Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 16:18   #1681
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Its become a norm for the morons driving the Volvos these days. Interestingly, none of the miserable conditions which bblost mentioned in his post above apply to these guys.
Yes, the Volvo offers the driver AC, PS, Low noise, AT, Better RVMs, Suspension, Seats and more Powered engine.
That's why they get over-excited and drive as if they own the road.

So, keep AWAY from them.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 13th July 2010 at 16:24.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 22:30   #1682
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Yes, the Volvo offers the driver AC, PS, Low noise, AT, Better RVMs, Suspension, Seats and more Powered engine.
They don't deserve it. The slumdogs feel themselves kings after getting so much of facilities.

There was one VOLVO in Indiranagar was honking behind me in a red signal. When I lowered my glass and peeped out asking him why was he so serious, he started making vulgar signs with his hand towards me (My car is DL registerred so he thought he could play with me). I got down and walked towards him but my girlfriend came out and stopped me. I would have broken that moron's hands into pieces that day.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:07   #1683
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 103 Times
Default why?

Everyday the junction on OMR big bazaar is a living evidence that we are THE most uncultured people on the roads. We talk so much about human rights etc, but look at the number of people on that junction who just DO NOT stop at the red signal. There is a turn from the side of Big bazaar right onto OMR, the traffic coming straight in front of Big Bazaar just does not stop! Today a couple of cars ahead of me literally had to jump in between the oncoming traffic to make them stop. Its just too much to take at times, wonder why do we pay the road tax, can't it be enough to have cops at the signals? The moment they see a cop, they will stop,wish there was some serious strict action taken. I plan to video record this and send this to some news channels to air maybe or papers to publish the photos if that will make any difference. If i was given a chance, i would just fine all those jokers min 1000 rs for signal jumping.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:10   #1684
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
They don't deserve it. The slumdogs feel themselves kings after getting so much of facilities.

There was one VOLVO in Indiranagar was honking behind me in a red signal.
On the lighter side, the only thing the Volvo doesn't have is a good horn. Their horn-sound is really funny.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:20   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,009
Thanked: 9,463 Times
Default

None of the BMTC/KSRTC buses barring interstate regulars and Volvos have pressure horns.Hence, Volvos are no exceptions but I agree that they are helpless at times since their silent exhausts also fail to hint fellow motorists that they are closing in :-).
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:29   #1686
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,984
Thanked: 3,408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
On the lighter side, the only thing the Volvo doesn't have is a good horn. Their horn-sound is really funny.
Well, despite this they still pump the horn as if they were driving an ambulance.

Last evening, at the junction just before Carnation, a BMTC Volvo clipped off the ORVM of an Omni, and a fight ensued. I didnt wait around to see who won.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:31   #1687
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 979
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
None of the BMTC/KSRTC buses barring interstate regulars and Volvos have pressure horns.Hence, Volvos are no exceptions but I agree that they are helpless at times since their silent exhausts also fail to hint fellow motorists that they are closing in :-).
What about the private run bus operators?

Many a times I've had a private buy guy with a HUGE horn making a trumpeting sound and annoying anyone who's ahead and driving dangerously close to other vehicles. Its actually pretty scary to be stuck behind one in traffic. A few weeks back, a SETC bus squeezed me onto the median when I was trying to overtake it. Luckily I fell at a very slow speed.

PS: Looks like the Sarjapur Road-ORR flyover is going to open pretty soon, road work is already in progress and the lights on the flyover are getting their electrical connections done too. Looks like my office commute time is going to get shortened by about 10-15% pretty soon.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:52   #1688
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

If you want to see a lot of morons with no idea about traffic rules, go into the service road after JP Morgan on ORR and then turn left near the STP to enter what is called the "Tulsi Theatre Road" in Marathahalli. Here , you will find all kinds of morons, right from people riding 2 wheelers with their heads bent to one side with a mobile phone between their head and shoulders, to people starting to cross the road while talking on the phone without looking if there are any vehicles. I use this road daily and the only way i keep my patience is by counting the number of morons that i encounter. Seems like this place attracts all the ones who have no idea about road manners. The stretch is less than a kilometer and i find atleast a couple of each of these violations everyday.
1. People crossing the road and not seeing if there are any vehicles and sometimes even talking on the mobile. When they realise a vehicle is coming at them, they wake up from their slumber and just freeze on the spot till the vehicle stops.
2. Two wheelers with the person talking on the phone.
3. People who don't know how to use the low beam in their vehicle.
4. People who park their car or vehicle on the road and don't care that they are blocking a road that is already just enough for one vehicle to pass at a time.
5. People who walk in the middle of the road and don't give way to anyone.
6. People who honk for no reason at all.
7. People who don't know how to enter the main road from a side road and just enter without even taking a look at the main road.
8. People who block the road because they are watching a cricket match on a TV in a small shop :O .

Last edited by Newpunter : 15th July 2010 at 11:54.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:54   #1689
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Everyday the junction on OMR big bazaar is a living evidence that we are THE most uncultured people on the roads. We talk so much about human rights etc, but look at the number of people on that junction who just DO NOT stop at the red signal. There is a turn from the side of Big bazaar right onto OMR, the traffic coming straight in front of Big Bazaar just does not stop! Today a couple of cars ahead of me literally had to jump in between the oncoming traffic to make them stop. Its just too much to take at times, wonder why do we pay the road tax, can't it be enough to have cops at the signals? The moment they see a cop, they will stop,wish there was some serious strict action taken. I plan to video record this and send this to some news channels to air maybe or papers to publish the photos if that will make any difference. If i was given a chance, i would just fine all those jokers min 1000 rs for signal jumping.
As I said earlier too, in Indian context, a traffic signal is not only a waste of taxpayers' money, but also a serious hazard for foreign drivers. By foreign, I mean someone who is not aware of local traffic culture. In RED, if you stop, you may get banged by someone from behind who might have accelerated seeing Yellow. In GREEN, if you accelerate, you may get hit from any side or you may run over someone trying to run across.

In Bangalore, most of the time, the following culture overrides the conventional rule :

Yellow => Accelerate

Red => Ignore for first 15 seconds. Move cautiously in next 15 seconds. Follow the overall traffic flow afterwards

Green => Danger ! Be very cautious while crossing the signal


Traffic signals are for developed and disciplined nations. India is far far away from there. We need our own solution to our problems and not western solutions which look good but are of little use in Indian context.
sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 11:59   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,009
Thanked: 9,463 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
What about the private run bus operators?

Many a times I've had a private buy guy with a HUGE horn making a trumpeting sound and annoying anyone who's ahead and driving dangerously close to other vehicles. Its actually pretty scary to be stuck behind one in traffic. A few weeks back, a SETC bus squeezed me onto the median when I was trying to overtake it. Luckily I fell at a very slow speed.
In which case the list can be endless with Sand Lorries, Trucks on ORR, Private buses doing Kanakapura, Mandya, Chikballapura, Doddaballapura, Kolar trips who have similar horns like you mentioned!

You think the Police or the authorities dont have a clue on this menace? Everyone knows how they are bribed regularly which is a different topic to discuss. How can we even forget the interestingly dubious tampered silencers of our Autowallas?? Most of the cars drive windows rolled up even on a day when the weather is pleasant for breathing in some fresh air only to avoid these noises (Especially the Autos).

At the Kodigehalli Singal (after Esteem Mall) on new Airport Road, Private buses take the service road to beat the queue and join back the main road even when It is clearly mentioned that it is not permitted. I understand the case where at certain points service roads are where these buses are mandatorily asked to stop.

Again, interestingly, on the same service lane there is a big ceremony hall and usually the marriages taking place here are bigger events and cars are parked on both sides of the service lane leaving a gap for just a normal sized car to pass (forget the poor Wide body Logan) even when there are several No parking signs. I usually take the service road to deviate left towards Sahakarnagar and when I was stuck once due to this haphazard parking, I asked the cop doing duty at the signal as to why he was turning a blind eye on what was happening for which he replied that I need to complain the Bangalore North (IIRC) Traffic commissioner for this!
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 12:18   #1691
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
As I said earlier too, in Indian context, a traffic signal is not only a waste of taxpayers' money, but also a serious hazard for foreign drivers. By foreign, I mean someone who is not aware of local traffic culture. In RED, if you stop, you may get banged by someone from behind who might have accelerated seeing Yellow. In GREEN, if you accelerate, you may get hit from any side or you may run over someone trying to run across.

In Bangalore, most of the time, the following culture overrides the conventional rule :

Yellow => Accelerate

Red => Ignore for first 15 seconds. Move cautiously in next 15 seconds. Follow the overall traffic flow afterwards

Green => Danger ! Be very cautious while crossing the signal


Traffic signals are for developed and disciplined nations. India is far far away from there. We need our own solution to our problems and not western solutions which look good but are of little use in Indian context.
The only solution is called Danda- which translates into strict action against offenders. Our people work ONLY when scared or under the stick, we should be ashamed of even opening our mouth criticizing anything about the west or any other country when we cannot respect the laws of our OWN country. This is for those who at the drop of a hat open their mouth and talk about so and and so nation doing such and such thing etc.
All this makes me sad to be an indian, honestly.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 12:23   #1692
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Looks like the Sarjapur Road-ORR flyover is going to open pretty soon, road work is already in progress and the lights on the flyover are getting their electrical connections done too. Looks like my office commute time is going to get shortened by about 10-15% pretty soon.
Me too eagerly awating the opening of this flyover!!
Avoiding Bellandur road would be one of the best things to happen in my daily drive..
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 13:34   #1693
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 786 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I got down and walked towards him but my girlfriend came out and stopped me. I would have broken that moron's hands into pieces that day.
Ok pal lets get a little practical here considering the comment that you have made. Lets say you did it, am sure you and your GF would have been at the mercy of the BMTC bus drivers and the locals.

Considering the fact that you are driving a DL registered car here, it would have simply made the situation bad for you and your gf. I would say think and act wise , knowing the local language helps but to a certain extent period.
If your fate is to be on the receiving end then a being a localite or a non-localite doesn't really help when in the hands of such BMTC drivers.

So please don't get aggressive at such instances and its best to avoid them.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 12:23   #1694
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore,Karwar,Vasco-Goa
Posts: 110
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
The only solution is called Danda- which translates into strict action against offenders. Our people work ONLY when scared or under the stick, we should be ashamed of even opening our mouth criticizing anything about the west or any other country when we cannot respect the laws of our OWN country. This is for those who at the drop of a hat open their mouth and talk about so and and so nation doing such and such thing etc.
All this makes me sad to be an indian, honestly.
Agree with you, in our country people understand & respect Danda. But i guess the inaction of the traffic cops is equally to blame. The left lane being blocked when the left signal is on is very common. I don't understand what stops the cops from taking action. It will definitely reduce traffic problems by 10-15%.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 12:51   #1695
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,497
Thanked: 716 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
They don't deserve it. The slumdogs feel themselves kings after getting so much of facilities.

There was one VOLVO in Indiranagar was honking behind me in a red signal. When I lowered my glass and peeped out asking him why was he so serious, he started making vulgar signs with his hand towards me (My car is DL registerred so he thought he could play with me). I got down and walked towards him but my girlfriend came out and stopped me. I would have broken that moron's hands into pieces that day.
There is nothing wrong in the way you feel. But you could also just talk sensibly and ask him what's wrong. You could have tried to change someones attitude. (Maybe he was pointing to your car door which was not shut properly or something..... just kidding)

Just yesterday, a guy rushed from my right side in a turn where everyone in my lane has been waiting for 5 minutes. Just smiled and asked him what are you are doing, he smiled and backed out. He was with his wife/gf and would have been embarrassed and hope he remembers it.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2003 5th September 2017 20:03
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks