Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th November 2013, 18:05   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Broad day light robbery at outer ring road Bangalore

Sad and scary.
Thugs block the car and they come in a jeep marked "Police" and they have a "gun".
Cannot imagine the harrowing experience your friend has gone through. There is nothing much anyone could do expect to safeguard one's own life

Many times I do imagine such things when I am travelling alone in my car late nights or travelling in autorickshaws when I am coming back from railway station/ bus stand.

What could be the precautions? i could list few below...
1) Carry less cash and have a debit card with a limit of 5K or less as mentioned by nijelj.
2) Have a small manual paper phone book with important numbers in case the mobiles gets stolen. (with the mobile innovation, we hardly remember phone numbers by heart)
ark_rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 20:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Not on the ring road.this was some interior route.kudlu road or nearby.
He was travelling to his home near kadubeesanahalli.

Could you please let us know the exact location by marking in a Google Map ?

Thanks.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 20:11   #48
BHPian

OMG This is really shocking. I frequently visit all these areas ORR, Marthalli, AECS as my aunt lives in AECS. This is really scary as most of the time I have my wife and kid with me in the car. How can we avoid these incidents all together? Travelling only at day time doesn't seem to work after reading this daylight robbery. I guess only thing one can do is to pray that it doesn't happen to him / her.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 22:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone thinking of Dashcams? An investment of few thousands can be a boon in situations like this.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 22:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

Could you please let us know the exact location by marking in a Google Map ?

Thanks.
Quoting my friends whatsapp msg "It was on the way from aecs layout to hsr layout just after bda layout in aecs. This road leads to second flyover on sarjapur road beyond silk board (towards iblur)"
Sorry, I don't know this area well enough to pinpoint on map.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 01:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that but something doesn't add up to be honest. Driving father in laws xuv alone and afraid to report this incident at 9pm Because of a family curfew ? And couldn't outrun a mahindra jeep though he was wary of these people. Anyway to each his own. Guys please be careful.

Last edited by sammyboy : 9th November 2013 at 01:38.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Sad to hear that but something doesn't add up to be honest. Driving father in laws xuv alone and afraid to report this incident at 9pm Because of a family curfew ? And couldn't outrun a mahindra jeep though he was wary of these people. Anyway to each his own. Guys please be careful.
I think he should have reported to police and may be asked them to keep it confidential. It is a responsibility to report a crime IMHO so that we are not indirectly encouraging it to thrive on.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 10:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
All of us tried to convince him to report it.But he's not budging.
The mahindra cut him off in such a way that his front bumper hit the jeep
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 19:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Quoting my friends whatsapp msg "It was on the way from aecs layout to hsr layout just after bda layout in aecs. This road leads to second flyover on sarjapur road beyond silk board (towards iblur)"
Sorry, I don't know this area well enough to pinpoint on map.
If this is bang on the ORR, then I'd be very surprised, given the time of the incident.

Normally I drive way too fast for anyone to stop me; but not sure what I'd have done if a Jeep with a "Police" sticker stops me.

May be its time to re-calibrate my policies...
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 10:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He couldn't take down the no of the vehicle which blocked him.
They did not see/take his jewellery
They did not take his phone
What could he have done in such a situation?
I am shaken.

Firstly ->

Why isn't your friend going to the cops and giving a formal written complaint? Fear of family or fear of being grounded is very stupid.
If these are indeed cops / thief's then the police top brass need to be informed of the same.
Media and public needs to be informed and warned about this.

Secondly ->

By not giving an formal complaint he is putting lives of others at risk, what if the something happens tomorrow to someone else ?

Did the thugs speak in the Kannada or some other language?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 10:38   #56
BHPian

Its scary, at least by reporting it over here you know such incidents do happen. It helps to be prepared when driving.
Next time you see a Mahindra Jeep with a Police sticker, be prepare to speed up and run.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 10:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Did the thugs speak in the Kannada or some other language?
They spoke in kannada.He said one of them had long hair like those filmi goondas.Two of them were well dressed.
Believe me,we tried all the reasonings mentioned in previous posts to get him to report the matter to police. I thought the least I could do is warn my fellow bhp-ians.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 18:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:

They spoke in kannada.He said one of them had long hair like those filmi goondas.Two of them were well dressed.
Believe me,we tried all the reasonings mentioned in previous posts to get him to report the matter to police. I thought the least I could do is warn my fellow bhp-ians.
I think you should ask him what would he do if they strike again. From what I've made of it, its not some lone pappu behind this but a gang. And gangs don't stop with just one break. They would continue till their luck runs out. It would be better if the cops are aware of this, if not lodge a complaint. Having armed "police men" running around is a recipe for disaster
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 09:29   #59
BHPian

Scary to know that thieves have taken their act to the next level. Obviously they learned they cannot do much with bikes as cars can over run (meaning out run) or run over (if the survival instinct and adrenalin takes over the car driver). A bigger vehicle can block the road leaving the driver with no choice. And a gun will scare the hell out of anyone and prevent them from taking daring measures.

Of course it should be reported to Police before it gets worse or some other poor soul pays for it. I'm sure noticing the number plate wouldn't have been of any use as they must have used a fake one.

An in-dash camera would have served a great deal as you have the advantage to take the incident to media who likes to run such incidents in news over and over, which can alert the general public and brings out some reaction from government.

Nevertheless, it's wise to think about the routes you take when traveling at odd times.

By the way, out of curiosity, will it make a difference if this thread is posted in Police's FB page? I don't intend to do it. Just wanted to know if it has any effect.
drivingme.crazy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote