Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th September 2009, 13:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Once the Police have registered the complaint they will match it with missing cars/numbers from neighbouring districts or even states and contact the owner.
But, it will take time. There are good chances that some dastardly act has been performed with this car or a simple case of car theft and abandon after use.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:10   #32
BHPian

Which area of chennai??

I had similar problems. We have a Innova and with the narrow street, the area opposite to our house had to be free for us to take out the Innova. A car was parked bang opposite to our gate and we had to take atleast 4 or 5 reverses to take the car in and out. There are lots of mechanics in our area and i asked few of them whom i knew if they parked it there and every once swore their innocence. What i did was, one night, I simply picked the lock (it was a indica) and pushed it to the center of the road and locked it again. And since there is a school in our street and all the vehicle pass thru our area the police came at 7 am and started towing the car away. Then one of the mechanics came running and said that it was a car that came for body work and since the rate was not finalized he had left it to park there.

Last edited by Archish : 15th September 2009 at 15:12.
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:33   #33
BHPian

Quickest way to get it taken by cops - Anonmous call that it is a bomb threat! Drawback is you would be severely penalised if the call is traced to you!

Btw, don't take this suggestion seriously. It is just made in jest. Hoax calls should not be made.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

With abandoned cars,come many hidden problems.Please be careful.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Found this link -> Transport.....

But since i don't understand Tamil. I am not able to figure out whether that website can help you in finding the owners details.

The main site -> State Transport Authority

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th September 2009 at 15:59.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Proxima, i don't mean to scare you, but I read in today's paper that the Govt plans to release the Coimbatore bomb blasts convicts on Anna's birthday.. and you coincidentally have a Coimby regd car abandoned opposite your house.. Just kidding man!

Update us after your visit to the cops. I can understand what you must be going through. I had an irritating time when the Indica was abandoned opposite my house. I was SO relieved when the cops took it away.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
What i did was, one night, I simply picked the lock (it was a indica) and pushed it to the center of the road and locked it again.
Proxima, get in touch with Archish and do the same. Innovative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Proxima, i don't mean to scare you, but I read in today's paper that the Govt plans to release the Coimbatore bomb blasts convicts on Anna's birthday.. and you coincidentally have a Coimby regd car abandoned opposite your house.. Just kidding man!
You are wicked Gilead.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Found this link -> Transport.....

But since i don't understand Tamil. I am not able to figure out whether that website can help you in finding the owners details.

The main site -> State Transport Authority
The website has a language option. Transport...
petrol_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 18:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Dude thats a Maruti 1000. Great closed ratio gearbox inside

Wait for some time maybe a month and more, get your mechanic to take it away, he'll be more than happy doing it, and you get a great gearbox

Who knows 2 lanes away a distressed owner might have parked it for lack of parking space, dont jump the gun so soon, 2 weeks is too short a period.
Don't touch the car. You don't know what sort of crime the car may be involved in. Give a written complaint to the Police or better a TV channel may be able to help. Since it appears to be infront of your house, the authorities may hold you responsible. Anything is possible now-a-days.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:00   #40
BHPian

sudharma - I have already filed a complaint at the police station.

I have sent a complaint using this form.
Mail Your Complaints

Hope there is a response.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 10:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Proxima: Its been more than 10 days since you updated this thread. Hope you were able to find a resolution to the problem.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Quickest way to get it taken by cops - Anonmous call that it is a bomb threat! Drawback is you would be severely penalised if the call is traced to you!
On a sober note, a genuine compliant saying the car looks 'suspicious' might do the trick as well.
MA5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

I was passing by that side about 2 weeks back, and sure enough saw the car (I had actually lost my way ). I didnt get around to go there again...

@Proxima- Updates?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:15   #44
BHPian

Default Gone! At last!

Sorry for not updating the thread guys, was very frustrated that all or efforts failed.

There was high drama the other day when I was out and only my mom was home. 4 smartly dressed guys in a Zen were going back and forth. They didnt speak Tamil but spoke Hindi and English very well. They then stopped and tried opening the car. My mother asked them what they were doing. They first said that the car's tyre was punctured. When my mom asked them which one they said that the car had a breakdown and they were mechanics. My mom asked them why it took them 2 months to come for the breakdown they said that they were friends of the owner.

My mom asked them to wait and went inside to get her mobile. In a few seconds, they were off. My mom then telephoned us, and a neighbour who knows the IG of Police. The IG was informed and by the time I was back home, the place was full of police. 2 Police Accents, 2 tow vehicles and about 8 policemen. In a few minutes, the car and the policemen were off.

Sad to know that it needs an IG's call to tow an abandoned car but happy that the place is finally clean again.

I was not there when the thieves came, but how I wish I was! What would you have done if you were there when they tried giving you these stories? Would love to hear them because I am not sure what I would or should have done.

@ph03n!x - I dint know that. Do you live nearby?

I didnt mention the area because the internet is open-to-all-including-people-like-the-4-smart-guys. I stay in Kottivakkam which is just after Thiruvanmiyur on the ECR.

Last edited by Proxima : 27th October 2009 at 11:19.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 16:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

I stay in Besant Nagar, and was driving parallel to the ECR (approximate geography) through the gullys behind the RTO to avoid peak hour traffic and share autos, when I lost my way- recognized the car from the photo you had posted
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote