Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th October 2009, 18:34   #1
BHPian

Default Longest Flyover in Hyderabad

Hyderabad, on monday, will enter the book of records as the city to have the longest flyover in the country.

The 11.6 km long P V Narasimha Rao Elevated Expressway will be thrown open to vehicular traffic on monday, 19-Oct-2009.

It costed HMDA (Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority) some Rs. 450 crores and 3 years to build.

The flyover will provide faster connectivity between the city and Shamshabad Airport by providing uninterrupted travel from Masab Tank in the city to Aramghar Junction on NH 9 (Hyderabad-Bangalore Highway).

The electricty department has been requested to ensure uninterrupted power supply for streetlights on the flyover since the vehicular traffic will be moving at a faster speed on the flyover.

2-Wheelers and 3-Wheelers will not be allowed on the flyover.

- - - - - - -

So far so good.

I sincerely hope the authorities do not allow any type of goods vehicles or TATA ACE else the purpose of having such a expressway will be defeated.
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 18:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't the previous longest flyover in Bangalore?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 18:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Yeah, i think the Hebbal one.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 18:54   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The Mysore road flyover was the longest in India ONCE UPON A TIME, not anymore,
But I still feel the Hyderabad flyover is not the longest,
I feel the Kanpur flyover, part of the GQ road connecting Delhi-Kolkatta(NH2) is the longest in India,
Can anybody from Kanpur pls confirm the length ?
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 20:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Agree with GSMIC. Kanpur Flyover on NH2 is 25 kms long!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 20:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Agree with GSMIC. Kanpur Flyover on NH2 is 25 kms long!
I remember during my GQ drive, we had stayed overnight below the flyover (Hotel Kanishka, Civil Lines, Kanpur), we started on the flyover in the morning & boy oh boy, the flyover seems to go on & on & on.
Hence felt that this ought to be the longest flyover in India
Old 16th October 2009, 20:56   #7
BHPian

Longest or not, record or no record, it is built to help people reach the new international airport faster and hope it does serve the purpose after spending three years and lot of money.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 21:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Longest or not, record or no record, it is built to help people reach the new international airport faster and hope it does serve the purpose after spending three years and lot of money.
Yes,
Cant beat that logic, This flyover is boon for the city, one can zoom from the airport right into the heart of the city, no signals, no holdups, & hopefully no traffic jams
Old 16th October 2009, 21:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
nce the vehicular traffic will be moving at a faster speed on the flyover.

2-Wheelers and 3-Wheelers will not be allowed on the flyover.

- - - - - - -

So far so good.

I sincerely hope the authorities do not allow any type of goods vehicles or TATA ACE else the purpose of having such a expressway will be defeated.
Something that need to be implemented on a lot of roads as well!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 15:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

The wait is finally over!

Name:  getimage.jpeg
Views: 6974
Size:  18.7 KB

I hope they follow this rule strictly.
Name:  getimage1.jpeg
Views: 6568
Size:  42.2 KB

These days, there are lot of 2 wheelers on ORR even though they are prohibited.

News Item from TOI:

The country’s longest flyover P V Narasimha Rao Expressway will open for traffic, barring two and three-wheelers, from Monday. Chief minister K Rosaiah will inaugurate the flyover at 4.30 pm.

The Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA) took up the project for providing faster connectivity to the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA), Shamshabad.

The four-lane 11.633 kms expressway starts at Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital and ends at Aramgarh junction on NH 7. An underpass at Aramgarh and a trumpet interchange access road to the RGIA has already been opened for traffic.

The late CM Y S Rajasekhara Reddy laid the foundation stone for the flyover on March 16, 2006. According to schedule, the project should have been completed within 26 months, but due to various reasons, it got completed in September 2009. Nearly, Rs 600 crores was spent on the flyover.

However, the HMDA is yet to put up noise barriers. “Emergency ‘U’-turns have been put in place at pillar numbers 70, 140 and 210 to avoid traffic jams,” HMDA executive engineer-1 B Anand Mohan told TOI. Traffic restrictions have been imposed in Mehdipatnam from 4 pm to 6 pm on Monday.

Last edited by pulsar56 : 19th October 2009 at 15:38.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 16:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Hyderabad! This flyover is bang opposite to my house on Attapur ring road. My only worry is traffic sence which hyderabad lacks. Hope they follow rules! The flyover looks beautiful. The construction phase had been an ordeal. The roads had become bad last year during rains. Though i was away for most of the time during construction phase iam told roads were bad then. Hope things would be alright now
I miss hyderabad so so much!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 16:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

GSMINC, HVK saab - what yaars?! The Elevated section is about 25km - however, it does come down to ground level/on solid concrete. It is not completely elevated all the way. PVNR expressway is..!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 16:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

PVNR Expressway in Hyderabad is the only "completely elevated" longest expressway/flyover in the country at 11.6 kms.

I can't wait to use this flyover. But, will wait for atleast a week before i venture on it as from past experiences of foundations collapsinget.all just dont want to take the risk
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know it is getting inaugrated any time now. However, from my own experience of driving to RGIA, Shamshabad, the most crowded part of the 35 km drive from Raj Bhavan Road is the 6 kms before the flyover starting point.

This being the case, at most it will cut down travel time by 15 minutes, and not 30 to 40 minute as claimed.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 17:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Glad to know it is getting inaugrated any time now. However, from my own experience of driving to RGIA, Shamshabad, the most crowded part of the 35 km drive from Raj Bhavan Road is the 6 kms before the flyover starting point.

This being the case, at most it will cut down travel time by 15 minutes, and not 30 to 40 minute as claimed.
Venu, route after taking left from Foodworld till Aaramgarh that we traverse completely under the flyover is quite messy with people crossing the roads, flyover work going on, with unexpected twists and turns which will significantly slow you down.

I still think it will save 30 minutes minimum as you travel at a constant speed with no breakages for traffic etc.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote