Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 15:36   #1606
BHPian
 
KishoreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

It has been a hell of a weekend.

First of all on Staurday, I got side banged by a truck on NH4 between NICE junction and Nelamangala. It took a chunk of my LRVM. Anyway, my shouting did not make any difference, this truck wala refused to let anyone stop him. He finally took a turn towards NH48 and stopped right on the turn.

The whole day we were on the road, and whole day we came across numerous cases of callous driving. Three or four times I had to initiate some kind of maneuver to avoid accident. I think the rash driving instances are increasing day by day.

On Sunday, we were on NH4 again, this time on Old Madras road, going towards Kolar. We saw two accidents. The first one was between a HUGE truck and a 800. The 800 was totally banged up. Hopefully the passengers survived. There were a Scorpio and an Indica which were collateral damage. They hit the truck after it overturned blocking their way.

Anyway, the first accident was the normal ones which we see almost every time we go out on highways. The second one was horrible. It was between a bike and a mid-size truck. The driver of the bike was KIA and his body was still lying on the side of the road, his bike was up in flames just next to him. The truck lost control and banged on the median, the truck driver was still in the truck, probably stuck and there were people trying to help him out. The body on the ground was a scene of mangled flesh and blood. He probably didn't have helmet on, as their was maximum injury to the head. Judging by his clothes, he was a local person. He probably travels on a stretch of this road regularly. Accidents don't happen considering these facts.

I normally avoid this kind of scenes, but in this case the traffic was being channeled through a gap very close to where the body was lying.

We prayed for the deceased and his family. I hope the truck driver was ok. The scene of death, shook both me and my wife.

I wish people get more sense in their head, and wear helmets to protect their head.

I urge all who read this post and every bhpian, please make it a point to put on your helmet every time you ride a bike. Do it even if you are a pillion rider. It's all about living, there is no point dying being faster, or protecting your hairstyle.

Last edited by KishoreC : 28th June 2010 at 15:40.
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:00   #1607
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
I urge all who read this post and every bhpian, please make it a point to put on your helmet every time you ride a bike. Do it even if you are a pillion rider. It's all about living, there is no point dying being faster, or protecting your hairstyle.
It took me a while to make my wife wear a helmet when she is riding with me. But I put my foot down and told her i wasn't taking her out on the bike unless she wore a helmet. After that, she started wearing the helmet, but she used to tell me that people on the road were laughing coz she was wearing a helmet while sitting pillion. I told her, if someone laughed for that reason, the joke was on them. I wonder what is the origin of this theory that it is ok for the pillion rider not to wear a helmet .
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:02   #1608
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
The body on the ground was a scene of mangled flesh and blood. He probably didn't have helmet on, as their was maximum injury to the head. Judging by his clothes, he was a local person.

I normally avoid this kind of scenes, but in this case the traffic was being channeled through a gap very close to where the body was lying.
I can totally understand what it must be like. I too had to go through such a situation where a father of D'Nobli college Pune was hit by a trucker and he lay in a pool of blood. It was an unnerving sight. Usually the bodies get covered in a shroud or the victim's clothing. Atleast the face is covered. I guess it must be a very fresh accident.
I hope you and your wife come out of it. Atleast I couldn't. I was very young then.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:18   #1609
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 407
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Bikers In Bangalore

Yes. Most bikers in Bangalore are a royal pain.

Why?
* Because most of them don't know what traffic rules mean.
* Because talking to someone on the mobile phone is more important
* Because the RVMS are either folded or not present
* Because they have paid the road tax..
* Because indicators are just there to ..(i dont know what).

As a rule, I dont honk.I prefer using the dipper. However, overtaking a bike during the day becomes a difficult task then. Specially since they dont bother to check their RVMS or use their indicators while changing lanes.
Generally, while driving within the city limits in heavy traffic, I keep enough gap between my vehicle and the one in front so that I can let the bikes squeeze thru. Always remember that 2 wheelers are faster thru traffic, so it will be stupid on my part to stop them. I generally tend to leave space for a biker to cut across or go thru.Any rider with basic balance and riding skill can make it thru. I only panic when I see some of those novices.You never know when they will come and hit you!

I follow these same rules when I am on my bike too. I strictly avoid any sudden direction changes since I know that it will befuddle the driver behind me. However,on rare ocassions, I do cut across to indicate my displeasure for something he did. No one comes back to mess with a loud rusty Enfield after that
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:20   #1610
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: Once
Default

I do not agree that we can generalize that bikers are more indisciplined than anyone else on the road. Sometimes, they may appear opportunist simply because they have more opportunities on Indian city roads. Given similar opportunities, even a guy behind a steering wheel would have done similar thing - it's just that the steering guy needs more space and that is denied on Indian conditions. Think about it - do you think your own discipline level depends on whether you purchase a bike or a car, or is it that with a car you are more careful because your perceived damage risk/cost is higher with it ?
A bike gets more opportunities than a Swift (for example) and a Swift gets more opportunities than an Accord in city traffic. Don't you generally notice that an Accord is most disciplined on a city road followed by Swift followed by a bike ? On highways, you may notice a slighly different display of discipline. Here the same biker may look very conservative while the Accord leading the overspeeding chart ! It's all about grabbing the opportunities.
sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 00:04   #1611
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
I do not agree that we can generalize that bikers are more indisciplined than anyone else on the road. Sometimes, they may appear opportunist simply because they have more opportunities on Indian city roads. Given similar opportunities, even a guy behind a steering wheel would have done similar thing - it's just that the steering guy needs more space and that is denied on Indian conditions. Think about it - do you think your own discipline level depends on whether you purchase a bike or a car, or is it that with a car you are more careful because your perceived damage risk/cost is higher with it ?
A bike gets more opportunities than a Swift (for example) and a Swift gets more opportunities than an Accord in city traffic. Don't you generally notice that an Accord is most disciplined on a city road followed by Swift followed by a bike ? On highways, you may notice a slighly different display of discipline. Here the same biker may look very conservative while the Accord leading the overspeeding chart ! It's all about grabbing the opportunities.
100% true.

One thing i've noticed is some people don't change their driving style when they move from a 2 wheeler to a 4 wheeler. They continue to drive their cars just like they rode their 2 wheelers...which is bad.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 09:22   #1612
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,724
Thanked: 9,029 Times
Default

Arrrgh, EMC bus switches lane at random in a traffic jam and rubs my car while passing. Got scratches on the wheel arch. Traffic was so jammed, it was not worth stopping for a scrap.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:54   #1613
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Arrrgh, EMC bus switches lane at random in a traffic jam and rubs my car while passing. Got scratches on the wheel arch. Traffic was so jammed, it was not worth stopping for a scrap.
Ajmat, if you have the reg number of the bus, why dont you try mailing their transport department? Doesnt hurt to try, altough we can very well imagine they would wash their hands off the incident.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 19:54   #1614
BHPian
 
kishoryk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Sometimes you might be in for a pleasant surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Ajmat, if you have the reg number of the bus, why dont you try mailing their transport department? Doesnt hurt to try, altough we can very well imagine they would wash their hands off the incident.
Absolutely, you never know, when you'll have those unexpected and pleasant surprises. Once I had that incident and we had to pay-up some 7K for the damages to the other vehicle. But after few days, we get a call from eInn (near EC on Hosur Road - the vehicle we hit belonged to them as it turned out) who was sorry that the accident happened in the first place. He was inquiring if their staff behaved properly with us and told us that the repairs costed only 4K and he wants to return rest of the money. Which was total surprise to us - we did not know there will be such people around us. We were even invited over for a lunch! What an experience it was!

So no harm in writing to them and you may be lucky to get reimbursed.

Cheers,
KK
kishoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 10:21   #1615
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Lane markings on IRR

1) Today I saw lane markings on Inner Ring Road. I wonder what purpose does it serve other than filling up the pockets of the contractors who did the work !! People drove oblivious to the lanes marked on the road as has been going for ages.
2) I dread to ride on this stretch especially near the Dell office because of the pedestrians crossing the road. I wonder why the authorities don't build a foot overbridge there since there so many guys ( who come from Kmgla and working in EGL) who need to go to the other side.
I have seen some pedestrians cross the road hurriedly by just showing their hands in a manner of 'stop please' without even judging if the vehicle is coming at a speed at which it cannot brake immediately. It is as if their hands control the vehicle !!. I too have crossed over couple of times, but I do it only when I feel that a vehicle is at a safe distance and can stop without knocking me over !! A foot overbridge or a subway is a necessity here.
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:44   #1616
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Killer vehicles on ORR

If you notice Innova cabs with Cisco labels on Outer ring road, STAY AWAY from them. They are the worst driven vehicles in Bangalore.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:49   #1617
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Innova cabs with Cisco labels
Next time take down the Label number and the cab number and post it on here. I know the right guys who can deal with this in CISCO.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 12:53   #1618
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
If you notice Innova cabs with Cisco labels on Outer ring road, STAY AWAY from them. They are the worst driven vehicles in Bangalore.
Quite true. They usually drive in a convoy, and are quite rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Next time take down the Label number and the cab number and post it on here. I know the right guys who can deal with this in CISCO.
Will certainly do this the next time i come across their antics.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:03   #1619
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
If you notice Innova cabs with Cisco labels on Outer ring road, STAY AWAY from them. They are the worst driven vehicles in Bangalore.
I encountered them on Wind Tunnel Road. They are quite rash in overtaking.

It was a convoy of CISCO Innova cabs, probably on the way to CISCO office. Initially I wondered how come all of them are on Wind Tunnel Road. Then it stuck me that they are taking Challaghatta-Yemlur route to reach CISCO office on ORR (bypassing Marathahalli).
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:05   #1620
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
1) Today I saw lane markings on Inner Ring Road. I wonder what purpose does it serve other than filling up the pockets of the contractors who did the work !! People drove oblivious to the lanes marked on the road as has been going for ages.
2) I dread to ride on this stretch especially near the Dell office because of the pedestrians crossing the road. I wonder why the authorities don't build a foot overbridge there since there so many guys ( who come from Kmgla and working in EGL) who need to go to the other side.
I have seen some pedestrians cross the road hurriedly by just showing their hands in a manner of 'stop please' without even judging if the vehicle is coming at a speed at which it cannot brake immediately. It is as if their hands control the vehicle !!. I too have crossed over couple of times, but I do it only when I feel that a vehicle is at a safe distance and can stop without knocking me over !! A foot overbridge or a subway is a necessity here.

It is not easy to successfully implement a footbridge in India. Unless you provide some incentives to an Indian to take that extra effort, very few will take this "long-cut". There is one near Leela Palace - it was unsuccessful until the authorities started to provide incentives to people to make use of it.

And on the lane marking - there are many such things that make no sense in Indian conditions but authorities still spend tax money on them. We have to remember that looks matter more than functionality in public spending. Can anyone justify why potholed roads are freshly tarred and then speed-breakers are added to them ? When we have natural speed-controlling elements like potholes and stray cattles, why do we spend money on speed-breakers which, on any day, are less effective than the natural alternatives on Indian road.
Which one gives you more sense of safety - a junction with fully automatic signals but no police on duty or a junction with no signals but police on duty ? The very fact that almost every signalled junction is staffed with policemen carries the proof how ineffective the signals are in controlling Indian traffic. But these signals still exist since they look good and gives a false sense of development.
sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 1984 7th August 2017 16:23
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks