Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd September 2009, 12:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Scarry indeed... i had a similar experience the lorry was in the middle lane and i was at the right, while i started to overtake this guy moves to the right...luckily he was moving slowly...

So from there on i make use of the horns well on the hiway and yes i have a loud horn.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

if the trucker is at 50, and you are doing a 110, you dont have to drop your speed to 60 when uou get right behind him. you can drop down to 80-100 while you're well behind him, use the time you've gained to watch how the truck is behaving on the road while you ease off a little on the throttle,once convinced, floor it and get past.
+1 to the above comment. This is exactly what I do when I overtake lorries in the Highway. I also give a medium burst of my Air horn to indicate to the driver of my presence in addition to the flashing lights. I am jittery to overtake in the left, but if the situation demands, I will calculate the safest path and see if I will have enough time and space to break and come out of the overtaking maneuver. If i dont have that safety margin i wont mind tailgating the lorry till i get enough space. Afterall i should be alive to drive my car again right, so I dont mind waiting for few more minutes to pass them.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:59   #18
BHPian

Well, a lot of good and some suspect stuff has been said about overtaking on this thread.
My $ 0.2.

Try to avoid going to the leftmost lane by default to overtake. I personally think its very unsafe and you never what what lurks there - boulders, parked cars/bikes etc.
I usually honk and flash lights (not obnoxiously). Usually, the truck in front of me moves over pretty quick.

When you want to overtake, pass the overtakee fast. Always keep a plan B and always be prepared to bail out of the overtake completely.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Lesson learnt- Slowing down before overtaking is very very important.Oh, Did I got spoiled by watching those speeding cars disappear in no time?
I always slow down before overtaking any heavy vehicles. Even on blind corners I always slow down considerably before overtaking. Theres always a possibility that a lorry/cars/private buse/any automobile might come on the wrong direction (Always possible on our Indian roads isn't it). I have seen lorries/buses/tempos etc on the wrong direction when I am about to overtake hence I always slow down before overtaking. Being bit of extra cautious does not cost any money isn't it.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
They've evolved a technique that automatically wakes them momentarily every few seconds.
One of my Friends in Chennai mentioned this is done by the TN State Govt Buses and he also said one of the drivers themselves mentioned it
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
It's the most safest practice to overtake with a speed just a bit more than the vehicle you are going to overtake.
How can it be a safe practice when you are spending more time in overtaking? Most of the Indian highways is still 2 laned, and the more time you spend in the wrong lane the more chances that you will meet the opposite traffic head on. Even on multi laned highways, you cannot quickly move out of the way if there is pot hole or debris or if somebody steps onto the road when there is another vehicle on your side.

Like rippergeo has mentioned, an overtaking maneuver should be fast, clinical and well planned.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:31   #22
BHPian

@Surprise,

I too use this road very often as it is closer to my home and saves lot of time when I travel to Tambaram.

Some things I have observed in this road.

1. The left most lane, at a few places is smaller than the Right and Middle and mostly contain pebbles. These fly from the nearby quarries. Avoid the left most lane and hard braking on this lane is inviting trouble.

2. Honk at the truckers briefly before and during overtakes. I always do and at least make them aware of my presence.

3. There is a HP petrol bunk just a few kilometers before the road ends. There is a gap in the steel rails on both sides and pedestrians, cycles and bikes often run across. When you see the HP petrol pump sign, slow down.

4. There are many parked trucks on sides near the quarries. At Dark, stick to 60-70 kph.

This picture is almost 2 years old but the road is still like this.
Attached Images

para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:49   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vow! That's a scary incident.
The NP drivers are usually decent in their lane maintaining yet, it's better to shout out one's presence before overtaking them.

@para_7k
If that picture isn't worthy of a pulsar commercial, then I'm not too sure if anything can be at all.
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Have been taking a 20km stretch bypass road frequently, which was a 6 lane divided road with 3 marked lane for each direction.
==========
I guess I would have been in much more better position with bit slower speeds/enough indication to make him realize about my presence before I overtook him (that takes only 2-3 seconds)
Two points:
1- Indicate your intention to overtake, flash honk etc. Now comes the most important part, wait for few seconds and ensure if the other party is making a lane change. Then and only then should you decide on overtaking, left or right. No response means very very careful in my books.

2- Never cut lane into LT lane at the last moment at night, simple reason being vision. Always do a check of the LT lane from a distance with highest blinding beam possible and ensure the lane is absolutely open before you make the move. Vehicles with no tail lamps parked/moving on that lane, 2 wheelers pedestrians occupying etc are real possibility and a recipe for disaster.

Hope it helps, until we all can stop forcing ourselves to overtake from the wrong side.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:14   #25
BHPian

Move down a gear when you are overtaking. This helps in two ways. One, you can accelerate faster and two, you can slow down faster in case you need to abort.

I would like to add another point on slow overtaking. If you are overtaking at say 70 kmph, your speed after overtaking would still be 70. However if you slow down to say 60 kmph and then overtake, you would probably need to accelerate to 80 kmph in order to overtake the vehicle within the same time. So at the end of the overtaking maneuver you are more at risk because of the higher speed.

I see this often on our 2 laned highways. Somebody comes up behind you, then suddenly darts to the right and overtakes at full throttle, and then has to brake sharply immediately afterwards.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
<Pulsar Pic>
. That is one awesome pic of the Pulsar. Excellently done. As Mentioned earlier, it would be a nice pic for a Pulsar AD
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
OT: I have heard that NP truck drivers used to place large stones on steering wheel and accelerator pedal and then go on to sleep. I'm not sure to what extent this is true, but I won't be surprised if someone has really experienced this.
While driving up the ghats on full load some of these trucks do an average speed of 20kmph. They place a brick on the accelerator. I have seen them doing this. Maybe this was how auto pilot was conceptualized.

Never seen the same techniques for the steering though.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

correct - ive also seen this as a common enough practice by truck drivers in the hills in the 1980's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
While driving up the ghats on full load some of these trucks do an average speed of 20kmph. They place a brick on the accelerator. I have seen them doing this. Maybe this was how auto pilot was conceptualized.

Never seen the same techniques for the steering though.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why the ghats, I have seen the express bus drivers of the former Periyar Transport buses do this on the NH 45! They will place a flat stone on the accelerator pedal and sit cross legged in their seat, but will not sleep!

I have also heard of some loco pilots do this on the trains. There seems to be a dead man's pedal on the locos which the pilot has to press at periodic intervals else the engine will automatically stop. A safety feature, in case he falls asleep or suffers a heart attack. Seems some of these guys will place a weight on this to keep it engaged.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:48   #30
BHPian

@bharti and @KRRaj,

Thanks . I placed it only as a proof of my Point No 1.

@Surprise, Sorry for
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote