Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 12:39   #496
BHPian
 
unni.ak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 777
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

A funny incident happened yesterday, which taught me a lot about the perceptions we have. I was returning home on bike from my office in Brookefields at about 1am. As I near the ITPL turn-off junction on the Brookefields-Hoodi Road, I see a Logan taxi behind me honking and flashing. I move to the left, giving him space to pass and cross the junction. He doesnt over-take and slows down at the junction, and I'm thinking what a moron.

I check the RVM, and see that he has not turned towards ITPL. The incessant honking and flashing starts again. This time, I slow down, move onto the shoulder of the road, enough space for a lorry to pass, and give a sarcastic "go-ahead" hand signal. The cab comes parallel to me and the driver is shouting something at me, but with a silly expression on his face. I slow down and stop with choicest abuses ready to unravel. Poor chap wanted to know where Ginger Hotel is!!! and here I'm waiting to abuse him
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:05   #497
BHPian
 
G-BoleroBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sam_boy, as Ajmat has mentioned, this is how others as well also go ahead with having their vehicles enter onto the road.

Perhaps you havent been to Electronic City in the mornings and evenings. A certain Indian IT company also has the whole world waiting while their buses spill onto the roads or even as they enter the bus parking area.

While waiting in my car, I also sit and fume... but come to think of it, how else will the buses be able to enter onto the road? Surely, they cant fly?!
I've thought about this as well waiting for their buses to pass. And after every 5 or 8 or more buses they allow road traffic to move on. Come to think of it, if security personnel dont intervene all those 40 buses can drive out without letting a fly pass through in between - credit goes to their highly skilled drivers and beaten rusted buses...
G-BoleroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 23:01   #498
BHPian
 
sam_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OD10 -> KA-01
Posts: 219
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
I've thought about this as well waiting for their buses to pass. And after every 5 or 8 or more buses they allow road traffic to move on. Come to think of it, if security personnel dont intervene all those 40 buses can drive out without letting a fly pass through in between - credit goes to their highly skilled drivers and beaten rusted buses...
Do you really think the security guys allow traffic to pass after every 5-8 of their buses ... Well, does not happen with the company I am talking of. I understand the problem and yes if they let the traffic to pass after 5-8 buses its ok and people will definitely coordinate, but once you stop then the whole stream of buses pass , by that time huge traffic piles up and few educated useless morons by seeing the traffic try to pass through the wrong side of the road creating a total chaos ... What you are talking of is ideal scenarios which are uncommon.

Sorry for disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I slow down and stop with choicest abuses ready to unravel. Poor chap wanted to know where Ginger Hotel is!!! and here I'm waiting to abuse him
This is a good one dude..
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:48   #499
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Guys,

Anyone noticed, off late Bangalore traffic seems to be so damn sparce.

I used to take 1 hr 15 mins from my office to Home previously, now i get back home within an hour.

Mornings are now more cheerful, no traffic jams anywhere, no mad-rush, i reach office within 40 mins which was earlier 1 hr and 30 mins.

Whats up......?whats happening
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:10   #500
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
A funny incident happened yesterday, which taught me a lot about the perceptions we have. I was returning home on bike from my office in Brookefields at about 1am. As I near the ITPL turn-off junction on the Brookefields-Hoodi Road, I see a Logan taxi behind me honking and flashing. I move to the left, giving him space to pass and cross the junction. He doesnt over-take and slows down at the junction, and I'm thinking what a moron.

I check the RVM, and see that he has not turned towards ITPL. The incessant honking and flashing starts again. This time, I slow down, move onto the shoulder of the road, enough space for a lorry to pass, and give a sarcastic "go-ahead" hand signal. The cab comes parallel to me and the driver is shouting something at me, but with a silly expression on his face. I slow down and stop with choicest abuses ready to unravel. Poor chap wanted to know where Ginger Hotel is!!! and here I'm waiting to abuse him

thats because only in India "flashing headlight" means, "you better let me go now".
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:17   #501
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys,

Anyone noticed, off late Bangalore traffic seems to be so damn sparce.

I used to take 1 hr 15 mins from my office to Home previously, now i get back home within an hour.

Mornings are now more cheerful, no traffic jams anywhere, no mad-rush, i reach office within 40 mins which was earlier 1 hr and 30 mins.

Whats up......?whats happening
Was it on a Sunday? LOL.
Jokes, apart, this is something to welcome with arms wide open!

Optimist in me: People are using Public Transport more.
Pessimist in me: People are cutting down on travel due to recession (read - job loss or the fear of it!)
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:55   #502
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 580
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM
Anyone noticed, off late Bangalore traffic seems to be so damn sparce.
Nope not here, never on weekdays, never on the way from KRPuram to Electronics City via ORR, Bellandur and Parapana Agrahara.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 20:53   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys,

Anyone noticed, off late Bangalore traffic seems to be so damn sparce.

I used to take 1 hr 15 mins from my office to Home previously, now i get back home within an hour.

Mornings are now more cheerful, no traffic jams anywhere, no mad-rush, i reach office within 40 mins which was earlier 1 hr and 30 mins.

Whats up......?whats happening
Effect of the recession,by any chance? Definitely a welcome thing in Bangalore traffic.Enjoy it while it lasts.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:18   #504
BHPian
 
gajsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 65
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys,

Anyone noticed, off late Bangalore traffic seems to be so damn sparce.

I used to take 1 hr 15 mins from my office to Home previously, now i get back home within an hour.

Mornings are now more cheerful, no traffic jams anywhere, no mad-rush, i reach office within 40 mins which was earlier 1 hr and 30 mins.

Whats up......?whats happening
recession pavan, close to 40k people have been laid off, what do you expect?


And regarding the original post, great writeup man. I so wish we can knock some traffic sense into the head of the poor sods
gajsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:47   #505
Newbie
 
Partho-Palio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Traffic Penalties are ridiculously low in Bangalore. No body would bother to pay 100/- for any of these offences. In Delhi, Ms Sheila Dikshit, just added another 1000 for any offence. Say 100 is the penalty for jumping lights. She made it 1100/- and yes that amount did pinch pockets and Traffic in Delhi become more manageable. In Bangalore this should happen. It should pinch pockets real seriously.
Partho-Palio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:21   #506
BHPian
 
sam_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OD10 -> KA-01
Posts: 219
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partho-Palio View Post
Traffic Penalties are ridiculously low in Bangalore. No body would bother to pay 100/- for any of these offences. In Delhi, Ms Sheila Dikshit, just added another 1000 for any offence. Say 100 is the penalty for jumping lights. She made it 1100/- and yes that amount did pinch pockets and Traffic in Delhi become more manageable. In Bangalore this should happen. It should pinch pockets real seriously.
Today I saw a traffic police guy neatly doing his duty and posting the fine notice on the few MERU taxis and some personal cars which are parked infront of the Reliance fresh ( next to staples and infront of Innovative Multiplex) in Outer Ring road. He did not speak to any of the Taxi wallahs and what I felt he refused to take money from the guys who parked their cars there. I liked this cop and the way he carried his work .... There is always a problem in the road with vehicles parked on both sides of the service road.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:05   #507
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

I think i have seen him too.. problem is these days even the so called educated follow rules...haphazard parking is a big issue these days and unfortunately cops dont have much power other then fining(petty amount)

As "Partho" mentioned penalizing heavily is the best option we have today and also double the police force...


Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Today I saw a traffic police guy neatly doing his duty and posting the fine notice on the few MERU taxis and some personal cars which are parked infront of the Reliance fresh ( next to staples and infront of Innovative Multiplex) in Outer Ring road. He did not speak to any of the Taxi wallahs and what I felt he refused to take money from the guys who parked their cars there. I liked this cop and the way he carried his work .... There is always a problem in the road with vehicles parked on both sides of the service road.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:06   #508
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Today I saw a traffic police guy neatly doing his duty
Saar its year end saar. They have to show some official figures saar.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:50   #509
BHPian
 
Malikayil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 79
Thanked: 4 Times
Default "patience" is not in the dictionary of Bangalore

I have driven in all the cities like HYD, Chennai, Coimbatore, Kochi, TVM & Bangalore. But I have never come across such STUPID driving any where else except Bangalore.

Imagine the mirrors of a car stopped at the signal for over 30 sec's was cracked by a motorcyclist who wants to squeeze to the front and a scooter hitting and damaging the rear / side of the car which is waiting at the signal.

These guys ride as if they care nothing & in this traffic the poor car guy cant even get out to see the damage . . . honking starts on to irritate the entire nature.
Malikayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:27   #510
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikayil View Post
I have driven in all the cities like HYD, Chennai, Coimbatore, Kochi, TVM & Bangalore. But I have never come across such STUPID driving any where else except Bangalore.

Imagine the mirrors of a car stopped at the signal for over 30 sec's was cracked by a motorcyclist who wants to squeeze to the front and a scooter hitting and damaging the rear / side of the car which is waiting at the signal.

These guys ride as if they care nothing & in this traffic the poor car guy cant even get out to see the damage . . . honking starts on to irritate the entire nature.
Kindly let us know,since how long are you living in Bengaluru. Your location shows kochi?

We consider all the above cities to have insane sense of traffic and driving.

Dont make flying remarks at the city just for the sake of it. Everybody is well equipped with words for any cities for that matter

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd March 2009 at 16:44.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2003 5th September 2017 20:03
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks