Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: How often do you get challan'ed?
Never been challan'ed! I'm too good a driver 25 22.52%
Rarely/less than once a year. I'm super-careful driver 59 53.15%
Once a year on average. I'm a careful driver 17 15.32%
Twice a year on average. I drive well, but sometimes... 8 7.21%
Thrice a year on average. Mistakes happen... 1 0.90%
More than thrice a year. The cops are biased... 1 0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th October 2009, 22:58   #46
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
He had a speedgun and he was right about the speed. So I paid the fine of Rs.300 and got a receipt. The offense on the receipt reads "Found speeding at 62Kmph which is an offense"
Didn't know that we have cops with speed guns on our highways now! I did 110 on the stretch between hubli and dharwad... thank god no one flagged me down...
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Its been about 10 years since 1999 since I learnt driving.

Have been challaned about 15 times I guess.

That too mainly on the bike.
The challans have happened majorly because my bike is a GJ number roaming the streets of Mumbai...

And the moment the good "mama" sees that, he gets biased
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:35   #48
BHPian

Last friday, I was driving back to home. At KR Puram Cable Fly over, I was stopped by the policeman. He alleged that I have jumped the signal, but the fact was I did not jump, it was Green for sure. The police man walked upto me and said, if it is okay for me to pay him 100Rs, he would let me go. But I was not willing to. He has noted down my registration number. It looks like I gonnal get memo at home and I migght need to pay the fine.

Ever since I have upgraded to a 4 wheeler, I have been very cautious even while riding my bike, I do not sneak between the cars or jump the signal or show any kind of road rage these days.
varriers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

No challans for the first three years and two this year.

And this for a guy who drives at 40 kmph. :'(

One was for talking on the mobile inside a colony! :'(

One was for jumping a red light. That light has no sanctity and is rarely working. Delhi cops hide in places where they can issue challans.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:28   #50
BHPian

No tickets since 1992 till 3rd Oct 09
1) 3rd Oct 09: overspeeding on New Airport Road I was doing 85 the limit is 80: Paid 300/-
2) 4th Oct 09: Jumping Signal at Marathahalli: 5 Cars took a free left turn I followed and got caught too - Paid 100/-

So 2 tickets in less than 24hrs.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

i have got caught thrice till now, All were in one day!!

First was at 3 in the morningn when i was getting back home from a friends party.
Pulled the handbrake and came sideways onto my house lane only to come face to face with a hoysala jeep! Since i don't drink I managed to get away with just a warning ..

Same day at around 2pm,made the left at cubbon road towards Anil Kumble circle(I looked before makiing the turn and there was no 'no free left' board on the left of the road. So i get stopped by an inspector and argued that was wasn't any indication of 'no free left'. I go back have a look and see the sign is on the right side of the road. Genius!
Tried arguing with the cop but wasn't any use. So I paid a 100buck fine(not bribe).

Then I got a 100buck challan for illegal parking. And the closest no parking boards was 200 mtrs away!!

Both times my number was entered in their blackberry, thank God this is India otherwise my licence would have been revoked by now!

Last edited by binz : 28th October 2009 at 13:33.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:38   #52
BHPian

Got booked around a month ago for not wearing helmet. The fine was for 100. Now, I am taking by helmet whenever I go out, tie it to my bike, and whenever a "checking prone" area comes I will wear it.
Anoop RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:39   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
2) 4th Oct 09: Jumping Signal at Marathahalli: 5 Cars took a free left turn I followed and got caught too - Paid 100/-
I got caught at the same place as well. I didnt look at the signal and followed the car in front of me, which was a black Alto, while i was on my bike.

Both of us got pulled up. I didnt argue, and paid the fine.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 13:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop RD View Post
whenever I go out, tie it to my bike, and whenever a "checking prone" area comes I will wear it.
We don't think that is too smart. Whom are you trying to cheat? May better sense prevail. Amen.
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 20:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop RD View Post
Got booked around a month ago for not wearing helmet. The fine was for 100. Now, I am taking by helmet whenever I go out, tie it to my bike, and whenever a "checking prone" area comes I will wear it.

The helmets are for your own safety. It is only advisable to wear it. Team-BHP encourages safe and responsible driving. Please wear your helmet whenever out on a two wheeler.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 20:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Got challaned a 2 times, for not carrying the papers of the bike (college time), once for speaking on the phone while coasting to a stop on a red light (I always avoid talking on the phone while driving but picked up the call as I was about to stop anyways).
A couple of other times got caught for not having paid KA roadtax.

edit : Heyyy my 1000th post
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:47   #57
BHPian

Default Fine with fines

I travel about 800 odd kms a month these days mostly from one end of palm beach to the other 6 days a week.

Fines - Total of 3 tickets in last 10 years .
One for speeding at 70kmph on Palm Beach Rd ! Ridiculous as it may seem, everybody was and continue to do 80+ in normal days. That day I just decided to take it easy and was cruizing at 70 in the right most lane. Cops just had to meet their quotas. Ticket paid with Receipt.
Next came the jumping of red light. Crossed the Vashi Depot intersection on orange with the cop waiting at the turn all drooling " aa ja aa jaa." Another ticket with receipt

The first one I ever got was a classic and unforgettable.
Was in the US and was shifting from Chicago to New Jersey with me and the wife in tow with all our household effects stuffed in our darling Nissan Maxima sedan.
Here we are in Ohio where the speed limit is 60 mph. In a moderately dense traffic, I switched from the top speed lane to the middle lane to overtake the nut ahead, and bang, the cop was right in front of me with a speed gun. One instant I knew, I am going to get chewed, saw the speedometer and saw I was doing 85mph, 5 short of getting arrested without notice.

So the cop car starts his blinkers and pulls me over. Asks for the regular papers stuff and tells me I am doing 82mph. I protest " No, No, officer. I was doing only 70. So excuse me na?" So the wrangling continues for a minute more with the officer and the wifey holds her breath in scared numbed silence. Then cop asks for the Toll ticket. In the US, on interstate you have these toll tickets which are issued upfront and then paid for upon exit. So our pal, takes the ticket and after a few minutes comes back and says " Sir, according to your ticket, you passed the toll booth at xxxxpm and it is now xxxxpm. From the toll booth to the spot where I was positioned, it is xx miles. So going by that your average is 70mph"

Dead silence.Bolti Bandh. Officer, how much is the fine? 125 dollars ? Ok fine. Thanks and have a great Day"
longford is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 18:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How often do you get challan'ed? And why?

Got wrongfully challaned today by SI Mahipal Singh (D-2862)

Location- today morning while plying from AIIMS and turning right from a traffic light over moolchand underpass for jumping a red light!!
I was looking at the light till the last second while passing under it and it was green when I passed over the stop line.

When I explained it to the officer who flagged me down, (SI MAHIPAL SINGH (D-2862)), after showing him my driving license and registration, insurance, he kind of agreed that I hadn't jumped the red light and instead slapped a challan of dangerous driving which I can never do even in my dreams (184 MVA) and charged me INR1000.

I have been a consistent follower of traffic rules and strictly follow them irrespective of any situation. I didn't do anything wrong and still the SI charged me for what I'm literally incapable of doing!

Challan No- DFC-538-00583-14

Can it be possible to challenge this challan? As I know, I didn't do anything wrong!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 4th April 2014 at 18:45.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 11:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

My only challan till date...last August...for expired PUC (by 1 day). Actually, I was caught in their net laid for me!

When I looked back at the series of events, I immediately came to know that it was a plan to extract money. It was a circle with no traffic lights working (may have been switched off deliberately by the traffic cops). Then one cop controlling traffic at one end of the circle, from the side I was approaching (on my bike) signaled me to go (manually) and then stopped the traffic behind me. As soon as I crossed the circle, I saw another traffic cop waiting for catching the prey (me). I tried to explain him that I did not 'jump' the signal as the other cop stopped traffic behind me. By that time, the other cop joined in and they played along. I knew that moment that now all explanation is in vain as both are in nexus. They demanded all the papers first. I had them all. Showed the cops but somehow the PUC had expired a day before the incident. They immediately demanded Rs. 1000/- as fine. Then they took me to a corner and told me sympathetically that 'boy, it is your bad luck that you had the PUC but that expired just yesterday. So, legal fine of Rs. 1K will be too harsh for you. Just give us what you feel like and leave.' I handed over Rs. 100/- and left.

The next day was the festival of 'rakhi' and in our place, all cops get in super-active mode before all festivals for extra income to set off their own extra expenses during the festive times.

From then on, I made it a point to set a reminder on my phone to get the PUC for my car and bike before they expire.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 14:29   #60
BHPian

I got my first challan in 2 years last month. I took what I always knew to be a free left but as soon as I completed the turn a cop pulled me over and enlightened me that it was not a free left turn. Owned up the mistake, paid the fine (100/-), got a receipt for the same and moved on.
luvDriving is online now   Reply With Quote