Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th September 2009, 16:29   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have some ideas, and it is the most practical one that I have had so far.

The government should take some prime-time advertising slots in everybody's favourite serial and film channels for hard-hitting road safety messages. They must be hard-hitting, but they would also have to be psychologically clever, so that the message gets across. Furthermore, this would have to be a long-term commitment, as results might not even begin to show until today's youngsters become tomorrow's drivers.

Further, the media must be involved. A newspaper picture I remember vividly from a few weeks ago, showed two smiling girls on a scooter as a picture of carefree existence. Guess how many helmets...

Films... films are censored for sex, for upsetting religious sentiments... why not for stupid driving examples?

It is the national psyche that needs to change. These are the ways into national psyche. marketing companies know that very well.

Until it is no longer considered normal to load an omni until all airspace is used up, or to use a bike as family or goods carrier, nothing will change.

By the way... "two wheels, no brain"... that was me. I wish it could have been something more positive I contributed to the Team-BHP consciousness. Yet, often, when a biker gets in my way, I try to reflect that this is an ordinar, decent driver, proceeding at a safe speed, and taking up a traffic lane as he is entitled to do. Regrettably, there are more than enough lunatics to justify my generalisation
I second this idea as well.
I had suggest something like this, sort of a National Campaign for awareness, in a similar thread sometime ago.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1451160-post9.html
Sli_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 16:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Yes Sir... "Two Wheels No Brains" Has stuck in my mind so deep and I have been even telling all the two wheelers in my office and around here this phrase and they just blush in agreement.
I am really sorry but I do take offense to this very generalised statement. I ride ONLY a bike since I love riding one - there is an equal number of bad drivers as there are bikers on the road. I have on innumerable ocassions, been ridden off the road, had cars swerve suddenly with no warning into my lane and more. "Two Wheels No Brains" is just not true. I always follow all traffic rules.

Sweeping statements are easy to make but it is our responsibility as careful drivers/riders to maintain and follow all traffic rules on the road. Not all bikers are brainless and traffic-senseless. And neither are all 4-wheel drivers good drivers!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 16:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Yes Sir... "Two Wheels No Brains" Has stuck in my mind so deep and I have been even telling all the two wheelers in my office and around here this phrase and they just blush in agreement.
Blush in agreement !!! Very strange office indeed.

Four wheels full of brains ??? That would be even more strange.

Lets not generalise sir.

Bad drivers are bad anyway. Be it on a 2 wheel or 4 wheel.
anoopap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Alright.. Bricks started flying from all around. I take back with apologies for the "generalized" statement. (If you could come with me to Chennai on a weekday and I will show you around for 20 minutes ride at peak hour, and you will swear all Gods by the time we get back and you will believe that 95% of them fall into that category.
Again, apologies for that general statement.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 17:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL. Car drivers say "Two Wheels No Brains", 2 wheelers say "Steering Wheel No Brain", while the truth is "Any Wheel No Brain"
EDIT: Ofcourse, applicable to 95% population only.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 18:36   #51
BHPian

It's not the Government enforcing laws. Every Citizen should follow certain rules irrespective of regulations. Whether it is a two wheeler or a Four wheeler.

I remember, an incidense about 20 years back - I had a Yamaha RX and my friend brought a Luna and told me to ride it. After about 4-5 kms. he pointed out to me to my different kind of driving. In Yamaha, I was always on the fast lane and in the centre of the road (At that time there were no dividers) and in Luna I was driving to the extreme left side of the Road.

So, you've to drive a Maruthi Van as a Maruthi Van and Swift as a Swift. You cannot do vice versa and blame the Vehicle for the unfortunate accident.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 18:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Alright.. Bricks started flying from all around. I take back with apologies for the "generalized" statement. (If you could come with me to Chennai on a weekday and I will show you around for 20 minutes ride at peak hour, and you will swear all Gods by the time we get back and you will believe that 95% of them fall into that category.
Again, apologies for that general statement.
I agree with Raja, it is a whole lot different in Chennai with the two-wheelers and the share autos...
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 20:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Not what I'd call a quantum leap, but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.
Dear Brother its the dammn RECCESSION after this phase is over I may go for something superior but stick to MARUTI only
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 00:46   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep, a boulder falling off a truck can go through any car window.

---If that car is close enough.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 01:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Second that idea - 100%. Media Must be involved. I have seen many media propaganda in Saudi TV.s encouraging and educating traffic rules and traffic sense / manners. Preferably with Cricketers or Katrinas and Rakhis 'preaching' traffic sense and rules. Thats the lingo our ordinary people understand.!

1. Strange people blush in agreement( or should I say queer)
2. Two wheels No Brains is a terribly bad generalisation and I could not disagree with it more (without blushing)
3. As long as the present set of rules are not reinforced by our police no amount of Katrina's and Rakhi's will be able to accomplish anything.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote