150-199 kmph 632 44.38%
200-249 kmph 167 11.73%
250-299 kmph 41 2.88%
300+ kmph 30 2.11%
Voters: 1424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2007, 13:04   #1051

^ Interesting!

Funny that you know it as the Mass Pike too. I typed that and then corrected to I-90. It was mentally challenging transposing "New York Thruway" on that when going ice racing this weekend. Do you make it out here often?

I can understand some of those situations, but we have a few similar hazards here. #2 reminds me of deer, which scare the hell out me spring-fall. I've had some close calls. #3 is understandable, but half the roads I'm going that fast on don't have dividers either (obviously not the big interstates). Sounds like "highway" is relative over there.

I think I've whacked upwards of 125mph (~200kph) in my beater here, but that's a LOT more power than most of you guys seem to have to work with (sounds like some of your bikes make more power than most of your cars). Very impressive.

Are there ever relatively open roads there? Off-peak hours? Late at night?

I think I logged 150mi sideways in the snowstorm last night. Using the roads at 2-3AM when every sane person is in bed is great -- rally turns through blind 90 deg corners become possible.

Last edited by Multiades : 16th February 2007 at 13:06.
Old 16th February 2007, 13:17   #1052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiades View Post
^ Interesting!

Funny that you know it as the Mass Pike too. I typed that and then corrected to I-90. It was mentally challenging transposing "New York Thruway" on that when going ice racing this weekend. Do you make it out here often?

Yes, i lived in Boston for quite a while, so have fond memories of the city and its suburbs and use to commute daily from Marlbourough to Boston through Route 20

Here as mentioned the roads are rapidly improving and some of them are nearly as good as the roads in US. One example is :- Pune-Mumbai expressway which is uninterrupted divider laid driving experience where you can easily touch 200+kmph speeds with almost none of the fear that i outlined below.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:34   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiades View Post
^ Interesting!

I can understand some of those situations, but we have a few similar hazards here. #2 reminds me of deer, which scare the hell out me spring-fall. I've had some close calls. #3 is understandable, but half the roads I'm going that fast on don't have dividers either (obviously not the big interstates). Sounds like "highway" is relative over there.

I think I've whacked upwards of 125mph (~200kph) in my beater here, but that's a LOT more power than most of you guys seem to have to work with (sounds like some of your bikes make more power than most of your cars). Very impressive.

I think I logged 150mi sideways in the snowstorm last night. Using the roads at 2-3AM when every sane person is in bed is great -- rally turns through blind 90 deg corners become possible.
We do have open roads late at night, but there are multiple risks
1. Cattle running across road
2. Villagers or trucks coming the wrong way to save going an extra Km for the U turn
3. People crossing the roads
4. A new pothole, which if you hit at 100kmph+ you will turn turtle
5. An unmarked "hump" called a speedbreaker which can launch you into orbit.

Add to that the cars which are geared for FE rather than performance, which means thin tires. For example hyundai getz can do 160kmph, and the base version comes with tires which are capable only upto 150kmph according to the speed rating on the sidewall.

Sure the market is opening up, and you have powerful diesels coming in which give a good mix of economy and power, but mostly the top speeds on freeways will hover around 120kmph max if you want to drive safely.
Some expressways allow for 170kmph of save driving too on hot summer afternoons when few dare to venture out.

Night high speed is never safe due to the above mentioned reasons.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:42   #1054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We do have open roads late at night, but there are multiple risks
1. Cattle running across road
2. Villagers or trucks coming the wrong way to save going an extra Km for the U turn
3. People crossing the roads
4. A new pothole, which if you hit at 100kmph+ you will turn turtle
5. An unmarked "hump" called a speedbreaker which can launch you into orbit.
Let's not forget trucks parked in absolute darkness in your lane with big rocks all around it. Or the bullock cart without lights coming in the opposite side in the fast lane of 4-lane highway in absolute darkness.
Old 16th February 2007, 14:44   #1055
Team-BHP Support

And night driving mean oncoming vehicles headlight glaring reducing visibility.

Sometime truckers park on the left lane with all lights switched off.

Going at high speeds into a stationary truck is the most common accident here in india. there have been several deaths due to these.

Overall, the road conditions dont allow you to go above 120Kmph.

Some drivers dont even have proper knowledge of highway driving or high speed driving.
Old 16th February 2007, 15:02   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let's not forget trucks parked in absolute darkness in your lane with big rocks all around it. Or the bullock cart without lights coming in the opposite side in the fast lane of 4-lane highway in absolute darkness.
Just the thought of it gives me the shudders. When driving in night, i remember this point and take necessary precautions.

One of the best way is to continously change from high to low beam so your vision improves and in advance we can recognize such trucks parked on the road not on the shoulder And, i personally drive like those Volvo or bus drivers keeping to my right side of the road that gives a better advantage to avoid those dark and invisible behmoths
Old 16th February 2007, 15:21   #1057
BHPian

Default and the spiraling fuel prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Multiades, assuming you never been to India, here the talk about achieving speeds above 100kmph becomes a matter of pride since the highway conditions are not comparable to the US ( I love driving on Mass Pike) and we need to have nerves of steel and super human reflexes to be prepared for whatever that may come in between the road, following are some examples that is extremely endangering to live

1) There is no such thing called studious lane changing, though highway drivers are becoming more and more educated now

2) Cattle crossing the roads since we pass innumerable small villages when driving on highways

3) 90% of the highways do not have a divider in between so incoming and outgoing can swerve, slide into whichever lane they want

4) People,bicylists, motorcyclists just entering into the main highway road from the exit without any signal

Having said that, our roads are rapidly improving and acheiving those speeds is a matter of thrill and pride to us. I have personally touched 175kmph in a 1.5 L diesel car having 82bhp and looking to improve
Quote:
Yes, i lived in Boston for quite a while, so have fond memories of the city and its suburbs and use to commute daily from Marlbourough to Boston through Route 20

Here as mentioned the roads are rapidly improving and some of them are nearly as good as the roads in US. One example is :- Pune-Mumbai expressway which is uninterrupted divider laid driving experience where you can easily touch 200+kmph speeds with almost none of the fear that i outlined below.
Add increasing fuel prices to the above facts, people are not really interested in muscle cars. Most common cars would deliver 50-80 BHP.
Old 16th February 2007, 16:43   #1058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Add increasing fuel prices to the above facts, people are not really interested in muscle cars. Most common cars would deliver 50-80 BHP.
Dude, 50bhp is way too low, give some more credit. We too have now jumped onto the bhp bandwagon and except maruti 800 no other car produced 50bhp and ofcourse like you said, FE is one of the major criteria for buying a car.
Old 16th February 2007, 18:48   #1059

Talking huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rage View Post
428 miles in less than 4 hrs??? you mush have hit an average of 107 MPH and you never slowed @ the toll... never looked for cops... man you must be quite a driver... never stopped for a break!!... never took any exits from I94 to chicago where the speed limit is 25Mph... mmmm

387 Kms in 4 hours Humpi to Bangalore on an Fiat Adventure. I did it :P was not tough ..
Old 16th February 2007, 19:44   #1060
Senior - BHPian

I played it safe....
Max 135 KMPH for 2-3 min on Exp highway, Pune - Mumbai

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport
Old 16th February 2007, 20:00   #1061
BHPian

Default would love to think so

Quote:
Dude, 50bhp is way too low, give some more credit. We too have now jumped onto the bhp bandwagon and except maruti 800 no other car produced 50bhp and ofcourse like you said, FE is one of the major criteria for buying a car.
I am inclined very much to do so, but Maruti 800/ Omni (37), Maruti Zen D (57), Maruti Alto BS-II (47), Diesel Indica (52/53) fall in the lower BHP category.

I do not mean to hurt any one's sentiments, I am trying mention some facts. I have one more point to mention, won't the FE improve if traffic was more disciplined and flow was better.
Old 18th February 2007, 12:42   #1062

Default BAck to the toPic

here's my top speed in a scorpio CRDe on the mumbai - pune expressway..

Old 18th February 2007, 13:45   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Speedo indicated 210 on the baleno when it was stock

search on youtube!

Last edited by binz : 18th February 2007 at 14:01.
Old 18th February 2007, 13:59   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Speedo indicated 210 on the baleno when it was stock
HOLYCOW
You car doing 120kmph in 2nd is great....but this is insane!
Old 18th February 2007, 15:27   #1065
BHPian

Verna VGT:- 185 KM/h Greater Noida Expressway
Closed Thread