Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 12:35   #3796
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 875
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I had a pathetic drive last evening in Bangalore due to the rains. Spent 1.5 hours in heavy traffic as against 30-40 minutes on a normal day. All the 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear and a hard clutch did not make life any easier. I keep wondering, why does rain make traffic come to a standstill in Bangalore. Still not got an answer..:-(
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:53   #3797
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I keep wondering, why does rain make traffic come to a standstill in Bangalore. Still not got an answer..:-(
What I have noticed is during rains, the traffic warden takes shelter and traffic at the junctions goes for toss. Its not until the police (with an umbrella or when the rain stop) or a volunteer tries to restore sanity for traffic flow. But by the damage is done - the bottleneck is created and the ripple effect takes few hours to return to normalcy.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:56   #3798
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had a pathetic drive last evening in Bangalore due to the rains. Spent 1.5 hours in heavy traffic as against 30-40 minutes on a normal day. All the 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear and a hard clutch did not make life any easier. I keep wondering, why does rain make traffic come to a standstill in Bangalore. Still not got an answer..:-(
Traffic police and the lights are usually what is used to manage heavy traffic. When it's raining, its just the lights, because Traffic Police haven't any rain gear. To make things worse, people jump signals and dividers to escape the rain trying to reach home early.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:58   #3799
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,162 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had a pathetic drive last evening in Bangalore due to the rains. Spent 1.5 hours in heavy traffic as against 30-40 minutes on a normal day. All the 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear and a hard clutch did not make life any easier. I keep wondering, why does rain make traffic come to a standstill in Bangalore. Still not got an answer..:-(
^^ Rain has certain chemical properties that are known to cause hypertension, anxiety, panic and impatience. When ideally people should be keeping their two eyes open, they close them while simultaneously opening their 'third-eye' which leads them to drive like zombies seemingly under the control of a spell previously unknown to human-kind.

Also, the fact that the roads look like they'd turned into war-zones doesn't help matters.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 14:26   #3800
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Morning rain - many people who otherwise come by 2 wheelers and public transport take out their car's.
So more vehicles on the road leads to jams.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 14:42   #3801
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

One more reason for some roads being clogged during rain- Yesterday while going back home, there was a huge jam near Mekhri circle - reason being hundreds of two wheelers taking shelter from rain underneath the underpass, occupying more than half of the road. Same could be seen on Hebbal flyover too, two wheelers riding towards airport side, taking shelter under the ramp which goes towards KR puram, blocking half of the already narrow flyover!
sandsun7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 15:13   #3802
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I recently moved from Jayanagar to Kalena Agrahara on Bannerghatta Road in Bangalore. Apart from (1) The slow moving route towards Jayadeva Flyover and the crawl towards Silk Board via BTM layout or including deviations through Madivala Lake, (2) The exorbitantly expensive and long route using NICE corridor and BETL road combinations and (3) the impossible to traverse narrow roads via Devarachikkanahalli, is there any sane and motorable alternative from Bannerghatta Road near Meenakshi Temple to Hosur Road and onwards to Silk Board.

A 8 Km difference in my commute to office (at Domlur) has increased my commuting time each way by 45 minutes. It is an unimaginable feat in civic planning that such a huge parcel of land between these two main roads do not have a decent road in between, or am I missing some road which any experienced BHPian can guide me on.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:49   #3803
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Came across this news

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...diot-sign.html

I wish something like this could be done here in Bangalore. So many bikers here take the pavement option all the time. This can be a very solid deterrent. Innovative punishments like these are really needed here.

Request to mods: Please move this to appropriate thread (if such a thread exists). This post is about wrong driving and the punishment for that awarded by a court in US.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 14:02   #3804
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,162 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Came across this news

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...diot-sign.html

I wish something like this could be done here in Bangalore. So many bikers here take the pavement option all the time. This can be a very solid deterrent. Innovative punishments like these are really needed here.
The only way to curb this is to install a strong fence that divides the pavement and the road, and also install bollards / poles at the ends of the pavement.

If the prices of fines remain Rs. 100, it's not going to be a deterrent in any way.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 14:09   #3805
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had a pathetic drive last evening in Bangalore due to the rains. Spent 1.5 hours in heavy traffic as against 30-40 minutes on a normal day. All the 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear and a hard clutch did not make life any easier. I keep wondering, why does rain make traffic come to a standstill in Bangalore. Still not got an answer..:-(
I had this experience on the evening of 5th of Nov as well. With heavy downpour, and clogged roads, the 'driving lane' tends to reduce, commuters (autorickshaws, 4 wheelers etc ) are reluctant to drive through these puddles, wary of the depth, hence tend to move towards the centre of the road, thereby slowing up.
And one needs to be doubly careful when the rain stops after a sudden burst, as the shelter seeking 2 wheeler commuters will also join the road and will be in a real hurry to reach their destinations before the next downpour.
Swifdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 14:16   #3806
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The only way to curb this is to install a strong fence that divides the pavement and the road, and also install bollards / poles at the ends of the pavement.
Pavement riders are nothing but queue jumpers. Getting few meters ahead won't reduce their commute time.
Another way to curb this menace is to raise curb height to at least 6". If some reason it cannot be done, build 6" step on the foot-path, perpendicular to the road.

PS: This solution is not wheel chair users friendly. But in the current state, no pavement is wheel-chair friendly.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 14:58   #3807
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
I had this experience on the evening of 5th of Nov as well. With heavy downpour, and clogged roads, the 'driving lane' tends to reduce, commuters (autorickshaws, 4 wheelers etc ) are reluctant to drive through these puddles, wary of the depth, hence tend to move towards the centre of the road, thereby slowing up.
And one needs to be doubly careful when the rain stops after a sudden burst, as the shelter seeking 2 wheeler commuters will also join the road and will be in a real hurry to reach their destinations before the next downpour.
Well, it isn't bikers alone. One night, returning back from office on the BETL, it was raining quite heavily and the water was at least higher than ankle deep on sections of the elevated road. Cars - even SUVs would not drive over this water and kept shoving bikers off the lane! It became so scary that I stopped at the by-lane and waited for the car guys to move on.

Rain surely does something weird to drivers senses. Maybe a feeling of claustrophobia?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 16:30   #3808
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,005
Thanked: 6,162 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Pavement riders are nothing but queue jumpers. Getting few meters ahead won't reduce their commute time.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: This solution is not wheel chair users friendly. But in the current state, no pavement is wheel-chair friendly.
Are you referring to the height of the pavement or the idea of bollards? Because one could acquire retractable bollards and install them at the ends of the pavement allowing for free entry / exit for those on wheel-chairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, it isn't bikers alone. One night, returning back from office on the BETL, it was raining quite heavily and the water was at least higher than ankle deep on sections of the elevated road. Cars - even SUVs would not drive over this water and kept shoving bikers off the lane!
I wouldn't blame them for trying to avoid getting into ankle-deep water, give the state of the roads in Bangalore these days. But I certainly don't advocate the idea of bullying one's way through vehicles especially two-wheelers and even more so when it rains. That's just utter lack of compassion.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 10:14   #3809
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Is it just me or has anyone observed the massive increase in traffic on Bangalore roads ? I have noticed a consistent increase of 40 min of extra travel time since last week. If at 8.30 in the morning, the KR Puram flyover is clogged with traffic, then at what time will it actually be free ??
rohittunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 10:20   #3810
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Is it just me or has anyone observed the massive increase in traffic on Bangalore roads ? I have noticed a consistent increase of 40 min of extra travel time since last week. If at 8.30 in the morning, the KR Puram flyover is clogged with traffic, then at what time will it actually be free ??
I have noticed this too and I don't understand why! Since the last week, it's been pathetic. We already know what rains do to Bangalore roads and traffic, but what's the reason when it doesn't rain?

My office cab starts from Bellandur by 5.35 PM and I generally reach home by 7. But since the last week I've been reaching home consistently at 8!

I was thinking traffic will be lesser this week as most North Indians prefer to go home for Diwali.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 1986 21st August 2017 21:28
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks