Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 15:08   #6991
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 65
Thanked: 30 Times
Unhappy Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
As a solution, they should introduce multi storeyed parking to complete eradicate such problem.
I agree that the solution is multi storeyed parking but, that should be done by the companies running the business here.
Koramangala was designed as a residential layout. I am amazed which civic body has permitted these many commercial offices to run shop here when they barely have space to park. I mean go to any of these office buildings opposite Wipro park, they hardly have space for parking 10-20 cars and their staff numbers in hundreds, if not more. Even if 30% to 40% come by car, that's it. We have parking problem. The cars are also then parked on the other side of the park as well as on the road leading towards Brigade apartments.
In short, if the government wants to control this, all they need to do is cancel the licences of premises where available parking is less than the sold capacity.
But, then this may mean lesser funding for your next election .
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:01   #6992
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,753
Thanked: 4,591 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Bangalore North MP, also our Union Railway Minister visited K R Puram couple days ago and has given some hope for improvements to help ease traffic - underpass to connect K R Puram to Whitefield side, a foot-over bridge, road widening (subject to railway board agreeing to part with the land housing their staff quarters near the K R Puram Railway station).

Quote:
BENGALURU: Railway Minister D V Sadananda Gowda on Sunday visited the K R Puram cable-stayed bridge, and spoke to people there to understand the traffic bottlenecks in the area.

He promised to get the work on the railway underpass between K R Puram and Whitefield completed within two months.

After Gowda inspected the K R Puram foot overbridge, former MLA Nandish Reddy sought his permission to connect the KR Puram station’s foot-bridge to the skywalk. The minister said he would consider the proposal and announced that another skywalk would be built near the railway station to help pedestrians.
...
Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 3 Nov 2014 - Link to Full Article

Last edited by NPV : 5th November 2014 at 10:02.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:51   #6993
BHPian
 
Rajeev1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore North MP, also our Union Railway Minister visited K R Puram couple days ago and has given some hope for improvements to help ease traffic....

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 3 Nov 2014 - Link to Full Article

Going by the pace of construction of other infra projects (built by government agencies) in Bangalore - I would not be too hopeful :-( ... Maybe there is a wee bit of hope for the next generation!



Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Rajeev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 10:57   #6994
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 667 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Koramangala was designed as a residential layout. I am amazed which civic body has permitted these many commercial offices to run shop here when they barely have space to park.
Before we blame the politicians (and BBMP) we need to blame the great Koramangala residents first. I may become unpopular by saying this. Koramangala was a residential layout, with only selected areas to have shopping establishments. When the IT boom etc started, the very residents of Koramangala started renting out their premises to business establishments. Building designs were totally changed so that business establishments could be run there. Why did the great residents do this? To earn some quick money by the side.

Three to four year backs the great civic champions in Koramangala launched a campaign against BBMP saying that they should reduce all the problems like illegal parking in the area. BBMP folks informed the "residents" that as the first step they would pull out all approved plans for each house out there and demolish illegally constructed buildings or part of it. The "residents" tucked their tail behind their legs and ran for cover .
sachinpk is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 12:04   #6995
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 309
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Finally, the Nagawara flyover is open for traffic from both ends.
satan's_valet is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 10:42   #6996
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 757
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I think have good tarmac is a solution to many of the traffic problems. Bad roads create the movement of vehicles to slow down thereby causing long queues of vehicles.
I mean it might not be a significant percentage but then every little thing counts.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 10:44   #6997
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,753
Thanked: 4,591 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Heard from a friend few minutes ago:
There is a huge traffic pile up on Kaggadaspura Main Road from the BMTC Bus stand near DRDO complex all the way till DARE office. My friend was stuck there for 50 minutes and decided to head back to take some alternate route.

EDIT:I think it was a broken down bus that caused the traffic jam.

Last edited by NPV : 6th November 2014 at 10:59.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 10:51   #6998
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 667 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Heard from a friend few minutes ago:
There is a huge traffic pile up on Kaggadaspura Main Road from the BMTC Bus stand near DRDO complex all the way till DARE office.
This so called "Main Road" is actually a very narrow road, with buildings and houses on both sides. Kaggadaspura is another area which cropped up all of a sudden, with no one getting a chance to plan any thing. The roads cannot be widened up now.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:03   #6999
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 65
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Kaggadaspura's curse is again the "famous" KR Puram. Traffic from CV Raman Nagar and Indira Nagar, avoid KR Puram and Old Airport Road via this poor "main road". If the main roads on both sides (KR Puram and Old Airport Road) are managed better a lot of traffic will automatically get re routed. At least, I think so.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:11   #7000
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,553
Thanked: 774 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Before we blame the politicians (and BBMP) we need to blame the great Koramangala residents first. I may become unpopular by saying this. Koramangala was a residential layout, with only selected areas to have shopping establishments. When the IT boom etc started, the very residents of Koramangala started renting out their premises to business establishments. Building designs were totally changed so that business establishments could be run there. Why did the great residents do this? To earn some quick money by the side.

Three to four year backs the great civic champions in Koramangala launched a campaign against BBMP saying that they should reduce all the problems like illegal parking in the area. BBMP folks informed the "residents" that as the first step they would pull out all approved plans for each house out there and demolish illegally constructed buildings or part of it. The "residents" tucked their tail behind their legs and ran for cover .
The problem starts with BBMP though with collusion from residents. Any time a new building has to be built, the plan submitted for the sanction is different. This plan is according to the rules. Still you need to pay bribe for this to get approved, Why? Because both sides know that actual building will be different from this. The cut in this goes to everyone, officials and elected representatives.
So everyone is to blame.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:18   #7001
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 667 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The problem starts with BBMP though with collusion from residents. Any time a new building has to be built, the plan submitted for the sanction is different. This plan is according to the rules. Still you need to pay bribe for this to get approved, Why? Because both sides know that actual building will be different from this. The cut in this goes to everyone, officials and elected representatives.
So everyone is to blame.
I do take your point, BBMP cannot escape from the blame. But here it was the residents who took the initiative to change the plans and get the BBMP approve it (by bribe or what ever inducements). What got my goose was these same Koramangala residents trying to twist the story and blame BBMP and the common people alone for their miseries. If Koramangala residents were not greedy, they could have retained their home grounds as a residential layout and lived happily. Well they wanted some easy money, and did nasty tricks which has now come to bite them. Homes have got converted to PGs, clinics, restaurants and even small-scale IT firms.

Koramangala's sad plight should be a show-case model for the rest of the city. How greed messes up even a perfectly normal residential area.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:48   #7002
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I think have good tarmac is a solution to many of the traffic problems. Bad roads create the movement of vehicles to slow down thereby causing long queues of vehicles.
I mean it might not be a significant percentage but then every little thing counts.
True. There are many free left turns and vehicles negotiate at snail's pace, since they are busy negotiating broken roads. So the traffic piles up for couple of hundred meters behind. Case in point being free left turn at Kundanahalli Junction towards Graphite, coming from Marathhalli bridge.

Another bottle neck is poorly designed traffic merges. For instance, traffic from Marathhalli bridge merges with ORR at innovative multiplex. There is a bustop here and also a U-turn for buses at this merge. So in the mornings, the traffic backups till ISRO.

Another is merge of traffic from Sarjapur road with ORR at Iblur. Sometimes traffic backups till Agara flyover.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 11:58   #7003
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Koramangala's sad plight should be a show-case model for the rest of the city. How greed messes up even a perfectly normal residential area.
I see such transformation in Jayanagar too (particularly 4th block). Most of the beautiful independent houses constructed during 80s and 90s in the inner cross roads are either demolished or transformed into commercial establishments. The house in which we were staying for rent in late 90s is now demolished and a small scale nursing home stands tall at that place. The once well planned and peaceful Jayanagar is no longer the same. The only saving grace is that all these inner roads are wide enough so there are not much traffic gridlocks.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 12:24   #7004
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I see such transformation in Jayanagar too (particularly 4th block).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Koramangala was a residential layout, with only selected areas to have shopping establishments.
AECS layout, Kundalahalli has also become a commercial place now. It has changed drastically in the past 2 years and is too crowded.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 12:30   #7005
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 667 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A trend I notice (from a few posts above) is that Bengaluru's mess is mainly because of unplanned commercialisation. Residential areas like Jaya Nagar became commercial hubs overnight. Huge apartment buildings cropped up all across the city, when no one had plans for supplying water or for taking away the waste. The city and its residents would suffer for quite a long time because of the short-sighted vision.

PS: I don't want to start a regional fight or show case any people in a negative light. But Bengaluru has a reputation that this is a place where any thing and every thing can be bought for money. There is a price for every thing, and if that is given any law/rule/tradition etc. are pushed to a side. This may also be a reason where many folks found the place to be industry friendly. The state should actively start developing Tier II cities.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2020 23rd November 2017 13:33
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks