Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 10:25   #6781
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,984
Thanked: 3,408 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this on Facebook, this is really a new low for BTP
What was this about? Couldnt make out much from the visuals alone.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 11:43   #6782
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,505
Thanked: 3,522 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What was this about? Couldnt make out much from the visuals alone.
from what i could make out (and i don't understand Kannada very well), the incident happened on Saturday in Indiranagar. something about the person getting beaten up not wearing helmet or something and the police constable taking matters into his own hands.

can somebody help translate the incident in the video?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 12:13   #6783
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 781 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this on Facebook, this is really a new low for BTP
More than police, it shows the pathetic state of citizens of this country. First they break the rule. Instead of paying fine, they argue. Yes, BTP shouldn't have lost their mind. They must have asked the person to challenge the fine in court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What was this about? Couldnt make out much from the visuals alone.
A man was caught for not wearing helmet. Around this time, 2 folks passed by without helmets. The argument was why those 2 were not caught and why him.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 13:03   #6784
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,509
Thanked: 1,655 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
can somebody help translate the incident in the video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A man was caught for not wearing helmet. Around this time, 2 folks passed by without helmets. The argument was why those 2 were not caught and why him.
Even I didn't understand the matter.

Where was the bike ?
Was the cop pushing the guy inside the auto, or dragging him out of the auto ?
Was the helmetless biker running away from the cops in an auto, abandoning his bike ?

Must be quite silly to abandon the bike and run away from cops, for a mild offence (as per Indian standards) like riding without helmet !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 13th October 2014 at 13:05.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 16:22   #6785
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,642
Thanked: 3,172 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

^^ Sad to see that police has to commandeer ( don't see that auto later in the video) a passing auto for taking this person to station. And this is the situation in a metro.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 16:39   #6786
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 256
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

How many of you have noticed and think that BMTC drivers are equally responsible to traffic woes in City of Speed-breakers ?

I guess most of you have not yet apprehended their modus operandi !

First of all I must appreciate their professionalism in ensuring to stop on the very right side of the road and allowing passengers to on / off board the vehicle, this will definitely ensure that all vehicles which were behind this Bus are still behind and has no place to maneuver an overtake attempt, well you know Honking is not Good and doesn't serve any purpose with BMTC Folks on the wheel.

Second what is in it for the BMTC driver in completing this maneuver ? That's the tricky part. This maneuvers are normally attempted in stretches which doesn't have many intersections and thus stopping all vehicles behind the Bus will ensure a traffic free stretch for some distance for the BMTC Bus. Kudos to the thought process!

Moral of the story: Leave your Personal Vehicle at home and travel by BMTC as it is not only going to create less pollution but will also ensure to you remaining SANE !
soumobakshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 18:31   #6787
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
A man was caught for not wearing helmet. Around this time, 2 folks passed by without helmets. The argument was why those 2 were not caught and why him.
These are all silly tricks people play. A pick pocket would say, arrest/pick up all thieves. Thieves would say, arrest all dacoits before touching them. Dacoits would say catch murderers first. This is where the police also should clearly tell they decide who would get caught and who would not, for what ever reason. This fellow has been caught (tough luck!!), now he can contest the case in court if he wishes so. But he cannot decide what a police man should do or should NOT do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
Sad to see that police has to commandeer ( don't see that auto later in the video) a passing auto for taking this person to station. And this is the situation in a metro.
BTP generally do not have vehicles moving around to catch traffic law violators. The next possibility would be to summon the Hoysala patrol vehicles. But they have their own routine patrols and may be operating on a different wireless channel. So best bet is to commandeer the nearest available vehicle . But I feel overall police response times in Bangalore are a bit on the higher side.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 18:32   #6788
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,070
Thanked: 4,337 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this on Facebook, this is really a new low for BTP
That was unnecessary on the part of the cop. He went mad at that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What was this about? Couldnt make out much from the visuals alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Was the cop pushing the guy inside the auto, or dragging him out of the auto ?
Was the helmetless biker running away from the cops in an auto, abandoning his bike ?
l
The police says "Dont you have shame, How dare you attack a cop? What do you think of cops?"

Not sure what happened before this, but yes that constable looks p***ed off for some reason. Guess the guy argued too much. But if what he says is true and the offender tried to abuse the inspector physically, then it will definitely hurt their ego and since its legally wrong also, they have a strong case.

Last edited by audioholic : 13th October 2014 at 18:34.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 21:55   #6789
BHPian
 
F2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tirupur/B'lore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Lots of traffic on the elevated expressway. Took more than half an hour to reach Silk Board from Electronic City. I don't know why we pay money and get stuck in traffic.

Have you guys noticed, when there is a long jam on the flyover, it actually vibrates/oscillates? Initially I used to think it's the car but then I stopped the car and still I could get the feeling (like earthquake) once in a while.
F2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 07:43   #6790
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This is where the police also should clearly tell they decide who would get caught and who would not, for what ever reason. This fellow has been caught (tough luck!!), now he can contest the case in court if he wishes so.
I'm not a lawyer, but you'll find that the view you express here is untenable if you were to ask one. The Constitution of India guarantees equality before law (Art. 14); which is directly violated by the scenario you outline above. If it goes to court and if this chap were to make that argument (with evidence) it is quite likely that the court will rule in his favour and take the cops to task.

It is a different thing if the cops were stopping everyone without helmet and two bikers escaped because of sheer volume. Then the cops were treating everyone fairly within their constraints.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 08:23   #6791
BHPian
 
370Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
Have you guys noticed, when there is a long jam on the flyover, it actually vibrates/oscillates? Initially I used to think it's the car but then I stopped the car and still I could get the feeling (like earthquake) once in a while.

Yes, I've observed this in many flyovers (Sarjapura, Agara, HSR etc) when there's huge traffic (stop-and-go type) on them. I guess it's normal.
370Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 09:38   #6792
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
Yes, I've observed this in many flyovers (Sarjapura, Agara, HSR etc) when there's huge traffic (stop-and-go type) on them. I guess it's normal.
That explains the reason why army soldiers are not supposed to walk in unison while crossing a bridge but break the rhythm. The frequency of vibrations due to marching should not exceed the natural frequency of the bridge. If it exceeds the condition is known as RESONANCE which can lead to collapse of bridge.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 10:00   #6793
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 1,274 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The frequency of vibrations due to marching should not exceed the natural frequency of the bridge. If it exceeds the condition is known as RESONANCE which can lead to collapse of bridge.
Exceeding is fine. It shouldn't match the natural frequency. That is when things start to get a little wild.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 10:12   #6794
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
It is a different thing if the cops were stopping everyone without helmet and two bikers escaped because of sheer volume. Then the cops were treating everyone fairly within their constraints.
This is what I meant. I mean no one can say that a police officer should only stop him/her AFTER the said police officer has done n number of things before that. In countries like US there are strict guide lines on "probable cause" etc., which deals with stopping vehicles. India does not have such well laid down guide lines. In Bangalore the Com.Pol had given some directives on this, but that again is very much subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005
Have you guys noticed, when there is a long jam on the flyover, it actually vibrates/oscillates? Initially I used to think it's the car but then I stopped the car and still I could get the feeling (like earthquake) once in a while.
I remember reading this long time back. This was when the fly over on Richmond Circle was built. They had some signals on the fly over itself. And soon vehicles started piling up on the fly over. And some engineering expert stated that it is a big risk. It seems these bridges can withstand large volume of moving traffic, but cannot with stand too many vehicles just standing on the fly over.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 10:50   #6795
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 572
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but you'll find that the view you express here is untenable if you were to ask one. The Constitution of India guarantees equality before law (Art. 14); which is directly violated by the scenario you outline above. If it goes to court and if this chap were to make that argument (with evidence) it is quite likely that the court will rule in his favour and take the cops to task.

It is a different thing if the cops were stopping everyone without helmet and two bikers escaped because of sheer volume. Then the cops were treating everyone fairly within their constraints.
Cops cannot be blamed for not catching all the culprits. Equality cannot be used for escaping from a penalty for an offence or as an excuse, if he has violated a rule he is bound to face the consequence irrespective of anything. Also he can be booked for not allowing or disrupting the cops from doing their duty. But it should end there, not like this.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th October 2014 at 10:54.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2003 5th September 2017 20:03
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks