Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th February 2018, 17:30   #751
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post

Insurance person saying that your car is repairable and we will give approval for repair, hence they are not considering it for total loss. According to them for car to be treated as total loss it should be irreparable.

If I want to go for monetary value then only it will be for 7 lacs only.
What the insurance person is saying sounds true. My sister crashed Wagon R and I wanted to give it in for total loss as we were sure she would be moving to Canada within months. Having to hold on to a car that had crash repairs meant lot of trouble for me when it came to selling the car and also niggles that crop up post repairs in case I keep the vehicle.

Tried discussing the idea of total loss with insurance guys and came to know that :
a. If cost of repairs exceed IDV, IDV is shelled out and
b. If the cost of repairs is approximately 80% of IDV or more, then the owner can discuss getting 80% or the respective percentage of IDV. This is not always done, but can be discussed and taken forward.

Insurance firm in my case was Bajaj Allianz.

So you will get IDV of vehicle only if repair costs exceeds IDV. Else, insurance firm will push you to get the car repaired. Try to push for total loss, in case of repairs there's a chance of getting unforeseen out of pocket expenses during repairs.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th February 2018 at 17:37.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 11:38   #752
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the list of parts needed for repair. It does not contain any component related to axle. The service adviser also suggested that its better you take the money as in re-sale I may not get same amount of money.
They will say what the agent feeds them with. My humble opinion is to get a second opinion. If there is chassis damage or misalignment, its just not worth it.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 17:25   #753
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the list of parts needed for repair. It does not contain any component related to axle. The service adviser also suggested that its better you take the money as in re-sale I may not get same amount of money.
7L for 85K, 5 Year old Skoda, you would never get that kinda money in the used market.

For heavens sake, pocket the 7L and sleep tight, it is a blessing in disguise for you, neither in the used market (as stated above) nor if were to sell it 2 days after repair that you'll get 7L with that vintage and brand.

I repeat, do NOT think twice, grab the offer !!
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 19:32   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
7L for 85K, 5 Year old Skoda, you would never get that kinda money in the used market.

For heavens sake, pocket the 7L and sleep tight, it is a blessing in disguise for you, neither in the used market (as stated above) nor if were to sell it 2 days after repair that you'll get 7L with that vintage and brand.

I repeat, do NOT think twice, grab the offer !!
I have already asked the insurance company to go for cash loss and also requested to increase some amount to which they said can be looked into and may increase by 10k or so.
smack_himanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 20:36   #755
Team-BHP Support

Please get an report and confirmation in writing that the chassis is not misaligned. If it is misaligned, find out the magnitude.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote