Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 10:58   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Dogs tear off TYVEX car cover. Any peaceful solution ?

Disclaimer : I am not against dogs or any pets or their owners. Its only the preventive medicine I am looking for.

Recently, I bought a tyvex car cover for my swift. Yesteryday, after polishing and waxing my car, I put on the cover for the day on my vehicle and today morning I saw that the cover has been torn by the dogs near the right wheel arch. I was shocked . Tearing a TYVEX cover requires atmost strength, which I believe the dogs near my house do possess. They cannot be shooed away nor can be taken care of by BBMP. They even made a couple of deep scratches on my vehicles bonnet.

What I am looking for is to peaceful method so that the dogs can be kept away from my car. Is there any device that can repel dogs from my vehicle, like the ones we have for rodents and cockroaches ?

Any pointers is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 14:25   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,303 Times
Default

this is weird. Dogs dont normally attack stationary vehicles or their covers as far as I ve seen. Unless of course they were having a fight nearby and somehow the car cover became involved.
suggest check this out and see if there are any local vandals around your area because without having actually seen the dogs attacking the car and its cover one cannot assume that it was dogs in the first place. Even the scratches on the bonnet. My dogs have jumped on the car sometimes when they are excited, especially when greeting me when I get home - but any scratches they have left, have been very shallow and goes off with car polish/ wax. Their claws are not of the type that can inflict extremely deep scratches and nor are they in the habit of sharpening their claws against trees, posts and so on- it is usually the big cats that do that sort of thing.

I feel strongly this may be some kind of vandalism attack- so please be careful to check and then figure out preventive medicine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Disclaimer : I am not against dogs or any pets or their owners. Its only the preventive medicine I am looking for.

Recently, I bought a tyvex car cover for my swift. Yesteryday, after polishing and waxing my car, I put on the cover for the day on my vehicle and today morning I saw that the cover has been torn by the dogs near the right wheel arch. I was shocked . Tearing a TYVEX cover requires atmost strength, which I believe the dogs near my house do possess. They cannot be shooed away nor can be taken care of by BBMP. They even made a couple of deep scratches on my vehicles bonnet.

What I am looking for is to peaceful method so that the dogs can be kept away from my car. Is there any device that can repel dogs from my vehicle, like the ones we have for rodents and cockroaches ?

Any pointers is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:04   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Last year my car's cover became victim and almost the entire cover was in peaces...
actually when its windy the covers keep flapping and the noise attracts them...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:12   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

@Shankar

No vandals at my location. Can easily see the torn pieces of the cover and it can be made out to be from the dog.

Actually a new puppy has come to our area and i have my doubts on him. As rightly pointed out the dog marks can be covered up by Polish, which I do it every fortnight, but it pains to see the cover torn apart.

Will keep a watch out for other things. Surprisingly, it affects my car only, neatly maintained, polished, covered and a beauty in the lane.

Other cars which are parked outside, including Qualis, 800, Getz Black, Balck Santro doesnt seem to be attractive to dogs.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:15   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,303 Times
Default

the cover could be flapping a bit as has been mentioned
maybe you should tie it up underneath - side to side as well as front to back - this will reduce the flapping on windy days.
puppies can be attracted by the flapping and may pull and tear the cover - yes - but the scratch marks? I still would suggest that you see whether there is some malicious character hanging around scratching the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
@Shankar

No vandals at my location. Can easily see the torn pieces of the cover and it can be made out to be from the dog.

Actually a new puppy has come to our area and i have my doubts on him. As rightly pointed out the dog marks can be covered up by Polish, which I do it every fortnight, but it pains to see the cover torn apart.

Will keep a watch out for other things. Surprisingly, it affects my car only, neatly maintained, polished, covered and a beauty in the lane.

Other cars which are parked outside, including Qualis, 800, Getz Black, Balck Santro doesnt seem to be attractive to dogs.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:15   #6
BHPian
 
Spinnerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 339
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dogs dont normally attack stationary vehicles .....
Well, Dogs do attack, usually when they chase those huge rodents or cats, and when these rodents take refuge inside the engine bay, they usually get in through the gap between the tyre, so the first thing these dogs bite off are the mud flaps, or if your car has cover, then that.

There are no sure shot methods, but I was able to keep the rats away using kerosene. During my Zen days, I used to load this sprayer with kerosene and go around the car, spraying at the bottom of the cover and the mudflaps, most of the evenings.

Now, if there are some mischief makers around or some people smoking... well, keep the insurance papers ready in that case.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:20   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,303 Times
Default

this point I appreciate - a rat or maybe even a bunch of rats had made themselves comfortable and built a home inside the bonnet of my Swift about a year ago or so.
While getting it cleaned up, I figured out with the help of the mechanic that we had to introduce a metal mesh type arrangement inside which prevented the rats access to that area.
And I remember all our dogs used to keep circling the car sniffing interestedly - undoubtedly there must have been rats hanging around inside the engine bay at the time.
however, they didnt try and jump and scratch the car and so on nor bite the flaps nor the cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Well, Dogs do attack, usually when they chase those huge rodents or cats, and when these rodents take refuge inside the engine bay, they usually get in through the gap between the tyre, so the first thing these dogs bite off are the mud flaps, or if your car has cover, then that.

There are no sure shot methods, but I was able to keep the rats away using kerosene. During my Zen days, I used to load this sprayer with kerosene and go around the car, spraying at the bottom of the cover and the mudflaps, most of the evenings.

Now, if there are some mischief makers around or some people smoking... well, keep the insurance papers ready in that case.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:29   #8
BHPian
 
karizma_devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

@lambuhere1 you are lucky they were satisfied with the cover ..

Few stray dogs chewed my Palio S10's rear Mud flaps !
They even dug few holes on the lower side of the fenders !!

Wonder Why !
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:34   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,487
Thanked: 6,764 Times
Default

You get sprays which can be applied which will keep the dog away from the car, from pee's and bites Saw it at the pet shop here in BLR.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:51   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You get sprays which can be applied which will keep the dog away from the car, from pee's and bites Saw it at the pet shop here in BLR.
Jaggu, Would love to lay my hands on the said spray. Can you redirect me to the said shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
@lambuhere1 you are lucky they were satisfied with the cover ..

Few stray dogs chewed my Palio S10's rear Mud flaps !
They even dug few holes on the lower side of the fenders !!

Wonder Why !
Believe they need to be in a competition. Wonder why they dont try on robbers and other mischiefs.

@Shankar : Rodents, its a possibility, as I have a covered drain at the place I park my car. Will shift my parking location and then observe.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 16:36   #11
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You get sprays which can be applied which will keep the dog away from the car, from pee's and bites Saw it at the pet shop here in BLR.
+1 to this idea.
My car is now used to the territory marking by dogs now.

The bad part is when I put on the cover, dogs still do it.
So end up washing the cover every now and then to get rid of the stink.

Other option is not to use the cover (which I'm doing now)

Now the marking is done on the tyres.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 16:48   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Elementary My dear Watson

I had also bought the Tyvex cover for my Altis in April. I keep my car in a huge parking near my house. Within 15 days dogs tore about 1 sq. feet of cover from front and back side of the car. I found the torn pieces in the morning near the car.

I had shrugged off the incident as a one off but this thread got me thinking.
The Tyvex cover generates big amount of static electricity after coming in contact with dry hot air which is common in April, May June. While taking off the cover in the morning I received strong electric shock many times.

Dogs have a habit of sneaking below the car for sleeping. In doing so they must have touched the bottom part of the cover and received electric shock. Once stung, the dogs would have attacked the cover in retaliation and tore off the cover. I dont think there is any remedy to this till the manufacturer puts some anti static treatment on the cover.

The only remedy which I have discovered is to spray water on the cover, but nobody can keep it doing through entire summers. Problem will not arise in high humidity season. I wash the cover once in 15 days and that also seems to have reduced the static generation.

Last edited by akj53 : 24th August 2009 at 16:50.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 17:21   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,544
Thanked: 7,594 Times
Default

Sprinkle generous amounts of chilli powder at strategic locations, including the wheels. It should keep animals away, if that is the problem.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 17:24   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 1,097 Times
Talking Har har!

Hey lambuhere, werent you the guy asking for info on tyvex car covers some months back?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...mga-tyvex.html (Which Body Cover for my Swift? EDIT : Bought MGA Tyvex)

I'd told you to forget these fancy names and go buy a course tarpaulin cover. It would have given the canines a genuine "teething" problem. Too bad you didnt listen to me then.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 22:10   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 258
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Put some nilgiri drops around the vehicle.
The strong pungent smell should drive them away.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uneven wear & tear of front tyres on my OHC vijays15 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 20th November 2012 11:24
Wear & Tear of the rear tyres on my Hyundai Elantra alphamike Technical Stuff 10 9th August 2010 14:04
Peaceful Pondicherry - Nov 27 to 29 rrahul_2778 Travelogues 24 7th December 2009 20:52
Which Body Cover for my Swift? EDIT : Bought MGA Tyvex lambuhere1 Technical Stuff 15 27th July 2009 11:31
A tear in the eye for all Zen lovers Revvmaster The Indian Car Scene 6 28th December 2006 17:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks