Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 10:55   #3976
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
You sure it was a Ferrari? I've seen a orange Lamborghini on that stretch.
You're right. It was a Lamborghini. Wonder what it must be like to drive one of those in peak hour Bangalore traffic. Mountain like speed breakers, potholes, 120 second wait times at the lights and vehicles weaving in and out; and all that in inching traffic.

I wouldn't mind electrifying the body to keep people from coming any where near it.
vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:20   #3977
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,219
Thanked: 4,862 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Wonder what it must be like to drive one of those in peak hour Bangalore traffic. Mountain like speed breakers, potholes, 120 second wait times at the lights and vehicles weaving in and out; and all that in inching traffic.
If he cannot unleash the power on the roads, at least he can scare the wits out of people around by revving like mad in the 120 second signals And any person tries to come close, press the clutch, floor the throttle and that is better than a power horn
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:32   #3978
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If he cannot unleash the power on the roads, at least he can scare the wits out of people around by revving like mad in the 120 second signals And any person tries to come close, press the clutch, floor the throttle and that is better than a power horn
Reminds me of a scene in Bruce Almighty.
Attached Images
 
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:41   #3979
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Saw this in the news paper today. The first reaction was not of awesomeness , but of the meticulous planning these guys have put in for the future. Reminding me of the unplanned flyovers that we have built and are under construction. We plan for the immediate need and the whole thing becomes obsolete in a year or two.

Thats where something like this grabs your attention. Hope our planners also get a chance to see these and work on for the future :

===========
The Lujiazui Bridge connects financiers to leisure areas such as shops and cafes situated across the seemingly interminable expanse of the giant roadway. The bridge sits almost 20 feet above the street, with numerous escalator stairway entrances and exits. Visitors enjoy the walkway for its privileged views of the city as well as its introduction of clean and easy foot transportation.

Name:  ShanghaiLuJiaZuicircularPedestrianBridge2.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  541.7 KB

Source : http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog.../#.UMbUcnd2DIU

Last edited by mannubhai : 11th December 2012 at 12:43.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 08:46   #3980
BHPian
 
vinu_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
It's been over a month since I started reporting violations via public eye and NOT EVEN ONE of the 68 violations that I've reported have been acted on. I used the link(search and pay violations by vehicle number) to verify this. I really thought BTP was serious when they launched Public Eye.

I give up.
Thank you BTP for listening. Please continue the good work. Have the challans been posted to the violators ? They're continuing unabated.

A few that I reported. The 3rd pic is of a G
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btp.png  

vinu_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 10:12   #3981
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,710
Thanked: 3,004 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Saw this in the news paper today. The first reaction was not of awesomeness , but of the meticulous planning these guys have put in for the future. Reminding me of the unplanned flyovers that we have built and are under construction. We plan for the immediate need and the whole thing becomes obsolete in a year or two.

Thats where something like this grabs your attention. Hope our planners also get a chance to see these and work on for the future :
I had a chance to see this personally during my recent trip to China. Was amazed by their planning and execution. Pedestrians can now cross this really busy junction with ease. Moreover, the TV tower and aquarium next to this makes it more even crowded. Here's one pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4327.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 10:18   #3982
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Saw this in the news paper today. The first reaction was not of awesomeness , but of the meticulous planning these guys have put in for the future. Reminding me of the unplanned flyovers that we have built and are under construction. We plan for the immediate need and the whole thing becomes obsolete in a year or two.

Thats where something like this grabs your attention. Hope our planners also get a chance to see these and work on for the future :
The problem with India is even if you build something like this, how many people will really utilize this. We will still see people crossing the roads and not using the overpass or underpass.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 10:47   #3983
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The problem with India is even if you build something like this, how many people will really utilize this. We will still see people crossing the roads and not using the overpass or underpass.
There must be no way pedestrians be able to get on to the road, except at zebra crossings. All exits must be sealed. This will also prevent illegal parking at the curb.

PS: People in China or any country are as undisciplined as in India. Only difference is they have cultivated the habit & Indians haven't.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:01   #3984
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had a chance to see this personally during my recent trip to China.
Wow , That would have been quite a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The problem with India is even if you build something like this, how many people will really utilize this. We will still see people crossing the roads and not using the overpass or underpass.
Im sorry, but thats the excuse we have for everything. We build an underpass and leave the road wide open for people to run across and cross at their whims and fancies. They put the blame on a "rash" driver if someone comes under a vehicle trying an illegal crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There must be no way pedestrians be able to get on to the road, except at zebra crossings. All exits must be sealed. This will also prevent illegal parking at the curb..
Totally agree. This is the answer to speedmiester's post. Moreover, crossing the road other than through zebra crossing/foot overbridge/underpass should be treated as a crime. This should be treated the same way as a vehicle jumping the signal.

Yesterday evening at brigade road junction, a gentleman decides to cross the road.While he was talking on the phone , he signals to the vehicles to stop, and keeps walking. He had a red signal for pedestrian crossing. The cop standing right there, then asks other pedestrians also to follow suit. The vehicles who had the green signal had to wait in the middle of MG road till this illegal crossing was done. We can brush it aside as a minor incident, and go with the blore's very own " swalpa Adjust maadi" attitude. But if a vehicle should not jump a red light, a pedestrian also should not.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:10   #3985
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 822 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Totally agree. This is the answer to speedmiester's post. Moreover, crossing the road other than through zebra crossing/foot overbridge/underpass should be treated as a crime. This should be treated the same way as a vehicle jumping the signal.
I understand your sentiment, but have you seen how the dividers and barricades put in are damaged to allow people and two wheelers cross the roads to save a maximum of 1 minute time.
The worrying part is, most of these people are well educated and understand the importance of such barricades. The problem is with implementation, police should fine jaywalking and educate people not to cross the road.

Off Topic:
About a month back, I was travelling with my dad from Mysore to Sakleshpur. Near a village, an hit and run accident has happened and the villagers were protesting by blocking the highway. If that was not enough, the villagers have brought in a JCB and dug up the road so that no vehicles could pass through. The police were just mute spectators. All this in a village which had barricades and zebra crossing for allowing pedestrians to cross the road.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:18   #3986
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I understand your sentiment, but have you seen how the dividers and barricades put in are damaged to allow people and two wheelers cross the roads to save a maximum of 1 minute time.
.
Very true. Reminds of an incident i witnessed a while back in old airport road.

The road from leela palace till the flyover is barricaded and has a foot over bridge. I was in the leela palace signal and going towards Indiranagar side. The signal had just cleared and vehicles were moving pretty fast. There was a scorpio ahead of me on the right extreme lane. I saw a guy trying to squeeze through a small opening in the barricade and i smelt trouble. He puts his left leg in and is squeezing his body through it, and i hear a loud cry. The scorp had run through is foot.

In trying to save one minute , he may never walk again .
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:43   #3987
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,710
Thanked: 3,004 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Wow , That would have been quite a sight.
Indeed. They have escalators all around for easy access. People can also use the zebra crossing in case they dont want to use this bridge. You can see in the pic. Everything else is sealed but the zebra crossing is open for people to use. Everything is organized and we didnt have any trouble accessing the bridge or the zebra crossing. Well planned and a must here in India.

Couple more pics. There's one pic showing how well they sealed the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4313.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4315.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sam_0057.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4328.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 16:56   #3988
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I have noticed 2 new speed breakers installed on Inner Ring Road while going to Indiranagar.

First one is after the intersection from where vehicles from Indiranagar side take U turn.

Second one is close to Trident Hyundai.

Both of these are unpainted and may cause accidents at night.
vivek.ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 22:34   #3989
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,481
Thanked: 4,073 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
I have noticed 2 new speed breakers installed on Inner Ring Road while going to Indiranagar.

First one is after the intersection from where vehicles from Indiranagar side take U turn.

Second one is close to Trident Hyundai.

Both of these are unpainted and may cause accidents at night.
To add to this, there are atleast 5 barricades between the U turn to Domlur flyover. This is simply not accpetable by Police. If this continues during peak hours, be ready for adding a lot more minutes to reach either home or office.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 09:47   #3990
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,874
Thanked: 9,643 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
To add to this, there are atleast 5 barricades between the U turn to Domlur flyover. This is simply not accpetable by Police. If this continues during peak hours, be ready for adding a lot more minutes to reach either home or office.
Those were left over from the drunken driving checks during the evening
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2020 23rd November 2017 13:33
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks