Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th August 2009, 12:42   #16
BHPian

This happened to me while travelling from Agra to Noida, usually I used to travel alone pre-marriage. At a place there were police barricades and the traffic was slowing down, on watching me alone, two police constables asked me to stop and demanded lift, I smiled (will tell you later) and agreed. They kept boasting about what not, etc etc that once they took lift from a merc and what not. They wanted to get off at Mathura (which is around 45 kms from Agra), when I was about to reach the junction where they wanted to get off I told that I too have many close ones in the police force, my grandfather was a DIG (though he is no more), my dad's bro is an inspector and then I threw the bombshell about my mom's real brother who is still in service and is an IPS office in the UP Cadre. On hearing this their faces turned white and immediately they started calling me "Sir" was very hilarious, they then kept apologising if they had caused any trouble etc. When they got off they saluted me (which I didnt like though) lol, Indian government officials...sigh
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 12:46   #17
BHPian

This reminds me of the various instances where i have offered drop to people not just elderly but also youngsters and children. It feels very nice to see the smile on their face when we stop to give them a drop . But i do make sure that they are genuine help seekers and offer drop only during broad day light.
fast_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I used to drive 2-wheeler (until mid 90s), giving lifts was very common. Strangers asked for lift and strangers gave lifts. Then Bangalore started growing out of control and the innocence was lost.
Rightly said Samurai, I miss the old times in bangalore.. Being born and brought up here I feel a stranger sometimes..
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:29   #19
BHPian

I normally do not offer lift but one day, while I was coming back from office, it was quite late around 11 PM, empty stretch and street lights were also not working, I saw a guy, who was walking in the same direction as mine and had a tyre in one hand, he was not looking for lift. I stopped near by him and asked if I can be any help, he told me that his car had a flat tyre and he was coming after getting the punctured tyre repaired. His car was around 2 KM away from where I met him. So I offered him a lift and dropped him near to his car where his friend was standing next to his car.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I still give lifts to people if its broad daylight and i am in a familiar area.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:41   #21
BHPian

I don't offer lifts to strangers for safety reasons. A decade ago, I was at a signal when two men on a bike next to me asked for directions. When I showed them the right way, he rider said " can you drop him there" and before I realized, he pillion rider had hopped from the other bike to behind me and I ended up dropping him ...A novel way to ask for a lift was what came to my mind.
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

^ I had something similar happen to me long back on the highway between Hyderabad and Bangalore.

A man tried on sit on my bike as I was stuck in traffic, with drop chayindi or something.
No Way. I already moved a bit in the front as he started raising his leg to climb on.
The tBird has a nice back rest for the pillion rider.

When my bike moved he got it right between his legs.
Plus he learnt a few new words in Hindi, Tamil and English.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

He he this just happened. I was asking my way around from Tavarekere towards Forum. This man jumps on my back seat and says come I will show you the way. He got down mid way and showed me rest of the directions. Fair enough, win win for both. He looked more of a simpleton, it was broad daylight, and lots of people around to carry out lootery. So it was fine.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

When i was riding 2 wheeler here in BLR i used to regularly give lifts during my daily commute between Indira Nagar and Koramangala. Sometimes at really wee hours.

Had received the same favor back on few occasions where i was left stranded without a ride, those days the IT park on IRR had recently opened and public transport a rarity on this route.

As Samurai said somehow that innosense seems to be fading away :(
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

I used to carpool with a friend of mine and we used to give lifts from E-city to koramangala a few times to pretty ladies waiting in the E-city bus stand.

More often than not Infy/Wipro employees. Almost all the girls ask for the company ID before taking a lift.

Some interesting conversations can be had during the loooong drive to Koramangala.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:20   #26
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I was somehow touched and happy at the same time.
Shankar,

A heart warming story indeed. Way back in 2005, my friend once gave a police constable a lift at night as he was standing in a bus stop in pouring rain at 11 in the night signalling for someone to stop.

After that when ever we returned late and if he were standing there, he used to hop into our car as he stayed enroute to my house. My friend didn't know Kannada, so I used to chat up with the constable each time.

This went on for close to a year after which the guy was transfered to north Karnataka. Before he left, he invited us home and introduced us to his wife, kid and his elderly parents. They were full of gratitude towards us.

We both left the house with a box of sweets

Sometimes, simple gestures go a long way!

Regards,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

Regards,
gpa
Ahh! So they too are human eh ?
And shame on you to gobble up the Dharwad pedha box all alone.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 15:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

you said it man- its a good feeling to be able to help people in however small a way.

Some years ago - used to do the Madras -Pondy route early morning every Monday - on many occasions there were Police constables who were being summoned to "bandobast" duty in places like Cuddalore etc on the coast and expected to find their own way there and then stand the whole day in the hot sun without even a drink of water while some fat, miserable, ugly politico or other "dignitary" did the vote collecting run in some fancy SUV or whatever. I used to always stop and give them a lift upto Pondy from where they would catch a bus. I became pals with many such Police constables just by this small gesture. it gave me a different slant on life to chat with these guys, stop en route and maybe have a cup of tea by the road side with them. they are human beings - they havent maybe had some of the advantages that some of us have - but it doesnt make them lesser in any way. Just that their circumstances are tough so I think we should help when possible.

Quite recently,three or four months ago I saw an elderly gentleman standing in the sun on a hot day - he was haggling with a few auto chaps and none of them wanted to help him so I stopped and took him along with me since he wanted to go to his son's place which is literally behind my house. Such thanks as he gave me, I ve never received in my life - its sad when people simply dont care about older people.

then theres an institution a sort of charity service for visually impaired people quite near my house. Several times Ive seen them - poor guys (some ladies too), walking with the guiding stick, even in the rain, mud, hot sun and so on - and making their way to the bus stand etc. several times I ve given some of them a drop up to Koramangala or other places where they go to work and which are also on my way to work. They are proud people - they have pride in their work and the fact that they manage on their own - we should respect that and yet, help them in some way possible.

Most people simply dont care any more to stop or be kind to them or help - I hate that behaviour.

People are so busy making money and running their stupid deadlines that they've pretty much given up on simple decent things like "consideration for others", basic manners etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Shankar,

A heart warming story indeed. Way back in 2005, my friend once gave a police constable a lift at night as he was standing in a bus stop in pouring rain at 11 in the night signalling for someone to stop.

After that when ever we returned late and if he were standing there, he used to hop into our car as he stayed enroute to my house. My friend didn't know Kannada, so I used to chat up with the constable each time.

This went on for close to a year after which the guy was transfered to north Karnataka. Before he left, he invited us home and introduced us to his wife, kid and his elderly parents. They were full of gratitude towards us.

Regards,
gpa

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th August 2009 at 15:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 21:07   #29
BHPian

great thread! I think we should also think about other actions such as letting pedestrians, especially the aged and young kids, cross the road.

I am a sucker for letting pedestrians cross at intersections. I do this very often, the only time I feel stupid is when the person doesn't understand that I am letting him/her cross! What I ensure is there is no vehicle tailgating me.

Any other such actions, or experiences?
carZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 05:02   #30
BHPian

Default Helping an elderly Couple...

This incident happened when we had been to Hogenakkal a year back for a day trip in my friends Scorpio. We were on the way back after having a fun filled day of coracle ride, nice meal by the river-side cooked by the locals & with fresh fish caught in the river etc., just when we entered the main road we saw hordes of people lined up to catch a bus back to the nearest town/village. We were caught in a traffic jam for 5 minutes & noticed that all the buses were coming completely jam-packed. There were people in every nook & corner of the bus... a lot of them top of it as well (a typical scene in most parts of rural India). We also noticed that there was this seemingly elderly couple trying to board the buses without luck... were just being pushed around by the crowd. They finally had to give up and walked a little ahead of the bus stop and tried their luck in hitch-hiking.

I had read a couple of horror stories about being way-laid and some untoward incidents in the recent past and when they waved at us to stop, something told me that we shouldn't & I drove off. After about 200mtrs I stopped, because my wife & other 2 friends pestered me to drop them. I reluctantly turned around to come and pick them up. They saw us stop and I could see their face light up as soon as my friend asked them to hop in.

They shared a little about their life and hardship while traveling. To think that I hesitated to help them initially kills me with guilt till this date.

Apparently both of them work with the govt. as small time clerks but for 1 for the Karnataka Govt. and the other for the Tamilnadu. The mother stays with their son in a small town in Tamilnadu (Near Hosur) while her husband works in Karnataka somewhere. Their son is studying in an engineering college & doing well in his studies, but it being a private college they have to pay hefty fees & are bearing it out of 8-10K that they are earning. Sacrificing every little joy that we take for granted, the gentleman was also saying that he comes to visit them only once a year to save on travel costs etc., They were actually in Hogenakkal that day to celebrate their 25th marriage anniversary and they've been saving for this day for over 6 months now! Just imagine staying separated by only 300 odd kms from your family and not being able to see them for a year because you want to save that 200Rs towards your son's education... Now that is dedication towards your family commitments.

I was really moved that day, moved by the fact they are struggling so much to up bring their son, struggling for months to save that 100Rs to have a moment for themselves & go out somewhere. That's probably the kind of amount most of us would spend without even thinking about it. Had we not picked them up that day, they would've had to walk almost 20 - 25kms in a deserted stretch of highway, through the jungle in the night to reach the nearest town & catch another bus from there...

I had refused to pick them only in the interest of my friends and family's safety. A few incidents that have occurred in that area doesn't really inspire confidence to help strangers, but due to such miscreants even the genuine folks are being let down. That's really sad... but how do you tell them apart?

We were however happy that we could help them a little that day... The 'smile' and 'thank you' as we dropped them off was so sincere, that it brought more happiness than all the fun we had the whole day! Magical indeed.

Cheers!
Goutham G
Venom_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote