Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd July 2011, 12:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Abandoned car - how do we get it removed?

Call the police, they will do the rest. We had similar problem (although not for months). We had a motorcycle parked in front for few days. After about a week we inquired if someone knew the owner of the motorcycle and why it was parked there. Upon finding none we lodged a complaint to the police they came, inspected, took our statements and took away the motorcycle. No harassment or any other problems. Not sure what happened later.

Please don't make any stories of bomb or otherwise, it might make the matter worse.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:45   #62
BHPian

IMO please have a word with your area RWA, if any, or with the neighbors.

1.Try and find out if there are tenenats (working bachelors). If there are, talk to them to find out if any of their flat mates has gone onsite.

2. If there are no leads on the whereabouts of the car, then discuss with your neighbors to find a solution.

Alternatively, you can put up a flyer on the car stating that you will inform the police if the car is not removed immediately. Wait for a week or so and then inform the police.

If you decide to inform the police state exactly for how long the car has been and please do not mince words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
All he has to do is call 911 and report an abandoned car...
Vina I am sure you meant 100
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:53   #63
BANNED

I had a similar problem, a bike with broken lock was laying in front of my clinic, i called cops and they took it away
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Abandoned car - how do we get it removed?

If calling the police or other agencies is a doubt, then the helplines or complaints on the Traffic Police website can also considered. This can be anonymous then.

Even better call the encroachment dept, the car will vanish even before you can think.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:37   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@kiloalpha - Does it belong to any of your neighbours, have you checked ?
If not, more than being an eyesore, this is a safety threat since it can be used to conceal something deadly.
I'm assuming this is in Bangalore. For abandoned vehicles you can call the Police control room on this number - 080 - 22943535
Provide them with all the details they ask for and it should be taken care of.
I'm guessing that since it's a vehicle from outside karnataka they would take quick action.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:52   #66
BHPian

KiloApha,
I would first place a notice on the windshield asking the owner to remove the vehicle.
Even after considerable amount of time if I dont see a reaction from anyone, I start looking for the best parts that I can scavenge for and store it for future use. By all means, if the owner is somewhere around there, he will surely shift the vehicle to a safe place as soon as he notices some parts missing from his car.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

You want the car to be removed because it is causing an eye sore? It is not causing any obstruction, why bother the car?

Everyone is busy advising how the car should be removed; what if the owner is a poor IT guy who's been sent on-site. He has no where to park and hence parked it on the road. If it is not causing any obstruction and is parked in a parking zone, what is the problem?

On the other hand, you may call the cops, get it checked for explosives and if it is clean, let it be. It sounds bad but looking at incidences in Mumbai and Delhi, you may just do this to be sure.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd July 2011 at 15:46.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

I am really surprised by the comments some of you guys have posted here. I sincerely hope you guys are not serious. They key here is to remove the car (if needed) in a LEGAL way and I dont think one should offer or take suggestions such as salvage parts, notify about it probably having or bomb or informing gujiri guys to take and similar such solutions.

Anyway, KiloAlpha, best thing to do is to notify the police. Call up 100 and ask them what needs to be done. They will be the best people to advice you. Tell them that someone has left the car unattended and it has been lying there for so long and is causing an inconvenience. I am not sure if informing the relevant authority in the RTO will help. Anyway, make a further check to ensure it does not belong to anyone in the vicinity. They may have parked it and gone out of the coutry or so for maybe 3-6 months. I have seen situations like this in my apartment in gurgaon with one or two cars gathering grime, dust and dirt for months, because the owners went abroad.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 22nd July 2011 at 15:44.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

have you tried this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-details.html (Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details)

last check says 2010.
you can check if its up....still.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
The best thing to do is - give a tip off to one of the "Gujuri" guys in Shivajinagar anonymously. The car will vanish in thin air in no time
Gujuri has been referred by many people in their posts. Can someone please educate me who are these guys

Calling the police is the best option. We have 3 cars and 2 bikes in our apartment complex rotting for the last 4 years now. But sadly society office bearers do not want to do anything about it. Its precious parking place going abegging.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your inputs guys. I plan to speak to all the neighbours this weekend to check if the car belongs to anyone. I am pretty sure it does not belong to anyone in 5 houses around my mom's place though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
have you tried this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-details.html (Karnataka RTO - sms RTO to get Vehicle details)

last check says 2010.
you can check if its up....still.
It is a Mumbai (MH02) registered Matiz. So Karnataka RTO won't be of much help, I guess!
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Thanks a lot for all your inputs guys. I plan to speak to all the neighbours this weekend to check if the car belongs to anyone. I am pretty sure it does not belong to anyone in 5 houses around my mom's place though.

It is a Mumbai (MH02) registered Matiz. So Karnataka RTO won't be of much help, I guess!
oh!
your location said "cubicle, so i went with the next post which said banaglore, and i assumed was localized, so...
Anyway
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
The best thing to do is - give a tip off to one of the "Gujuri" guys in Shivajinagar anonymously. The car will vanish in thin air in no time
Who are these "Gujuri guys"?? Are they some kind of junk yard people??
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

If you REALLY want it to be removed then absolutely NO need to talk to neighbours, just call 100 (PCR) and the Police will take care of everything else.

If you talk to your neighbours and if it really belongs to any one of their friends / relatives (I am sure this is the case), then they will ask you to have patience until they call him to remove his car from there. And this might take a day, a month or even a year for that guy to actually come and remove his car. If you are ready to wait then speak to neighbours otherwise simlpy call PCR.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:45   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X

Who are these "Gujuri guys"?? Are they some kind of junk yard people??
Yes exactly! Gujuri is the Kannada (may be a slang) term for junk !! These guys buy cars both legal and illegal (stolen) disassemble them and sell the parts at throwaway prices... You can get any car part for 1/4 the actual prices. Eg: you can get a set of 5 branded alloy wheels (slightly used) for around 6k.

Btw, I don't recommend anyone buying stuff from them.. As the part you buy could be from a stolen vehicle.
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote