Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th December 2013, 13:50   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Good that the car wasnt being driven very fast given that the traffic was low. +1 for wearing seat belt, which was ultimately the saviour.

Do not drive the car until you consult a doctor. Also, its best not to drive the car until it gets repaired. Else, any incidental damage that occurs while driving damaged car will not be covered by Insurance/Warranty.

Good luck! Hope everything is alright and it was a one off case.

Convey our regards to the Innova person for being a real gentleman!!!
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 13:54   #392
BHPian

Default Re: TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Good to know that no one was hurt in this accident. I am not an expert in insurance but believe that the incident should be reported at earliest. The longer the gap between the incident and its reporting, the higher the chances of insurance company rejecting the claim.

I also own a T-jet+ and have always found the brakes more than adequate for the momentum it carries. Since you felt that the brakes aren't working at their best, you should definitely get them checked. Whenever in doubt, it's better to ask a friend that owns a T-jet to drive your car and confirm whether he finds everything normal. Don't take the words of SA on face-value.

About the smoke in cabin, it can be the pretensioner. Experts can clarify but aren't the airbag and pretensioner modules linked? Is it possible for the pretensioner to get deployed without the Airbag getting deployed? With the Airbag failure message after the accident, I suspect there might be some error in the module. Get it checked thoroughly. It's better to take it to FASS than FNG.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 15:27   #393
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
You changed bumper, and claimed insurance for that much damage? :O

Given NCB was gone, it will make sense. But definitely not if NCB existed. A round of buffing and touch up would make the damage look almost non existent.

That was exactly my point, if the NCB was an issue, I would not have changed it and may have continued to live with the hole in the bumper. However, when i can use it, I dint see a reason not to use it atleast to cover for my premium charges paid so far.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 13:11   #394
BHPian

Default Polo Bumper Repaint

Last evening while returning from office, a drunk rickshaw driver scraped rear bumper of my Polo Reflex Silver (with pearl effect or something), not only the paint but the plastic has scraped as well. On earlier occasion on my visit to VW workshop motinagar my bumper developed a dent due to careless handling by their staff(I noticed it later ).

Could anybody advise on how to go about getting it fixed.

Shall I get it done from VW Authorised Body Shop, in that case what is the general cost and time required for the work.

Or, should I trust the neighbourhood painter who says he will do the entire bumper for Rs.1500/- and needs one full day. The guy is trustworthy and experienced and has done jobs satisfactorily on my santro and i10 in the past. But I am concerned about paint used by VW, it is said that their paint is water based; do we have that paint available in our markets.

Kindly advise.

(Mods please merge the post or move it to the relevant section)
mishraak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 14:13   #395
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Polo Bumper Repaint

Please subscribe to this thread - VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

There are plenty of helpful posts in this thread with regard to the pricing of spare parts, labor/service charges and scans of the service reports from fellow Polo owners.

Post #3 from that thread mentions:

Quote:
rear bumper - 5K + 5K (paint)
The pricing may have been revised since that post is fairly old (May 2011). You could try getting a quote from VW's ASC first. Contact your SA and find out the estimated price including labor charges and the time taken. The labor charges would be on the higher side and your car might spend a longer time in VW's ASC as well.

How bad is the dent? Please post a few snaps of it. If the dent isn't a major one, your local garage guy may just be able to fix it as he says. Has the bumper cracked? And IINM, silver, black and white can easily be patched unlike the other shades which may not match the stock paint. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 14:49   #396
BHPian

Was in a similar position as yours with my Rapid.
It too is Silver in colour. It had a small dent on the front bumper, along with scraping of the paint.
The Skoda guys (Moti Nagar) gave me a quote above 10k which i thought was really unreasonable.
I had a talk with the Denter there, he said that he can work on it outside at his friend's workshop in Moti Nagar (Rama Road) & get the exact same thing as the workshop people as he will be the one working on it at both the places.

I finally took the decision & gave him a chance.
He has a proper closed paint booth & uses brands like DuPont & 3M for paints & polishing.

I first got my Rapid done for Rs.3500 for the bumper (Repair & Paint) & a dent (including paint) on the bonnet.
I was so satisfied with the job that i even got my Santro fully dented & painted which was due for a long time now.
The paint matching was perfect & i was satisfied with the over all quality of the job too.
The total cost for repainting the Santro came out to be Rs.15000.

If you want you can have a look at my car first & then proceed. The guy recognises me well & would give me the best quote in the market.

See if this helps you.

PS: I am nowhere related to the workshop or the person in question an have no personal interest in this. I just came forward to help a fellow Bhpian.

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 17th December 2013 at 14:53.
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 16:26   #397
BHPian

TBHP is really the place to be for any query related to automobiles, I am thankful to all for suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How bad is the dent? Please post a few snaps of it. If the dent isn't a major one, your local garage guy may just be able to fix it as he says. Has the bumper cracked? And IINM, silver, black and white can easily be patched unlike the other shades which may not match the stock paint. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
No the bumper hasn't cracked. The pics are attached
Need advice after Accident-img_2310002.jpg
Need advice after Accident-img_2311002.jpg

Any information on water based paints.
mishraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 16:33   #398
Senior - BHPian

The scratches above the level of the rear mud flaps can be removed by Iso propyl alcohol or a mild polish. Its appears to be paint transfer from the other vehicle.

The lower ones bite right into the bumper material and only those need to be touched
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 16:37   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
The scratches above the level of the rear mud flaps can be removed by Iso propyl alcohol or a mild polish. Its appears to be paint transfer from the other vehicle.

The lower ones bite right into the bumper material and only those need to be touched
And what about the dent, Is there is a possibility of its easy removal by local bumper guys.
mishraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 17:29   #400
Team-BHP Support

Those scratches will easily be touched and removed by your neighbourhood garage fellow. They aren't deep as I had expected them to be. The bumper should be painted completely IMO else the change in the shade of silver in that particular patch will stick out like a sore thumb.

I don't have an idea about that dent however. Shall let someone else answer that part. Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted on how it goes.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 21:43   #401
Senior - BHPian

Satyam could you post contact details for the denter-painter either here on this thread or you could put up a new thread in the NCR directory and post your thread's link here. It will benefit a whole lot of members including myself. I banged my Swift's rear bumper and would like to get it mended ASAP, thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I had a talk with the Denter there, he said that he can work on it outside at his friend's workshop in Moti Nagar (Rama Road) & get the exact same thing as the workshop people as he will be the one working on it at both the places.

I finally took the decision & gave him a chance.
He has a proper closed paint booth & uses brands like DuPont & 3M for paints & polishing.

PS: I am nowhere related to the workshop or the person in question an have no personal interest in this. I just came forward to help a fellow Bhpian.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 21:56   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
And what about the dent, Is there is a possibility of its easy removal by local bumper guys.
You can try and press it out using your hand.

or try this?

If you do decide to go through with this, never touch the paint while its warm/hot as it will leave an impression on the clearcoat. If you have to cool it after the procedure, cool it from the rear!

Last edited by sohail99 : 17th December 2013 at 21:58.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 09:41   #403

Default Minor accident, now the fallout

Hi,

I had a minor accident today morning when driving down to drop my kid at school. While moving left to park my car in front of school a bike came in contact with my car just below the fuel cap and skidded to a halt.

In my hurry to park either i did not notice the guy on the left side or the guy pursued the open space the move forward. In any case i got down and apologized and on noticing a child with him enquired if both were ok. On receiving their affirmative i went inside to drop my kid.

While i was coming out of the school i notice the bike fellow taking a pic of my car, though i ran forward he fled away on his bike mentioning something about a complaint. Now here is what i need to understand from learned folks here, what sort of a complaint am i looking at and what should i be prepared for. Anything i can do proactively?

Thanks
josh.machine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 10:07   #404
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Minor accident, now the fallout

Were there any injury to anyone? Without any injury or damage to bike, I wonder how a photo of a number plate can help the guy cook up a complaint.

Sorry not much help from my side, except good wishes for keeping up morale and hoping for the best.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 10:22   #405
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Minor accident, now the fallout

Don't worry.
Even in case the guy files a police complaint nothing much will happen (neither from police end nor from court) since there was no harm to body or life.
And after the complaint is made by the other party - DON'T give in to any compensation.

In my view once you both have had a word and handshake about everything being all right - there is no question about any compensation (for vehicle damage)

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th February 2014 at 10:24.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote