Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 16:26   #6676
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
For the past few days, this signal wasn't working. Thankfully it is back on and also saw a cop posted there. Not sure for how many days. It will surely go back to only me stopping at that signal
Aaaand, as I expected, I don't see a cop anymore at that signal. People don't bother stopping at this signal again. Just speed off. Again, I stopped. I was shouted at again today - by a load-auto driver. I didn't budge. He swerved around me and moved off. Somebody should give me an award!

If you want to know the signal - here is the original post explaining where it is - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3434161 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 16:27   #6677
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
This remains me of an incident during last year in Old Airport Road. I and few fellow drivers were booked for No Parking in front of Cloudnine hospital as we were entering the hospital one after the other. Even I was photographed with me sitting in the driver seat and driving the car. Later I found the reason for this weird behavior from the hospital management that some VVIP gave an earful to the traffic police for not keeping the traffic moving while he was passing that area.
Sorry I don't have any sympathy for you or the hospital management.Cloud nine and this branch in particular is notorious for this. This facility has very few parking slots and parking is possible only if some one exits the premises. So the queue gets backed up on to busy main road blocking the traffic.
One is coming up in my area as well with no parking at all. I wonder who give permission to such hospitals.

Last edited by poloman : 24th September 2014 at 16:31.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 16:39   #6678
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 3,285 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Sorry I don't have any sympathy for you or the hospital management.Cloud nine and this branch in particular is notorious for this. This facility has very few parking slots and parking is possible only if some one exits the premises.


The entry to parking (and not illegal parking as such) at both Cloud nine and Total mall located opposite is the single most reason for the mess at this area. On Saturday's apart from these two, there is an HDFC bank towards Manipal hospital where people park on footpaths creating a jam.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 18:28   #6679
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Cloud nine [...] has very few parking slots and parking is possible only if some one exits the premises. So the queue gets backed up on to busy main road blocking the traffic.

I wonder who give permission to such hospitals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The entry to parking (and not illegal parking as such) at both Cloud nine and Total mall located opposite is the single most reason for the mess at this area. On Saturday's apart from these two, there is an HDFC bank towards Manipal hospital where people park on footpaths creating a jam.
I don't understand how you can fault Cloud Nine for this. Is there any regulation that says an N-bed hospital must have K parking slots where N & K are related someway?

In my view, at all these three locations the fault lies with the drivers who don't listen to the security guy that parking is full, and you need to move on. People simply stay there, waiting for cars to come out at the other end - so that they can go in. There is ample parking in the vicinity (on the carriageway towards the city, there is the Wind Tunnel Road which has kerbside parking, and on the carriageway towards airport, there are many bylanes towards JB Nagar). But of course, people are loathe to park even a couple of hundred metres away from their final destination - impossible to walk. :-)
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 18:45   #6680
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't understand how you can fault Cloud Nine for this. Is there any regulation that says an N-bed hospital must have K parking slots where N & K are related someway?

In my view, at all these three locations the fault lies with the drivers who don't listen to the security guy that parking is full, and you need to move on. People simply stay there, waiting for cars to come out at the other end - so that they can go in. There is ample parking in the vicinity (on the carriageway towards the city, there is the Wind Tunnel Road which has kerbside parking, and on the carriageway towards airport, there are many bylanes towards JB Nagar). But of course, people are loathe to park even a couple of hundred metres away from their final destination - impossible to walk. :-)
I hope you were being sarcastic or joking. Come on man, we are talking about a hospital here not a mall or an eatery, where people rush in for emergencies or may need to stay for extended hours. Are you suggesting people in such conditions or frame of mind should run around searching for vacant parking slots in adjacent bylanes. Imagine what would happen if big hospitals like Manipal start thinking on same lines.
I have stayed in this area and to get a parking lot in the places you mentioned is really tough.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 18:51   #6681
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,964
Thanked: 1,424 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I hope you were being sarcastic or joking. Come on man, we are talking about a hospital here not a mall or an eatery, where people rush in for emergencies or may need to stay for extended hours.
I wasn't. Most hospitals have separate, dedicated parking for doctors and for in-patients. The chaos here is caused by visitors of patients.

Cloud Nine also offers valet parking, which people are reluctant to take (takes time for the valet to bring the car back).
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:13   #6682
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,814
Thanked: 4,756 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Took me 2 hours to reach home from Whitefield this evening.
Started from office at 5:15pm, took the Devasandra route which was fine till I reached the Hanging bridge around 5:40pm. From there it was crawling traffic till the ORR up ramp (it was completely jammed) and this stretch took more than an hour Luckily I did not have to take ORR and just continued straight towards Indiranagar. And even more luckily I had a friend for company to talk to.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:34   #6683
BHPian
 
kousik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
... till I reached the Hanging bridge around 5:40pm. From there it was crawling traffic till the ORR up ramp (it was completely jammed) and this stretch took more than an hour
My wife came from the other side of ORR and she reported an accident (happened sometime ~5) on the other lane (KR Puram -> Horamavu) involving a Fortuner and a sedan (damaged badly). That must have caused the jam you suffered from.
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:37   #6684
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,221
Thanked: 1,168 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Horrible traffic in the Whitefield area today. Took me an hour and half to reach home from ORR, Doddanakundi.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 23:13   #6685
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,138
Thanked: 676 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Horrible traffic in the Whitefield area today. Took me an hour and half to reach home from ORR, Doddanakundi.
Incessant rains and water logging on roads? It seems areas like Whitefield and Hoody got around 30-40cm of rains in an hour .
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 23:36   #6686
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,582
Thanked: 2,767 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I, for a change had a great time on the road taking out the car today! Early morning drive was a breeze, probably due to Mahalaya Amavasya and thus lesser traffic on the road.

It was raining all evening at Elec City, now thanks to the car I reached home nice and dry
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 08:05   #6687
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,814
Thanked: 4,756 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
It seems areas like Whitefield and Hoody got around 30-40cm of rains in an hour
Guess you meant mm not cm - that's the kind of rain a place can receive in months
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 10:50   #6688
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Sorry I don't have any sympathy for you or the hospital management.
I want to draw your attention that we were booked for NO Parking while entering the premises. The entering is slow not because we were waiting for valet parking, it was because the gate is small and can only allow one car to pass either way. Also most of the public/private buildings is built near the brim of the road and hardly gives any space to negotiate the entry/exit. Secondly it was not the usual practice to book slow entry into a building for NO parking, the traffic police were dancing to whim and fancies of some VIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I wasn't. Most hospitals have separate, dedicated parking for doctors and for in-patients. The chaos here is caused by visitors of patients.

Cloud Nine also offers valet parking, which people are reluctant to take (takes time for the valet to bring the car back).
Yes, I was taking valet parking always and I agree when the influx of vehicles are large, they dont have the holding area and it spills over to the road. It is not just the visitors, out patients also needs to be considered. And this being a maternity hospital, it is difficult to handle patients when the parking is not nearby. The valet parking comes in handy considering these situations.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 11:15   #6689
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,940
Thanked: 1,619 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Luckily I did not have to take ORR and just continued straight towards Indiranagar.
I started around 430pm. I work at Itpl. Had a clear road though I take the much longer route to Krpuram, via kadugodi, old madras road highway. The highway run was scary. Rain drops felt like they were pricking my hands so I had to reduce speed. I was on a motorcycle and duck backed.

I did notice the slow movement of traffic leading to the ORR bridge as I was coming down the krpuram hanging bridge. I thought it was water logging at the other end of the ORR bridge. As I was continuing on old madras road, moving towards the left lane from the krpuram bridge was slow. Traffic moved well after this point. Managed to get home in 50min which is not bad considering the heavy downpour.

Yesterdays down pour was bad. I don't think we had it so heavy during the monsoon season.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th September 2014 at 11:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 19:21   #6690
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Good news for folks who use Old Madras Rd. Here is a plan to do short term improvements to the stretch from Gurdwara, Ulsoor to KR Puram station. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxjd...pli=1&sle=true

Not sure if and when it will be taken up but I'm glad to see that there is some scientific methodology being used to speed things up. Cheers!!!
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2028 6th December 2017 15:32
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks