Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th November 2009, 16:18   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Got a chance to use it today. It cuts down a lot of time. The ride is bumpy because of the uneven joints between spans. Also, its sort of ill designed. As in, seems like its been made with no regard to the roads and buildings below. It divides the road and signals very unevenly and also licks a building at the Rethi Bowli junction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I also wonder how people in an apartment complex can tolerate the disturbance from traffic on it---the flyover is hardly 3 to 4 feet away from the corner of one complex.
Yes, the design of the fly-over will not win any awards. It is as if no thought was given about how the different segments were to be joined. The one at Rethi-bowli Jn is an extreme example. They simply laid the pillars in the middle of the two roads and later seemed to realize that it would form a perfect T-junction (90 deg turn). Then they hurriedly tore a couple of pillars down and erected new ones near the corner building to have a smoother curve. The people in the apt can literally reach-out and touch the wall of the fly-over. Apparently they will put-up noise barriers, but it is any ones guess when that will be done - and even if it is done, the way our contractors do the job, it will probably end up increasing the noise & vibration instead of decreasing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I sincerely hope it remains access controlled strictly. But I'm sure its only a matter of a few weeks or months before even this road goes to the "dogs".

The ORR (Outer Ring Road) when launched was supposed to be devoid of 2/3 wheelers and goods vehicles. Now in addition to 2 and 3 wheelers and goods vehicles, we can even find bullock carts and tractors on ORR and moronic people driving in the wrong direction as ingrained in the Hyderabad driving culture.
Hoping for traffic discipline in Hyderabad is like expecting a miracle. None of the stake-holders have any interest in enforcing traffic rules.

The traffic police seem least bothered - a traffic posting has become a "punishment" posting in the police dept and the officers only think about how to get back to a 'regular' posting. The SI & below show up on the roads in the last week of the month for their "pocket money".

The people themselves don't care. The software engineers and students who crib the most about the traffic are also the most prolific offenders with their two-wheelers. They want everyone else to follow the rules, except themselves.

No need to say anything about the Auto-wallahs, RTC & Setwin Drivers and the Indicabs. Together they have succeeded in creating a hell on earth.

And politicians have no will or intent to do anything about it. All the proposals about fly-overs, sub-ways, metro-rails etc etc are all mired in corruption with people openly squabbling for contracts and kick-backs. Everyone from the municipal corporator to the chief minister want their share of the pie.

I shudder to think how the city will be in 10-years time
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 11:39   #32
BHPian

I would rate this expressway as one of the bumpiest I have ever been on. Coming to think of it I would not call it an expressway but a long flyover.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 17:22   #33
BHPian

It is good to see this expressway is open to public and reduces travel time to Airport. But what I observed emergency exits were missing, in case car was broken down or in emergencies there were no EXITS. When driving on flyover every body expect smooth ride, they have to smoothen uneven span joints and wherever surface was not smooth. Specially in speeds it is prone to injuries or accidents. Lot of flyovers built in Hyd were not properly planned and were not safe, traffic awareness is urgently needed.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 00:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
It is good to see this expressway is open to public and reduces travel time to Airport. But what I observed emergency exits were missing, in case car was broken down or in emergencies there were no EXITS. When driving on flyover every body expect smooth ride, they have to smoothen uneven span joints and wherever surface was not smooth. Specially in speeds it is prone to injuries or accidents. Lot of flyovers built in Hyd were not properly planned and were not safe, traffic awareness is urgently needed.
Exit ramps are under construction---you'd have noticed 4 or 5 places where the flover becomes narrow--those are the spots. They might take a few months though to be completed.

I've travelled once more to and from the airport recently---my onward journey at 7 pm took 50 minutes and the return at 11 pm took 35 minutes. Therefore the saving in terms of time was around 10 minutes in either direction.
How I wish there was a flyover from Punjagutta to the PVN Rao flyover!!!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 07:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
How I wish there was a flyover from Punjagutta to the PVN Rao flyover!!!

This is too good!
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Concern for Future : Enroute from airport to the city at 19:40 yesterday, I saw 4 policeman at the start of the flyover at Aramghar whose job was to ban the 2/3-wheelers trying to access the flyover. Just 2 km onto the flyover, I overtook a motorcycle with a KL registration. So it may not be a very smooth sailing after a month or so because the policmen at the entrances would have been withdrawn by then or if continued to be posted, they would have become more lax.
Technically this is very much possible. Mumbai-Pune expressway enforces this rule quite strictly. Without this, the expressway would just not be an expressway.

Waiting to drive on this road when I next visit Hyderabad.
ptushar is offline   Reply With Quote