Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:51   #6031
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,528
Thanked: 8,456 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
And yes, I have taken up shift work. So I leave early, around 6 AM, and start back home around 4 PM.
Been harping on this fact for a long time. Today these are the only set of timings which can provide some respite. Reach office before it builds up and reach home again before it builds.

I had started on this schedule, when I was a novice driver to learn driving when there are less vehicles on the road. Today after 10 years, I still follow this schedule. This is the only schedule which lends some sanity to the start of your day. It also is very effective, because you can get lots of effective time in hand.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:22   #6032
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 420
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Been harping on this fact for a long time. Today these are the only set of timings which can provide some respite. Reach office before it builds up and reach home again before it builds.

I had started on this schedule, when I was a novice driver to learn driving when there are less vehicles on the road. Today after 10 years, I still follow this schedule. This is the only schedule which lends some sanity to the start of your day. It also is very effective, because you can get lots of effective time in hand.
I think this is the best time to follow in Bangalore.

I have been doing this timing for the last 7 Years now, when I shifted to Whitefield Office.

I leave home at 06:15 AM from Gottigere, Bannerghatta Road and reach office in Whitefield at around 7 AM.

Returning, I leave at around 03:30 PM and reach home at 04:45 PM. But the thing is I have to work from home regularly because of this timing.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:31   #6033
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,528
Thanked: 8,456 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I leave home at 06:15 AM from Gottigere, Bannerghatta Road and reach office in Whitefield at around 7 AM.

Returning, I leave at around 03:30 PM and reach home at 04:45 PM. But the thing is I have to work from home regularly because of this timing.
I follow something similar too and have been doing it for more than 10 years. As regards to work from home, yes that is some thing which we cannot avoid. Some price to be paid I guess. But its still better there to be at home than fretting it out in the traffic. Another point I have noted that is that thunderstorms and rains, also tend leave office along with us in the evening. If it has to rain, it invariably rains beyond 5! Leaving early and reaching before it begins to rains also helps.

PS: I do understand its easier said than done for many.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2014 at 08:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:31   #6034
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Heres an evil Innova whom I encountered at 0830 today.
Run by CISCO. Piloted by a Maniac who loves to yak yak on his phone all the time while weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. He overtook me under the AGARA flyover by squeezing very harshly into the right lane against oncoming traffic because he wanted to be the first to make the right turn onto the lake road.
Then he did some daredevilry in order to be the first at the traffic light to turn left onto the Jakkasandra road.
Second time Im encountering this miserable lout.
Anyone here from CISCO please have this guy sacked summarily.
If you look, you will see that the sticker on the rear side which invites people to call and advise about rash driving, has the telephone number obscured by the rear wiper.
CISCO Systems are supposedly a first class company - but they seem to have different standards in India compared to their other locations!
This evil Innova is a positive danger on the road!
Attached Images
 
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 02:35   #6035
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,012
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
What a drive was it yesterday evening! Thanks to our BBMP, all roads were flooded.

Of that a lady driver driving i10 Grand (Red), rolls back, hits my car and drives on. She was not even concerned if her vehicle had any damaged. All this in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I had maintained enough distance and she still managed to roll back and hit. And road was slightly inclined upwards.

No amount of honking bothered her.

By the time I got off my car, she zoomed off and other vehicles filled the gap. Hence I could not get hold of her. Donno what I would have done if I had really got hold of her.

Vehicle number, KA 01 MF 4089
I guess this happens often with novice drivers allowed to drive on the roads with just a L sign displayed.

As for your car, the bumpers are designed to cushion and absorb such impacts which are at low speeds. You can be assured that there wouldn't really be damage to your car under such situations. Personally, i wouldn't even bother to get out of the car to check in such instances.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 03:45   #6036
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 522
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I guess this happens often with novice drivers allowed to drive on the roads with just a L sign displayed.

As for your car, the bumpers are designed to cushion and absorb such impacts which are at low speeds. You can be assured that there wouldn't really be damage to your car under such situations. Personally, i wouldn't even bother to get out of the car to check in such instances.
I don't remember seeing L sigh though. If it was there, I will keep extra distance. Be it male or female drivers.

Yeah, I checked for any visible damage on my car and luckily there were none.
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 09:20   #6037
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,926
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I don't remember seeing L sigh though. If it was there, I will keep extra distance. Be it male or female drivers.

Yeah, I checked for any visible damage on my car and luckily there were none.
I have fixed a bull bar in my santro. This can come in handy in situations you have faced.
Of course in the event of a head on collision at high speeds, this will be a deterrent as the impact will be taken by the bull bar - chassis while it should be the bumper that should bear the impact.
suresh_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 11:22   #6038
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,768
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

With the BBMP's Tender S.U.R.E work happening on all major arterial roads in the CBD, traffic is proving to be a nightmare at the turn from Rest House road to St. Mark's Road and the right turn to proceed towards MG Road. The distance from Bishop Cotton Boys' school to MG Road takes about 20 mins in the evenings and the distance from Church Street-Rest House Road intersection to UB City takes 15-20 mins in the morning! Add some impatient drivers to the mix who jump the lane in an attempt to get ahead and you have chaos.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 12:09   #6039
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 766 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Heres an evil Innova whom I encountered at 0830 today.
Run by CISCO. Piloted by a Maniac who loves to yak yak on his phone all the time while weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. He overtook me under the AGARA flyover by squeezing very harshly into the right lane against oncoming traffic because he wanted to be the first to make the right turn onto the lake road.
Then he did some daredevilry in order to be the first at the traffic light to turn left onto the Jakkasandra road.
Second time Im encountering this miserable lout.
Anyone here from CISCO please have this guy sacked summarily.
If you look, you will see that the sticker on the rear side which invites people to call and advise about rash driving, has the telephone number obscured by the rear wiper.
CISCO Systems are supposedly a first class company - but they seem to have different standards in India compared to their other locations!
This evil Innova is a positive danger on the road!
The photo doesnt look that menacing ! (just in case if the guy asks for proof). Will report the matter.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 12:54   #6040
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,946
Thanked: 1,410 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This chap had caused a traffic hold up on Wind Tunnel Road for a few minutes this morning.

https://plus.google.com/112929706764...ts/6Niu5gYKLHv
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:05   #6041
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,609
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The photo doesnt look that menacing ! (just in case if the guy asks for proof). Will report the matter.
Even Jack the Ripper looks innocent in photo
The description given in Shankar's post is good enough to nail him, he cannot deny it...
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:12   #6042
BHPian
 
Mr_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 838
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Heres an evil Innova whom I encountered at 0830 today.
You just echoed my thoughts, I have spotted this innova many times near the Jakkasandra signal (opposite Aishwarya supermarket), moron always on the phone, not following any lane discipline (too much to ask ). He will bite the dust one day or the other. Another signal (one near Hyundai showroom) when heading towards Agara, I always take rite to HSR, but I am always under pressure from behind to break the signal, never budged!!!
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 14:05   #6043
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 106
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Heres an evil Innova whom I encountered at 0830 today.
Run by CISCO. Piloted by a Maniac who loves to yak yak on his phone all the time while weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. He overtook me under the AGARA flyover by squeezing very harshly into the right lane against oncoming traffic because he wanted to be the first to make the right turn onto the lake road.
Then he did some daredevilry in order to be the first at the traffic light to turn left onto the Jakkasandra road.
Second time Im encountering this miserable lout.
Anyone here from CISCO please have this guy sacked summarily.
If you look, you will see that the sticker on the rear side which invites people to call and advise about rash driving, has the telephone number obscured by the rear wiper.
CISCO Systems are supposedly a first class company - but they seem to have different standards in India compared to their other locations!
This evil Innova is a positive danger on the road!
I think Fauji sir can help sort this chap out in Cisco. You can PM him.
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 19:30   #6044
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,468
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Heres an evil Innova whom I encountered at 0830 today.
Run by CISCO. Piloted by a Maniac who loves to yak yak on his phone all the time while weaving dangerously in and out of traffic. He overtook me under the AGARA flyover by squeezing very harshly into the right lane against oncoming traffic because he wanted to be the first to make the right turn onto the lake road.

CISCO Systems are supposedly a first class company - but they seem to have different standards in India compared to their other locations!
This evil Innova is a positive danger on the road!
Shankar,

Great catch!! I have brought this up with our transport team who have suspended the driver immediately. Your report has been confirmed by other employees who travel in the cab.
Fauji is offline   (30) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:21   #6045
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,926
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Shankar,

Great catch!! I have brought this up with our transport team who have suspended the driver immediately. Your report has been confirmed by other employees who travel in the cab.
Kudos to you and Mr Shankar,

I think employees too can make a difference in easing the traffic situation in this congested city by bringing to notice errant drivers who violate rules blatantly. Agreed the roads are not large enough to handle the vehicle density, but if some driving discipline is followed in terms of proper lane driving, avoid speaking on the mobile while driving, haphazard overtaking etc , to some extent we can expect smooth flow of vehicles.

I too bring to notice of ITPL management about rash driving of the chartered BMTC buses.

You have taken the lead thereby paving the way for others to follow suit. Let us join hands in improving our NAMMA BENGALURU.

Good job done by both of you.
suresh_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2017 15th October 2017 00:58
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks