Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 15:27   #286
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Since it may not be just tinkering and there will be other internal parts (ex: power window mechanism,central locking) which may need replacement/repair, it may be a good idea to go to MASS. They would mostly recommend replacement and not tinkering.
Is that the rust we can see on the damaged sheet metal?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st July 2013 at 07:36. Reason: fixed spelling
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:36   #287
BHPian
 
swami.n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TN-10
Posts: 252
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Advice Needed:
1. Should i get the car repaired and painted from MASS. Which MASS in Chennai is best?

2. Should i get it tinkered and painted from non-Maruti but reputed service center.

3. Since i did not file a FIR, will I face issue claiming insurance?
Glad to hear that you are all safe. One of the rare instances where the opposite driver accepts the mistake rather than run away.

My suggestion would be to take it to the ABT Maruti at Guindy and get an estimate with insurance and net payable. And then take it to another reputed body shop and check the net payable. (Do PM me if you may need any help on locating non Maruti body shops)

If the non-Maruti person gives a considerably lower quote, i would advice you to even avoid utilizing the insurance, since you have mentioned the idea of replacing the car next year.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:47   #288
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 698
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Advice Needed:
1. Should i get the car repaired and painted from MASS. Which MASS in Chennai is best?

2. Should i get it tinkered and painted from non-Maruti but reputed service center.

3. Since i did not file a FIR, will I face issue claiming insurance?
Sorry to see your ride scrapped pretty bad. Your family is safe and your car is in a running state, thats a good thing.

1. MASS will usually go with replacement and painting. In your case the cost will be high.

2. Scan the forum for reputed paint shops. Insurance covers it too.

3. Now a days most insurance claims do not need FIR unless there is third party claim or injury/hospitalization to anyone. You should be fine.

Mostly it looks like metal damages so you should be pretty much covered on labour. It is only the replacement parts that cost more. I feel tinker work will cover more in insurance for you as replacement parts are less.

The main cost for you will be the painting work. I'd suggest to get a quote, dont' tell them you will go for insurance. The rates will be very different when you say insurance and no insurance.

Call your insurance person to get a valuation done for damage. Best to get this done at the earliest. Write down the story for them.

Hope for the best.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 16:00   #289
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Since i did not file a FIR, will I face issue claiming insurance?
Thank god no one was heart. Looks mainly the panels are damaged. So should be a tricky job as such. Just check the B pillar checked for any damage. You can go to any reputed body shop. MASS will also do but the expenses would be on higher side but since this is covered through insurance, I think you should give first preference to MASS.
There is no need for FIR. But it's always good idea to get a General Diary entry from the local police station in case something is needed in future. In case you have not got it this time, it's not really needed. Some insurance inspector may ask for it but it all depends on the workshop who will handle your job. Good luck.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 16:01   #290
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MH14-KA01-TN19
Posts: 71
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

I was quoted ~10000 for a scrape incident on my car's rear fender involving work like rebuffing & repainting & replacement of taillamp. I also was losing on the insurance No Claim Bonus if I go for a claim. Further enquiry at a local painter (shabby w-shop but has very good reputation , the job was quoted at mere 2000, spares extra). I'd say you 'll have to work out the financials with the quotations that you could get & find out the best fit. Also please don't worry of the paint mismatch after job as these are mostly well take care of. But please do inquire properly before finalizing. & lastly thank God that all are safe.
anoop.nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 17:36   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
As far as my experience goes, dedicated paint shops do a better work than A.S.S, in cases like these. So, I would suggest you go for Option 2.
IIRC, you will get 100% of labour refunded and 50% of metal and plastic parts. So, I would suggest you not to replace the doors, but get it tinkered. A proper shop can do a perfect job.
Thanks. I am also keen on tinkering than door replacing, since only 50% would be covered by insurance on the metal parts. But also worried about the finish after tinkering and painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Looks like a very minor accident
Very minor accident? This is the biggest one for me at least.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I would suggest to stick with the MASS, although the FNG would do a good job too but since you are claiming insurance it is always better to go the manufacturer workshop
I will take quotes from MASS and FNG as well. Although i will claim insurance, if MASS asks to replace the doors (which they will), then i will have to pay 50% of the price of the door, which will be quite high.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Since it may not be just tinkering and there will be other internal parts (ex: power window mechanism,central locking) which may need replacement/repair, it may be a good idea to go to MASS. They would mostly recommend replacement and not tinkering.
Is that the rust we can see on the damaged sheet metal?
Not rust. It happened yesterday around 3PM. That is the color from the dumper. But with the rainy days in Chennai this will start rusting in a day or two. Luckily, the power windows (only an inch up and down for the front and full for the rear), central locking are working. Although the locking mechanism, the place where we insert the key and open the car is completely damaged. I suspect MASS will have to change the entire key set.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Call your insurance person to get a valuation done for damage. Best to get this done at the earliest. Write down the story for them.
My insurance is from HDFC ERGO. Can i call them independently and ask them for a valuation? Would that affect later, when i go through a MASS?


Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Just check the B pillar checked for any damage.
I cannot open the driver side door. The metal is mangled in such a way that the door cannot be opened. Will check for B pillar damage when i go to a SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
If the non-Maruti person gives a considerably lower quote, i would advice you to even avoid utilizing the insurance, since you have mentioned the idea of replacing the car next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
I'd say you 'll have to work out the financials with the quotations that you could get & find out the best fit.
My car IDV is 179,023 and total insurance is INR 3820 and a discount of INR 1815. So i will lose around INR 1800 next year. I have my other car which also has 50% NCB, i will utilize that when i purchase a new car next year.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st July 2013 at 07:37.
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 17:54   #292
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 1,191 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

FIR shouldn't be required, since there was no personal injury (something I came to know many years ago when my M800 was rear-ended). Also the damage seems to be repairable and the doors and the rear panel can be repaired and repainted at some good denting-painting shop.

Even if you don't go to the Maruti A.S.S. you can still claim insurance. There are many private setups which too have tie-ups with the insurance companies.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 18:35   #293
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 698
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post

My insurance is from HDFC ERGO. Can i call them independently and ask them for a valuation? Would that affect later, when i go through a MASS?
Check the claim instructions for your policy. You must contact 24x7 support at the earliest. They will assign an advisor. You can talk to them for further consultation. They will be open to go MASS or tinker way. Also check if the tinker shop is available for cashless claim processing. Otherwise you will have to bear the initial cost of repairs and get reimbursed later. For cash less you have to pay the difference.

Last edited by HillMan : 29th July 2013 at 18:37.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 19:42   #294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Check the claim instructions for your policy. You must contact 24x7 support at the earliest. They will assign an advisor. You can talk to them for further consultation. They will be open to go MASS or tinker way. Also check if the tinker shop is available for cashless claim processing. Otherwise you will have to bear the initial cost of repairs and get reimbursed later. For cash less you have to pay the difference.
Thanks. I will contact HDFC tomorrow and inform them.
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 12:53   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Went out in the morning to take estimates for the damages done. I visited 3 places.

1. NSK Maruti on ECR - Very small set-up but has a paint booth. They said doors cannot be tinkered and need to be replaced. The panel above the rear wheel will be tinkered. All labor and painting will be done at an estimate of INR 31,400 + Taxes. They will take 5-6 days. They don't have tie-up with HDFC and that means i have to pay them the entire amount first and then on the pity of the insurance company to reimburse me.

2. Ignite on ECR - Met with Raghav. He also commented that door cannot be tinkered as it is beyond repair. He doesn't have tie up with any insurance. He will provide me with the estimate by afternoon. Time taken 5 days.

3. ABT Maruti ECR - Met the Body Repairs In Charge. Again same story that doors need to be replaced. They have a paint booth as well. Estimates INR 30,6xx inclusive of taxes. Unfortunately, they dont have cash less facility with HDFC (only ABT Guindy has). They said they can give the car in 3 days.

I am more keen to get a cashless type insurance so that i do not have to shell out the entire amount now. Also, after i pay, running after insurance companies will be a pain.

I am more keen on going with ABT, since they have a bigger name and bigger station than NSK. I can also visit myTVS, ABT Guindy, BOSCH but they will be far away from my place and also i doubt they will agree to doing a tinkering + painting job.

Right now totally confused! Please advice.

P.S. I have to bear approx. 40-45% of the repairing charges.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 30th July 2013 at 12:55. Reason: formatting edits
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 13:41   #296
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Right now totally confused! Please advice.
P.S. I have to bear approx. 40-45% of the repairing charges.
Have you tried calling up the HDFC guys directly and ask them regarding the cashless facilities for doing this work ? I'm sure if they are selling policies, they will have more than one such facilities around that region. No harm in checking up. At least it'll give you some options and clarity regarding what is available exactly against your policy.
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 13:46   #297
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 698
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

As tinkering is ruled out. Go for cashless option with a MASS.

Take a look at HDFC recommended MASS if they are close by.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 16:58   #298
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
3. ABT Maruti ECR - Met the Body Repairs In Charge. Again same story that doors need to be replaced. They have a paint booth as well. Estimates INR 30,6xx inclusive of taxes. Unfortunately, they dont have cash less facility with HDFC (only ABT Guindy has). They said they can give the car in 3 days.
After reading the thread, this seems to me like the best option. If Ignite submits a substantially lower quote you can go ahead with them, but otherwise this looks fine.

Also don't worry about cashless - if you get it, well and fine, otherwise the insurance company will reimburse you soon after you pay.
We have done this several times, the only problem is that you have to pay up initially.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 17:28   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Take a look at HDFC recommended MASS if they are close by.
There is no MASS near ECR. I checked in HDFC website. Will call them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Also don't worry about cashless - if you get it, well and fine, otherwise the insurance company will reimburse you soon after you pay.
We have done this several times, the only problem is that you have to pay up initially.
I have very bad experience with Insurance company when my dad passed away in 1995. I was only 16 then, and had to run pillar to post to get the money out of them. Have the insurance companies changed from then? I have never taken a motor insurance claim.
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 17:33   #300
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 698
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post

I have very bad experience with Insurance company when my dad passed away in 1995. I was only 16 then, and had to run pillar to post to get the money out of them. Have the insurance companies changed from then? I have never taken a insurance claim.
Sorry to hear about the incident. Competition has been good for consumers. If you go with out cashless, do make sure the HDFC evaluator has approved the work and paperwork is complete. Else you will get surprises later.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice after an accident ajitjt Street Experiences 9 19th October 2011 15:58
A car accident, a life lost - need some advice Radha Shelat Street Experiences 32 18th March 2011 07:28
Need good advice/lawyer related to Motor vehicle accident - DELHI alpha1 Shifting gears 12 22nd July 2010 22:57
Got into an accident with my SX4 - Need advice on the repairs bkbkr1212 Street Experiences 10 30th June 2010 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks