes this city levies on vehicle owners are among the highest in India. Why, then, don't we get good roads?

There are potholes everywhere, broken roads, manhole covers jutting out and all these really damage the car's suspension, tyres and what not.

The programme also mentioned that in a country like UK, common citizens can actually sue the administration for damage to car due to bad roads.

Is it possible here? Or is it just another of those dreams of a utopian society which remain a dream? The municipal corporation here takes the Bombay citizens for granted and provide them with such shoddy amenities that it is laughable when people call this city 'the most cosmopolitan of all metros.' Just one look at a city like CHandigarh or Delhi will put this great metro to shame.

Does India have any law to enable a person to ask the administration for damage due to poor roads? Or will we have to wait for a PIL?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 12:11   #3
BHPian

Civic planning in our city is woefully behind in terms of development projects, and maintenance efforts. The distribution of Mumbai's business district into Navi Mumbai and outwards in the remaining directions would have eased the pressure on city planners. The fact that vested interests of the business+political+civic administration nexus denied the dream of Navi Mumbai from ever being truly realised, is the single most important factor contributing to Mumbai's woes. Until the North-South unidirectional flow of men, machines and money continues, there is little hope that there can be any real progress. Any infra plans finalised today are tendered out in 6 months and implemented in anything between 3-10 years, by which time the sheer numbers of people and vehicles have rendered the original plans inadequate and ineffective. We are looking at a situation where a man with a tea-spoon is ladling water out of a ship the size of the titanic, which is sinking without any hope. Potholes are but a minor irritant in this grand scheme of things. I have stopped being bothered by them, there are bigger worries in my mind, like the fact that if I can't find a parking spot in Bandra today, how bad will it be next year, and the year after that?
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

I wish we could sue them for this. And there are roads which are good and smooth, so you maintain a good clip, and suddenly there pops up a horizontal depression a couple of inches deep - a trench that was opened up for something and shoddily closed - and you can't avoid it. If you brake suddenly, you may be rear ended, so you just brake a bit and clench your teeth. Even worse are unmarked speed breakers/rumble strips.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 12:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
other than possibly New Delhi, I think these problems as outlined are generic to almost every other Indian city today.
Delhi joins the bandwagon of Indian cities with bad roads every year during the monsoons. Come over to Delhi and check out the condition of the roads now, after 2 days of moderate rains.

As to the satellite cities like Gurgaon and Ghaziabad, the less said, the better. Let my video below do the talking...

SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 13:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I wish we could sue them for this. And there are roads which are good and smooth, so you maintain a good clip, and suddenly there pops up a horizontal depression a couple of inches deep - a trench that was opened up for something and shoddily closed - and you can't avoid it. If you brake suddenly, you may be rear ended, so you just brake a bit and clench your teeth. Even worse are unmarked speed breakers/rumble strips.
I know the feeling...just a couple of days ago I was heading out of Bombay for a couple of hours and was clipping along just before the left turn to take Palm Beach Road. Roads were wide open (Aug 15) and were fairly smooth. Got to the top of the run-up to Palm Beach Exit and just as I came over the top there was NO ROAD surface at all, just ruts, holes and ditches! Ouch!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 14:14   #7
BHPian

Some days back, there was a mail I received, with some Govt website id and details where you could log in any kind of complaint, be it ration card issues, municipality related or anything. Unfortunately, I have lost that mail.

ANyone has any idea on this website? It is a sort of a redressal forum started by the government and it is supposed to work (as per that mail).
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 14:35   #8
BHPian

Travelwriter:- refer to this site Grievance Redress Mechanism in Government

I have raised a complain against a BSNL portal for giving wrong/misleading information , the matter was resolved in 2 days, after getting a call from senior BSNL Manager.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on man - I'm surprised at the outpouring of profound idealism across thread today.

Tell me what can you do practically? Except vote for the least scum and hope that things work out. keep paying taxes. Aside from that, zilch.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well I admit we are quite lucky to be In Jaipur that ways. The road situation here isnt that bad as compared to the other cities or as the video shown above.

Or maybe it just does not rain as heavily as it rains in other places.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post

(edit)

No need for PIL. If you have suffered losses due to bad roads, go file a suit against the govt. in the normal civil court (NOT the High Court).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 13:20   #12
BHPian

Default Delhi-Rants on Traffic and Streets!

I've been left gob smacked. I wish to cry at the sheer apathy of every single governmental agency in charge of the streets and traffic in the so called 'capital' city of India.

Is is it really so difficult to ensure that the drains are able to carry away rain water? Is it really so difficult to ensure that roads are rehabilitated before the rains come down? Is it really so difficult to provide rain coats and boots to traffic policemen to patrol the streets? Is it really so difficult for every single governmental agency to be alive to its civic responsibility and assist the common man?

Apparently it is. There seem to be at present three types of roads in Delhi. Dug up, water logged, or both! So if you are on the ring road (both inner and outer) you're probably underwater. If you are in G.K., Nehru Place, Green Park, Kailash Colony you're probably 'holey', and if you are anywhere near Shalimar Bagh, Anand Vihar or Rohini/Model Town Side you are dug up and submerged. I still remember one radio jockey saying in 2010, that the song "tu na jaane aas paas hai khuda" from Anjana Anjani to be actually a paean to Delhi streets and less a movie song!

As for the traffic, the least the traffic cops can do is enforce lane and red light discipline during these days atleast. If everyone jostles for space no body moves, if everyone queues up if only under the vigil of traffic police things are smoother. But wait a minute, where is the white and blue. I just drove 22 kilometers and you know the number of traffic police I saw-ZERO. All major intersections, flyovers, markets where regulation is required as vacant. An urban free for all where only the mighty survive.

I don't know what calamity would be required to jolt these jokers out of their slumber? Every single person who assumes power "promises" to make the situation better, however every passing day is going from bad to worse. I genuinely don't care whether the administration is headed by A,B or Z all I really wish is that each of these babu's and neta's discharge their basic function and then proceed to do whatever tomfoolery takes their fancy. Today's ToI reports that civic agencies have been given 10 days to desilt the drains. How convenient, because in 10 days time the rains would have abated, the public fury would have fizzled out and then everything can go back to being broken.

This is symptomatic of a deeply broken and unfixable system. I cant speak for you, as for me I've given up. For those of you who remember the movie Gladiator "he'll bring them death-and they'll love him for it".

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 16th July 2016 at 13:28. Reason: fixed typo's
shady_lawyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 00:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi-Rants on Traffic and Streets!

We have a rants thread on Bangalore nearing a thousand pages and it'll continue to do much, much more than that (seeing I myself have posted close to 50 times there) and the Mumbai+Pune rant threads having a few hundred pages themselves. If this is the first thread on rants on Delhi I'd expect a similar performance in no time.

From this its clear that the road problem is also a symptom of being an Indian. Where crowded cities exist, lawlessness shall prevail and there is no stopping it. Governments or administrative agencies/local bodies everywhere are inept.. people only hope time and again that a new government will be their sweet salvation, only to be left in thirst every time.

When it comes down to it, its pretty simple - the country is all about making money. Delhi like Mumbai is a place of sharp contrasts, you exit that world-class GMR airport only to hold your nose when you come outside. Gurgaon at a glance from the toll-booths resembles Dubai what with all those designer buildings but go deeper and you find no basic water supply and zero greenery. This is what happens with no in-depth planning.

No government knows how to lay/maintain roads in India, all roads need lane markings, sign boards, scientific & smooth speed-breakers and well made sidewalks with drains underneath. Tar isn't porous enough and since its also kind of smooth water runs right off of it to flow and accumulate in the sides causing massive floods and stagnant water. I'm talking from experience when I say that my neighbourhood has water-logging tendency.. its gotten worse with the fact that everyone smoothens-out their space outside the boundary wall with cement to make their houses appear "neat". We left that part outside our house to be natural and till date we've not had a flooding incident - the water is sucked right in by the earth and it dries immediately. Likewise I wish the government had the sense to leave about 3-4 feet wide plain lands at either sides of the road which can be also used to plant trees at every 10-20 feet length, you can forget about flooding in that case.

Traffic police cause harm more than defend the rights of safety of motorists. The old "fine" or penalty system can no longer be used, a rash rider/driver will still continue with it after the payment. Delhi is also home to hot-blooded, extremely egotistical drivers (the connected ones more likely) and any tiny argument about them hitting one's car's trunk will land that one into their trunk directly. People seem to fear the law less over there, going by the many dozen incidents of politicians or their relatives bashing up toll-booth operators when they ask for a mere Rs.40-50 to go across. The lawmakers become the lawbreakers so what can you expect?

I also saw this coming nearly a decade ago when everyone were going ga-ga over the concept of NCR as the New-New Delhi, even today people who own homes in Faridabad, Noida Ext., or Ghaziabad say that they live in Delhi.. when I ask where in Delhi I hear the truth and cant stop laughing to myself. This was the capitals Waterloo as far as I knew it, what could go wrong when New & Old Delhi are connected by a great metro-line spanning Gurgaon to Noida and even further with plans to also include Agra into the mix. NCR includes regions from 3 states including Rajasthan, Haryana and U.P and that is plain ridiculous as the original intention of such inclusion was for far more noble reasons. Where did the NCRPB think the traffic will go once such an inclusion happens? Yes, DELHI.

As you asked.. I don't think there's enough voltage on this earth to electroshock the officials into coherence (Seinfeld fans will know this line). Delhi has been through floods, witnessed scores of road-rage incidents and absolute mockery of legal system and yet it limps along, head held high for being the capital of the 2nd largest populated country - none of which are points to be proud of in my view.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 11:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
No government knows how to lay/maintain roads in India, all roads need lane markings, sign boards, scientific & smooth speed-breakers and well made sidewalks with drains underneath. Tar isn't porous enough and since its also kind of smooth water runs right off of it to flow and accumulate in the sides causing massive floods and stagnant water. I'm talking from experience when I say that my neighbourhood has water-logging tendency.. its gotten worse with the fact that everyone smoothens-out their space outside the boundary wall with cement to make their houses appear "neat". We left that part outside our house to be natural and till date we've not had a flooding incident - the water is sucked right in by the earth and it dries immediately. Likewise I wish the government had the sense to leave about 3-4 feet wide plain lands at either sides of the road which can be also used to plant trees at every 10-20 feet length, you can forget about flooding in that case.
Lane markings? Are you serious? I have seen people on roads/highways which have lane markings and they don't seem to have a clue what the "white line" is all about. Some even tend to think it is prudent to drive on them. So lane discipline needs to be enforced/taught.

As far as speed breakers are concerned, no amount of science can deter people from not aggressively taking the speed breakers or sudden breaking just in front of them.

The side-walks you talk about do exist. However, you cannot see them because "redi-waalas" set up their operations on them. They are also used as a parking space.

Akhilesh's government executed a project to set-up cycle tracks in Indirapuram. Although it was executed successfully and was a noble idea, people have started using it for a host of purposes but riding cycles.

Delhi has, by far, the best roads in the country. It is people who make it a nightmare to travel on these roads.

Last edited by TheDesertRat : 17th July 2016 at 11:43.
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Though the major contributory towards ugly urban planning is the PWD officials, the real culprit is the common man who is the ultimate road user. Increasing pressure on the infrastructure of cities have led to this massive flooding. In the city of Chennai we have a concept called Storm-water Drains. The purpose of these drains are to transport excessive water accumulated over a period of rains to the bay of Bengal. These SWDs are active on paper only and whatever amount was sanctioned for construction of these drains have been gobbled up by the contractors resulting in retarded quality of construction which is not able to hold any sort of flow.

The December deluge of 2015 which hurt the City of Chennai, was resultant of some abysmal planning by the corporation officials. The water bodies were not desilted and slum dwellers were living on the banks of the river. Before laying a new road, the PWD officials didn't bothered to scratch the existing layer, which made the roads higher than houses and there was water logging everywhere. The storm water drains built by the Britishers in the old madras area was able to carry billions of gallons of water as the quality and planning of work was impeccable, unlike the cheap and sub standard work done by the modern contractors.
Perhaps, we should have remained a colony of Britain and would have become a developed nation by this time. Vision 2020 will very soon become Vision 2040
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote