Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th November 2013, 11:02   #346
BHPian

Default Re: My SX4 rear-ended by a school van [OMR, Chennai]; significant damage

Sorry to hear about the accidents, and good that neither of you were hurt. I travel this route frequently, and fully understand the pain of having to drive this stretch. The transport contractors are becoming a rule by themselves. They are making the roads a living hell, and have no patience or courtesy. Yesterday I noticed a cab at Ambattur with a sticker saying 'Sry I have no time' stuck across the rear door of his sumo!!

For the boot door to deform to that extent, the impact should have been quite strong. Ideally the school/ transport contractors should bear the full expense, since it was his fault. And for no fault of yours, you would be losing the no-claim bonus. But knowing these people, the school will shift it to the blame to transport contractors, and the transport contractors will blame the driver, who in turn will put up a sympathetic story, that he needs to have a min number trips for making a living!!

Now a days, the cars seem to bearing the brunt of all types of vehicles.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:13   #347
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: My SX4 rear-ended by a school van [OMR, Chennai]; significant damage

Sorry to hear that. Thank god that you and your kid came out without a scratch.

I just wanted to ask one question. How come you could maintain your temper after seeing so much of a damage when you havent done anything wrong.

Also, i liked the way you approached every stake holder in this situation. If i were you, i wouldnt have done any of that.
gemi_kk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:32   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I just wanted to ask one question. How come you could maintain your temper after seeing so much of a damage when you havent done anything wrong.

Also, i liked the way you approached every stake holder in this situation. If i were you, i wouldnt have done any of that.
Thanks Gemi - well, I have learnt not to lose my cool. I know it is difficult sometimes but you need to keep your presence of mind, else the situation could very quickly go out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
I travel this route frequently, and fully understand the pain of having to drive this stretch. The transport contractors are becoming a rule by themselves. They are making the roads a living hell, and have no patience or courtesy.
You are absolutely right mate. I am sure they will wriggle their way out of such situations. Just that this time, he was caught red-handed and he had no way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan
That seems like a lot of damage :o anyway I know I'm off topic but I noticed the Road Race Motorsports sticker on your boot lid, have you got any parts of theirs installed? Also how did you have them imported?

I am no expert in such situations (hasn't happened so far touchwood) But I do wish you the very best in getting everything repaired soon with no hassles. Seems like things are going your way anyway; driver admitting his mistake, police being surprisingly helpful, school being understanding and taking action
You are right - apart from the unfortunate accident itself, the other things went prettly smoothly, much to my own surprise!! Keeping fingers crossed.

I have a short air intake on my SX4 from RRM mated to a UNI pod filter. Brought it along with me when I was travelling.
Kaumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:40   #349
BHPian

Good to hear that you and your daughter are safe. I firmly believe that seat belts should be made compulsory in India. Instead, we have to live with ridiculous laws such as no sun films

That doesn't look like a shunt at low speeds at all!
For the boot and the bumper to be deformed to that extent, seems like the driver of the van didn't slow down even a little bit.
I doubt some third party will be helping you with the repair costs. Especially cash strapped places such as schools.
As Raghu has quoted above, these days cars seem to be bearing the brunt of all other vehicles.
If you have a car, you can say goodbye to winning any form of an argument. Even if it isn't your fault.
Hope all your issues get sorted out soon and your car returns to normal condition.

Also good to hear that the police helped you out, and didn't discriminate.
Chennai police has been doing an excellent job these days managing the ever increasing traffic.
I'm particularly pleased with their drunk-driving check posts. They've setup so many posts all over Chennai to check that. Makes me feel safer. Kudos!
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:42   #350
BHPian

@Kaumad - sorry to read about the accident and glad that you and your daughter were not harmed in anyway.

Ideally the school /transport agent should cover the damage costs but hey that is why there is insurance.

If you have not asked the school (in writing) already to cover the damage costs then don't waste any time or energy on it.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 13:20   #351
Team-BHP Support

Glad to know that you and your little girl are unhurt. A person driving a school bus ferrying little kids to school should have more sense than this. I do think you should present your case (of claiming the amount not paid by insurance) to the school once the firm estimate is received. They will most likely pass it on to the contractor which would at least give him an incentive to be more careful in future.

You seem to have done everything right in this case except paying the cops 500 to file the report. Granted you did it of your free will but don't you think this act of bribery would embolden an otherwise honest public servant to expect and even demand remuneration for services provided? In a similar situation years ago in Bangalore I profusely thanked the helpful cop and even promised to refer his niece to a job in my IT company of the time but no money was exchanged (he never did follow up on the referral, incidentally!)
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 13:29   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
They did not ask for any money - infact, I paid them 500 ruppes voluntarily.
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad that both of you escaped unhurt.

Also, the patience you exhibited during such a situation deserves an applause.

Any reason for paying the cops despite them not insisting? I ask since I am unaware if there are charges involved in paperwork at the police station, however, to the best of my knowledge, such thing doesn't exist.

Now that you paid up voluntarily, wouldn't they expect the same from every complainant visiting them for assistance? And I am sure that you paid them since you were already expecting them to ask you for a return favour?
Safety is Param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 13:36   #353
BHPian

@Kaumad, Glad that no one is hurt and Mate, you have handled the situtation pretty well in dealing with everyone.

Going by your description, I can't believe the extent of the damage. Are they active crumple zones or what ?

I don't think there is anything that can be done or you can get money from anyone. As raghu.t.k mentioned, everyone will wash their hands off and we have to be the bearers of all these.

In the police station, what was that you filed exactly ? A general Diary Entry?
Also, was it a regular police station or a traffic wing.

Take care and this will pass away soon.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 14:21   #354
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, that looks bad. Sad to see your car in such a state.

Glad to read that the cops were very helpful and supportive. Hope the insurance claim process is smooth as well for you.

In the interest of safety of the school kids, please send a firm written complaint to the school management. I only hope and pray that schools took complaints seriously the first time itself and not when issues mount.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 14:45   #355
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

It feels really bad to see that huge dent on your car. Anyways, personally for me most important thing is you & daughter suffered no injuries whatsoever. As far as damage to car is concerned, service station will take good care & your car will be as good as new.

Regarding the financial damage, I certainly feel that school authorities should own it up & fine the bus contractor for this accident. More than damage to your car, the school should be concerned about safety of the kids if such drivers are employed by bus contractors.

Also I feel it is high time to record driving offences on driving licences & cancel these licence to drive if a driver is involved in couple of accidents over a period of time.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 15:51   #356
BHPian

Default Re: Need advice after Accident

Noopster and Safety is Param, I understand your perspective. Maybe I should not have paid them any money but I did so purely out of my own will. No compulsion whatsoever.
Well, if he is honest enough I dont think he will be expecting any money from anyone, irrespective of me paying them, dont you think so?
Moreover, I am sure I was not the first one to lodge such a complaint and I am very sure I wont be the last. Hundreds of people must have lodged similar complaints before me and some might have paid, some not. So, if there was a precedent of paying in the first place, they would have asked me explicitly, isnt it?

Para 7k, this is actually an accident report / certificate which contains the following:
1. Time, date and venue of the accident
2. Registration details of both vehicles - designated as damaged vehicle [mine] and involved vehicle [school van]
3. Detailed description of the damage to my vehicle - as I have provided
4. My contact details - address and telephone.

I have the original and the police station keeps a copy.
This is the traffic accident investigation cell of the Guindy police station - so it has both wings.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:53   #357
Senior - BHPian

Default A Bachelor week-end trip goes sad!

Hi Everyone!

I am putting this post on behalf of our member, "satran" who was involved in multiple accidents during the past Sunday!

Himself and a couple of friends headed for Belur and Halebidu. It was a happy trip until about 1500 hrs when he saw a tractor ahead and thought of overtaking it.

As soon as he negotiated to the next lane (it was single carriage way), a Tata Sumo emerged from the side road on the left hand side. The driver did not bother to stop at the main road for traffic before exiting the side road but drove straight to the main road. The driver further attempted to overtake the tractor before satran reaches the point and overtakes the tractor.

The result: satran's chevy spark received dents on both the LHS doors! Both the vehicles stopped. The sumo driver and the passengers (about 6 of them) started arguing with satran. They also gathered the locals from nearby.

satran decided to take the matters to the police. Upon reaching the nearby police station, the authorities were reluctant to attend/assist. Instead satran was told to leave his car at the station, so that they can approach the Halebidu police station to file a case. The sumo team was simply arguing and threatening satran. Unfortunately for satran, it was only him who could speak Kannada. He also had is four year old daughter with him.

Hence he was in no condition to leave the car behind and so decide to face the losses himself.

satran and his friends therefore continued their return journey with a long face!

However, his bad luck did not end there. There were a set of speed breakers near Nelamangala where satran slowed down to negotiate, which was when a Hyundai Getz rear ended the spark.

On observation, the rear bumper was damaged to a good extent. The driver of the Getz was a good Samaritan and politely accepted the fault and agreed to pay for the damages. Kudos to you!

The car is currently at the Chevrolet A.S.S and the estimate is about 30K! They mentioned both the doors and bumper to be replaced.

satran hopes the insurance would be of help. :(
Attached Images

Last edited by nitinbose : 3rd December 2013 at 13:08.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:13   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Bachelor week-end trip goes sad!

30K for repairing doors & bumpers? For god's sake, its a budget small car & not a German saloon.

And going by the pictures, I don't see the need to change the doors. They can be repaired which will work out to be almost free of cost if insurance is claimed as paint & labour are included in full. The bumpers will be replaced and for that your friend might need to pay 50% of the price. Again, painting the bumper will be free!

Hardly an expense of 3-4K. Chevrolet Service center has lost it completely I guess.

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd December 2013 at 13:14.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:15   #359
Senior - BHPian

@ saket77: A correction in the estimate: Its 30K not 70k. However, according to the A.S.S, the repairs stand the same and satran trusts their workmanship.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:19   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
@ saket77: A correction in the estimate: Its 30K not 70k. However, according to the A.S.S, the repairs stand the same and satran trusts their workmanship.
Yup, I edited my post too. But my views remain the same. It's still atrocious.

Is the car's insurance covering all damages? What amount will your friend need to pay from his pocket after the claim?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote