Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd July 2011, 16:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Abandoned car - how do we get it removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
If you talk to your neighbours and if it really belongs to any one of their friends / relatives (I am sure this is the case)...
I don't think it will belong to anyone known to my neighbours - most of them have been living there for more than 20 years and houses are mostly owner occupied.

AND, the road is used very frequently as a parking spot for people going to a couple of *very* seedy bars/kebab joints nearby.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
KiloApha,
I would first place a notice on the windshield asking the owner to remove the vehicle.
Even after considerable amount of time if I dont see a reaction from anyone, I start looking for the best parts that I can scavenge for and store it for future use. By all means, if the owner is somewhere around there, he will surely shift the vehicle to a safe place as soon as he notices some parts missing from his car.
Dont try this dude, I posted it only on a lighter note.
@amitwlele - Gujiri = scrap market where you get second hand auto parts and place where vehicles are broken down. A place similar to Nanapet in Pune.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:09   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Everyone is busy advising how the car should be removed; what if the owner is a poor IT guy who's been sent on-site. He has no where to park and hence parked it on the road. If it is not causing any obstruction and is parked in a parking zone, what is the problem?
Agree, there could be someone who's gone on a long outing, and nobody in his/ her house can drive, and that car is stalled there for ever.

So first thing you could do is to check with your neighbors.

If nobody responds, then you have a case. Ring the police and let them know.
[The Jayanagar police guys are cool. I once got a lift from one of the inspectors from Forum mall to the Jayanagar police station ]

Option 2: If nobody responds, why not keep it? You could get a clean makeover done at a nominal cost and could drive away on the cutest car. - Kidding
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:34   #79
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You want the car to be removed because it is causing an eye sore? It is not causing any obstruction, why bother the car?

Everyone is busy advising how the car should be removed; what if the owner is a poor IT guy who's been sent on-site. He has no where to park and hence parked it on the road. If it is not causing any obstruction and is parked in a parking zone, what is the problem?

On the other hand, you may call the cops, get it checked for explosives and if it is clean, let it be. It sounds bad but looking at incidences in Mumbai and Delhi, you may just do this to be sure.
Why make the assumption that it belongs to someone who's out on a long journey, etc ? Confirm with residents on the street if one of them own it and then inform the cops if no one on that street owns it. Precisely why the cops ask us to inform them of abandoned vehicles (unattended more than 3 days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I am really surprised by the comments some of you guys have posted here. I sincerely hope you guys are not serious. They key here is to remove the car (if needed) in a LEGAL way and I dont think one should offer or take suggestions such as salvage parts, notify about it probably having or bomb or informing gujiri guys to take and similar such solutions.

Anyway, KiloAlpha, best thing to do is to notify the police. Call up 100 and ask them what needs to be done. They will be the best people to advice you. Tell them that someone has left the car unattended and it has been lying there for so long and is causing an inconvenience. I am not sure if informing the relevant authority in the RTO will help. Anyway, make a further check to ensure it does not belong to anyone in the vicinity. They may have parked it and gone out of the coutry or so for maybe 3-6 months. I have seen situations like this in my apartment in gurgaon with one or two cars gathering grime, dust and dirt for months, because the owners went abroad.
The number to call is in my earlier post. I too was in a similar situation last year with a car parked on our street for few days and after calling the control room they informed the local station to take necessary action. In fact the cop who attended the phone call mentioned these cars may have explosives which is why they ask to be informed (we don't have to tell them that we suspect it may have something and in this case it's been there for ~3 months so it seems safe). Also this car is not inside a private property/apartmet complex, it's on a public road so IMO the simplest, honest way to get this done is to call the control room and let them take necessary action.
I'm shocked at some other suggestions to salvage parts, don't bother etc

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2011 at 17:37.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:00   #80
Team-BHP Support

Similar thread :

Car abandoned outside my house, what should i do? (Car abandoned outside my house, what do I do?)
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:06   #81
Senior - BHPian

You can also check the details of the owner on this link, by using his vehicle registration number. If it may be of any help

BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System

EDIT: My bad. In response to Librans post. I forgot it was an MH registered car. But anyway, the above link is useful for others as well. Else mods, please delete this post

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 22nd July 2011 at 18:12.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:09   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Why make the assumption that it belongs to someone who's out on a long journey, etc ? Confirm with residents on the street if one of them own it and then inform the cops if no one on that street owns it. Precisely why the cops ask us to inform them of abandoned vehicles (unattended more than 3 days).
Why assume someone has "abondoned" the car?

I'm suggesting the same thing; call the cops to get it checked for explosives. If it is clean, let it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
You can also check the details of the owner on this link, by using his vehicle registration number. If it may be of any help

BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System
It is a MH-reg. car.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:28   #83
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why assume someone has "abondoned" the car?

I'm suggesting the same thing; call the cops to get it checked for explosives. If it is clean, let it be.
but I just took @kilopalpha's word that he knows no one attended to the car in 3 months and it's in the same place all along.
Let the cops decide to do whatever checks, etc and take action as per the law. By informing them you would've done your duty as a concerned law-abiding citizen.

MODS - should this thread be in Street Experiences ? And maybe this can be merged with the older thread that @Rehaan mentioned ?

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2011 at 18:37.
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

In fact the cop who attended the phone call mentioned these cars may have explosives which is why they ask to be informed (we don't have to tell them that we suspect it may have something and in this case it's been there for ~3 months so it seems safe). Also this car is not inside a private property/apartmet complex, it's on a public road so IMO the simplest, honest way to get this done is to call the control room and let them take necessary action.
I'm shocked at some other suggestions to salvage parts, don't bother etc

that's what I wrote in one of the posts above, and people starte imagining police harassment.

I mean imaging there actually is explosive in the car and you don't report it - what kind of treatment you're going to get once the police (eventually) finds out.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car abandoned outside my house, what do I do?

Remember this post asking you all for advice? (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2439665 (Car abandoned outside my house, what do I do?))

A big thank you to everyone who gave me advice.
The car has been removed by the police. This is how it all happened.

I spoke to all my neighbours. None of them owned that car, none of them knew of anyone who owned that car. We all concluded that it was *genuinely* abandoned. So we all penned a letter to the police, and three people (not including me, because I don't actually live there) went to the police station to complain. It was all a breeze - I guess because most of the people are/were in really high positions in government/PSU and have contacts. So a few phone calls were made beforehand to the Inspector in Jayanagar police station.

Couple of days later, Hoysala (police patrol jeep) comes along during the day and speaks to a couple of people. 3 days later, same patrol comes at night, and again early morning.

Yesterday, the police towed the car away.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:15   #86
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Remember this post asking you all for advice? (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2439665 (Car abandoned outside my house, what do I do?))

A big thank you to everyone who gave me advice.
The car has been removed by the police. This is how it all happened.

I spoke to all my neighbours. None of them owned that car, none of them knew of anyone who owned that car. We all concluded that it was *genuinely* abandoned. So we all penned a letter to the police, and three people (not including me, because I don't actually live there) went to the police station to complain. It was all a breeze - I guess because most of the people are/were in really high positions in government/PSU and have contacts. So a few phone calls were made beforehand to the Inspector in Jayanagar police station.

Couple of days later, Hoysala (police patrol jeep) comes along during the day and speaks to a couple of people. 3 days later, same patrol comes at night, and again early morning.

Yesterday, the police towed the car away.
Glad to know you did the right thing and it worked. All is well that ends well
Old 28th July 2011, 19:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Just to offer a story from the other side of the fence. I had once parked my car about 200-300 metres away from my house because there was absolutely no parking space. And my garage was being used by the society, along with a few other garages next to mine, for some stupid function.

Next morning, I was out and had gone by cab because of fear of traffic. Turns out, someone from the vicinity where the car was parked called up the cops. No official complaint or anything. The cops came with 2 Qualis' and one towing van, ready to take the car away without asking anyone. One lone hawaldar out of that group of idiots had the mind to go through my glove box and find some sort of identification.

Got a call while being 20 minutes away from my house that my car had been reported to the police and I had to reach the police station to fix the issue. I told them to wait there while I ran back.

On reaching, I found out that one of the occupants of a bunglow nearby had reported my car to the cops because it was parked for a single night. They ended up breaking my drivers' side door lock in trying to open it and my cabin was a mess (whole glove box had been emptied.).

Fought with the cops, went to the police station and asked for compensation for the broken door lock. Didn't get any compensation but the Police Inspector ended up apologising to me.

Next time you report someone's car to the cops, atleast check in the vicinity instead of becoming trigger happy and making hoax calls about bombs and/or calling up shady mechanics to steal parts off the car.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:55   #88
BHPian

I have been seeing a Zen AT parked at the end of my street for the last 8 months now. It has an MH registration and could possibly be a stolen vehicle. The interiors are in good shape including the music system! Seems scavengers somehow don't like Zen components. Probably no demand for these anymore!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 20:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Just to offer a story from the other side of the fence. I had once parked my car about 200-300 metres away from my house because there was absolutely no parking space. And my garage was being used by the society, along with a few other garages next to mine, for some stupid function.

Next morning, I was out and had gone by cab because of fear of traffic. Turns out, someone from the vicinity where the car was parked called up the cops. No official complaint or anything. The cops came with 2 Qualis' and one towing van, ready to take the car away without asking anyone. One lone hawaldar out of that group of idiots had the mind to go through my glove box and find some sort of identification.

Got a call while being 20 minutes away from my house that my car had been reported to the police and I had to reach the police station to fix the issue. I told them to wait there while I ran back.

On reaching, I found out that one of the occupants of a bunglow nearby had reported my car to the cops because it was parked for a single night. They ended up breaking my drivers' side door lock in trying to open it and my cabin was a mess (whole glove box had been emptied.).

Fought with the cops, went to the police station and asked for compensation for the broken door lock. Didn't get any compensation but the Police Inspector ended up apologising to me.

Next time you report someone's car to the cops, atleast check in the vicinity instead of becoming trigger happy and making hoax calls about bombs and/or calling up shady mechanics to steal parts off the car.
I sympathise entirely. "Strange" car being parked for just a night should not be a reason to call the cops. Which is why we waited a 3 months, asked around, and then called the cops when we were sure it did not belong to anyone in the vicinity.

Motor Vehicles act authorises cops to tow away a car they think is "abandoned" after it has been stationary for 10 hours in a public place.

I remember the owner of my flat advising me to put a A4 paper with my mobile number and a note that I live in so-and-so apartment on the dashboard when I went out of town for extended periods of time. Never had any problems with that arrangement.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I sympathise entirely. "Strange" car being parked for just a night should not be a reason to call the cops.
Why not? When we are expected to report un-attended bags, why not cars? For all you know, the home owner might have asked his neighbours if they knew about the car and then reported to the police. I am glad that the police for once did their job and responded to a call.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote