200-249 kmph 167 11.73%
250-299 kmph 41 2.88%
300+ kmph 30 2.11%
Voters: 1424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2006, 22:38   #706
BHPian

mera 2 paise
In India driving even on straights at 120 cruising is dangerous and the occassional speed burst of maxxing to check top speed should be done with precaution preferably on a road u are well aware of and which offers you enough shoulder in case of any mishap like a "burst tyre" especially front tyre as it offers very limited choice of control (thats if God is on ur side).
So just take precautions as our roads are not engineered for "high speed" even if its a 4 lane or 6 lane and even if u consider the pune mumbai expressway u have so many missing "signs" (not considered of importance by Highway Authority), U will notice this very much when driving at night on the MB - Expressway.
Old 4th May 2006, 00:16   #707
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
...I must confess your post was almost as tough to read as some of the sms language ones that get deleted.
Let me fix my language next time.

Quote:
IMHO, it is slightly arrogant to assume that your version of the "right thing" would serve to offend only immature sensibilities.
Sir, no sense of overbearing self-importance nor assumption of superiority toward others was stated here nor implied. If you still saw arrogance, I apologize.

Quote:
It is also slightly unrealistic to impose a 50 kmph speed limit on a national highway. A lot of us use our discretion and our knowledge of automobiles to conclude what speeds to drive at.
I've been pulled over for driving too slow. Was doing 25 mph in a 35 mph zone in Marysville, Washington .

In another episode, while driving on the E19 expressway from Antwerp, Belgium to Breda, Netherlands, the speed limit changed at the border, from 120 km/h to 100 km/h. I was doing 140 in my Ford Taunus and was pulled over by a Dutch police car.

In both cases, my discretion and knowledge of automobiles didn't save me from a ticket and fine.

Enforcement of speed limits in most places in this world don't leave road users the freedom to conclude what speeds to drive at, based on their personal judgement.

It's just that lack of enforcement of the law in our country allows us to
jump to our own conclusions.

Quote:
...I find it slightly hilarious that some people preach and practise the exact opposite.
I agree with you, a lot of people do preach and practise opposites. Don't we see that in everyday life, on the street, in politics, in our professions?

I was merely reacting to so many kids driving their dad's cars at wild speeds. Look at the stats. Only 5% are within legal limits.
Old 4th May 2006, 09:30   #708
BHPian

Quote:
...I must confess your post was almost as tough to read as some of the sms language ones that get deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Let me fix my language next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Sir, no sense of overbearing self-importance nor assumption of superiority toward others was stated here nor implied.
couldnt help laughing at it.
Old 4th May 2006, 09:46   #709

i have touched 170 Kmph in my Honda City 1.3 (old model) on the mumbai pune expressway .... and about 145 Kmph on my Comet .....
Old 4th May 2006, 12:40   #710
BHPian

mine is 120km/hr in my Fiat Uno 1.7D, way back in 2002........i was going to Veegaland at Ernakulam (20 kms from there) from kayamkulam......took just 75-80 min for the journey of 120-130 kms......have touched 110km/hr in my second car, the new Ford Fiesta Tdci.....didn't want to push higher as it is a brand new car........anyway i dont think i'll be able to do better than that in our kerala highways!!!
Old 4th May 2006, 13:59   #711
BHPian

i have touched top speed of 140-150 on tbhp drive to alibaug.

this was in my accent.

no other records though

Regards

Shubbhi
Old 17th May 2006, 15:12   #712

Bullet Electra - 350 CC -
Max speed >> with holding Full accelerator for 30 seconds,
120 KPH on NH4 Bypass - Pune
Old 17th May 2006, 15:57   #713
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Enforcement of speed limits in most places in this world don't leave road users the freedom to conclude what speeds to drive at, based on their personal judgement.

It's just that lack of enforcement of the law in our country allows us to
jump to our own conclusions.
In principle what you say is correct. But like so many principles in India, it doesn't work in practice. Why? Because speed limits are set at absurdly (even dangerously) low levels in India. There is no way that they can ever be enforced. I have pointed this out before in this very thread - speed limits like 30, 50 or 80 kmph at various locations on the Mumbai-Pune expressway are not just absurdly low, but dangerously so. Someone like you from abroad may get confused and actually slow your vehicle to 30 kmph when most others are doing 70 - 90 kmph (with some measure of comfort and safety). A scenario tailor-made for an accident. I will say this much -- if these kinds of speed limits are enforced on the Expressway, I will prefer to take the old Mumbai-Pune road on the NH4, because the Expressway would no longer serve my purpose. Of course, outside the Expressway, I have seen still more absurd speed limits like 10 kmph (my Santro can barely get off first gear at this speed).
Regards, rks
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:15   #714
Senior - BHPian

Chevvy Aveo ---> 165 Kmph
Honda City 1.5 ---> 176 kmph
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:33   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Well, in my father's 1948 Morris 8, I remember having managed 60kmph.
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT meant to be nitpicking.

I have a feeling you were doing 60 mph (about 100 kmph) as the Morris shows speed in MPH and not KMPH. My uncle had one and he was proud that it could still do 60-70 mph despite its age...bloody smooth, too.

Unless this one had a pricol or yenkey put in to replace the original, in which case the indicated speed would be wrong.
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:39   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I have a feeling you were doing 60 mph (about 100 kmph) as the Morris shows speed in MPH and not KMPH. My uncle had one and he was proud that it could still do 60-70 mph despite its age...bloody smooth, too.
Correct Steer. Have heard an anecdote from a colleague, apocryphal maybe, of his uncle escaping the speed police by showing the cops he was driving at 60.
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:44   #717
BHPian

My highest was 170-180 kmph....not sure exactly coz dint want to take my eyes off the road and luk at the speedo Just a peek and i saw the needle across 170 mark and tickin off The Car? ..... Mitsubishi Galant 04 ... I did it in Kuwait when i was just 15 years old Well i just learnt how to drive that Friday mrng at my Dad;s Site...he taught me ... piece of cake but i cud not reverse properly ... BTW it was an automatic not manual. My dad literally skipped a beat when i put the gear in reverse and hit the gas and the car zoomed back! Then after 15 min practice at 40 kmph ...... I hit the Ring Road (Expressway) and hit the gas .... my dad was so scared that i mite smack the car in the divider .....even i was kinda scared so i slowed down and handed the car to my dad ......Man one day i will never forget!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by adya33 : 24th May 2006 at 19:24.
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:53   #718
Senior - BHPian

furioussphinx
First car day, and already over the top speeds!!?? Its usually start low, but this!!!

Better watchout for the smiley count unless u wanna be kicked out
Old 24th May 2006, 19:44   #719
Senior - BHPian

Not my top speed, but the tacho looks really nice in this pic taken on my way to work this morning....

Old 24th May 2006, 19:58   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Not my top speed, but the tacho looks really nice in this pic taken on my way to work this morning....
Is that golden shiny thing a Ganesha Idol? Apart from ABS/ESP/EBS/AirBags, that one is greatest safety measure
Closed Thread