Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 23:28   #7096
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Say what, why don't we people organise a drive across the city showing the others how systematic driving would be? I guess that if a group of cars come together and drive sensibly, following all the rules and not cut lanes, at least people will get to know what it is to drive well.

Whenever I go out, I make it a point to stay within a straight lane, leave way for people crossing the road, and zero tolerance for people coming on the wrong side. Most of the cases, one idiot cuts the lane and ten vehicles follow. Hence, we could organise a Sunday drive and show these idiots how civilised people should drive. We can focus on lane discipline, giving way to people at zebra crossings, maintaining distance and so on.

At least, I believe other personal cars will learn a thing or two if not the useless auto drivers or cabbies. Even two wheeler riders can create an example on the road by wearing safety gear, and mainly not zipping across lanes. That will show what TBhp is since most of the guys who have approached me on the road ask if its some racing team
No doubt a good initiative that will be welcomed by one and all. But in reality i dont foresee proper lane driving by the commuters courtesy the cabbies and sense of urgency to reach destination (by flouting rules) courtesy the pathetic road condition.
This is not only showing in city driving but also on the highways especially at toll plazas where the super intelligent commuters form their own line.
suresh_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 00:06   #7097
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 4,221 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
No doubt a good initiative that will be welcomed by one and all. But in reality i dont foresee proper lane driving by the commuters courtesy the cabbies and sense of urgency to reach destination (by flouting rules) courtesy the pathetic road condition.
This is not only showing in city driving but also on the highways especially at toll plazas where the super intelligent commuters form their own line.
Agree with your view. Achieving an ideal traffic situation is impossible, say we cant ensure such practices in narrow roads etc. Also, cabbies cannot be taught driving manners. I wanted to target personal vehicles, most of which try to mimic the antics of cabbies. Like today, there was a queue of vehicles, and I was on my scoot. I just stood behind the last car. A biker came and stood behind me. There comes another hero who cuts the queue, and the guy behind me follows him. In a similar case, if I had a couple of bikers with me who were following a line, a person would be more ashamed to break the line. Of course for the extreme people, there's always the law. But for people who aren't aware of rules, or try to follow the wrong people, such examples can be corrected.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 00:19   #7098
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Agree with your view. Achieving an ideal traffic situation is impossible, say we cant ensure such practices in narrow roads etc. Also, cabbies cannot be taught driving manners. I wanted to target personal vehicles, most of which try to mimic the antics of cabbies. Like today, there was a queue of vehicles, and I was on my scoot. I just stood behind the last car. A biker came and stood behind me. There comes another hero who cuts the queue, and the guy behind me follows him. In a similar case, if I had a couple of bikers with me who were following a line, a person would be more ashamed to break the line. Of course for the extreme people, there's always the law. But for people who aren't aware of rules, or try to follow the wrong people, such examples can be corrected.
The situation in bangalore is such that even a sane person who respects and follows road rules will become completely insane after seeing the mess in the city.

1. If you stop the car to allow the pedestrians to cross, either some one behind you will honk persistently or overtake your car from behind putting the pedestrians lives at risk.
2. In a traffic signal if you maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of you, within minutes this gap will be filled by moronic 2 wheelers.
3. While taking a left or right turn assuming you prefer to take a larger turn, invariably some moronic driver will squeeze in the gap provide by you thereby putting you in a spot of bother.
4. While driving if someone in front of you jams the brakes suddenly and you do the same and avoid rear ending his/her vehicle, you could still be in trouble as the moron coming behind you will be literally tailgating you.
5. Say you are waiting in a signal and the countdown starts from 10 seconds. People behind you will honk like mad urging you to take off even before the signal turns green.

These are some of the points that come to my mind. if you wish to add some more that would be great.
suresh_gs is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 12:46   #7099
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
...
5. Say you are waiting in a signal and the countdown starts from 10 seconds. People behind you will honk like mad urging you to take off even before the signal turns green.
There is some logic behind this, actually. While I wouldn't honk or pressurise the person in front, I have found that about 25% of the population will begin to consider moving after the signal goes green. So, it will be about 10-15 seconds after the signal goes green that they might actually start moving.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 16th November 2014 at 12:48. Reason: grammar
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 14:32   #7100
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
There is some logic behind this, actually.
The honking also nudges the smart citizens to come out of their smartphone worlds.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 17:08   #7101
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,948
Thanked: 9,261 Times
Default

Well it is also an indication to those countless Spendors and Discover 125s to:
-Slide their helmet down
-Keep that cellphone in the pocket
-Twist that key from OFF to Ignition Positon
-Lift their right leg to kick start
(Oh no,he still wont start . Check next step)
-Turn his head around to stare at those who were honking at him
-One Kick,Fail,Two Kicks,Start......
-Twist the throttle 3 times
-Engage the clutch
-Engage first gear
-Bye Bye (see you again at the next signal)
You - Already finished listening to half a song and the light turns Amber!!!
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 17:31   #7102
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 4,221 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well it is also an indication to those countless Spendors and Discover 125s to:
-Slide their helmet down
-Keep that cellphone in the pocket
-Twist that key from OFF to Ignition Positon
-Lift their right leg to kick start
(Oh no,he still wont start . Check next step)
-Turn his head around to stare at those who were honking at him
-One Kick,Fail,Two Kicks,Start......
-Twist the throttle 3 times
-Engage the clutch
-Engage first gear
-Bye Bye (see you again at the next signal)
You - Already finished listening to half a song and the light turns Amber!!!

:lol

I thought of getting an ABS plastic nudge guard fitted in front of my car. Play games with me and get bulldozed off the road

Some smart people keep engine running for around 40secs, then decide they should save fuel. The signal goes green within a few more seconds. I do understand the situation since I use the two wheeler too, but I make it a point to start 15-20 seconds before the signal turns green, or if I am way behind the traffic then I fire the engine when the light goes green. This will let the engine idle for a bit before I gun it. End of the day, people lack awareness. That's the main problem of all.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 18:55   #7103
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 3,152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yesterday at HSR layout on 17th cross there were cars parked randomly all along the road causing slow moving traffic. Then in front of MishMash restaurant is this guy, parked the tractor blocking half carriageway.

Not sure what is the reason for the same since he could have parked the vehicle parallel to the road and filled water, guess it is to avoid blocking the restaurant entry.

Bad roads is part of the issue, stupid drivers like this is another. Anyways, have posted the same on BTP public eye.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20141116wa0011.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 22:51   #7104
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yesterday at HSR layout on 17th cross there were cars parked randomly all along the road causing slow moving traffic. Then in front of MishMash restaurant is this guy, parked the tractor blocking half carriageway.
That reminds me of something I saw on Old Airport Road at Marathahalli yesterday. An Ape was parked on the eastbound carriageway, close to the divider, blocking the entire lane. People were unloading stuff from it and taking them across the street to a store on the opposite side - big items; stuff that needed multiple people to carry. Result? Chaos on both carriageways. And all this because the Ape guy couldn't be bothered to go a few metres ahead till the gap in the median and take a U-turn.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 06:47   #7105
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 4,661 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
An Ape was parked
That describes both the vehicle and driver perfectly.
arunphilip is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 09:09   #7106
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 328
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Cant agree with you more on this!!! This is the exact same same issues I face all day every day when I drive in Bangalore.
I would also like to add overtaking from the left, too close to the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
1. If you stop the car to allow the pedestrians to cross, either some one behind you will honk persistently or overtake your car from behind putting the pedestrians lives at risk.
We have a habit of not stopping the vehicle for pedestrians. Also, I feel those speed breakers double up as zebra crossings in Bangalore. The administration has kept a speed breaker whereever a zebra crossing is required. It is so difficult to cross the road at Marthahalli ORR during evenings. Whenever certain drivers see a pedestrian, they gun for the throttle to get past!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
2. In a traffic signal if you maintain sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of you, within minutes this gap will be filled by moronic 2 wheelers.
Yes, and all they time they come up from the left! And they are not bothered if they cause a scratch or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
3. While taking a left or right turn assuming you prefer to take a larger turn, invariably some moronic driver will squeeze in the gap provide by you thereby putting you in a spot of bother.
I prefer taking a larger turn when taking U turns as it helps me complete tit in a single go. But then, even with the blinkers on, I see those morons squeezing in as if they do not care for their lives at all. Once a biker almost fell into the gutter when he attempted to overtake me at a left turn. Yes, I had my blinkers on.
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 11:08   #7107
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Not sure if you tried the Panathur route that joins Kaadubeesanahalli. Basically you take the rear gate exit from Adarsh/RMZ Ecoworld and proceed left and continue behind Cisco until you hit Panathur main road. This road is also equally choked at times, but much better than going till Sarjapur road junction.
I have tried this route. I take as a last resort. This comes with its share of problems. The road inside the premises gets worst and outside is like an SUV test track. I drive a Vento which has good road clearance but then its still a sedan and I have had my shares of underbody scrapes. Anyway life would be simpler if I could just come out of the gate of Ecoworld and take a right under controlled traffic and go towards Marathahalli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I guess there are many decent drivers like you in Bangalore, going by the aberrations you've pointed out. There are far too many of that clan in Hyderabad. When I first shifted to this city, I used to get exasperated by such errant driving. But I've gradually got acclimatised to it.

As the age old saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do'.
I lived in Hyderabad and then I shifted to Bangalore. I learnt that in Hyderabad whatever your chassis weight you should always stop halfway while making a u-turn or any turn which will obstruct the oncoming traffic. You must to this fearlessly and without any expression. The people who curse you are the crazy. You have conquered all in this world and have the right of way but you still stop halfway to make sure that you din this in the head of others ignoramuses coming down the road.

When I shifted to Bangalore I realised following rules makes you stand out. Its like being a bright red colored animal in a land of zebras. So if you want to tackle this , play the game of errant cabbies with them. One thing is they can't stand you , second thing is you blend in with the crowd and become another zebra.

An amusing incident was that once in a lot of traffic after lots of people overtook me from the left I followed suit. I overtook a two wheeler riding gent from the left blatantly and then had to slow down. He was cross since I had done exactly what he did to me. Guess what he had to say ," Man you are crazy. You are driving like a two wheeler." Of course I had nothing to say but smiled and then he realised what he had done on a two wheeler and he was not immune to getting something back.

Last edited by theMAG : 17th November 2014 at 20:34. Reason: Back-back posts under 20 mins. Please Edit moving forward.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 19:47   #7108
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,650 Times
Default

Found this in BTP Facebook Page.

Name:  IMG_10210400543026.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  27.3 KB
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 20:30   #7109
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,594
Thanked: 4,294 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes the median gap in front of prestige's gate 2 is open again for U Turns today. Seems like the experiment to close it failed miserably. The concrete blocks were stacked up on the median today.
Back to experimentation time again for our traffic cops. The gap in the median in front of Prestige Shantiniketan gate 2 was blocked around 4pm so saw folks turning right at next signal towards EPIP and then making a U turn to head back in opposite direction to go towards Hoodi.

Every day is different and has surprises for White fielders
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 08:48   #7110
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Broken heavy truck on the right lane near ISRO junction (karthick nagar). Expect traffic jam on marthahalli to karthick nagar side if the truck is not removed.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 1988 22nd August 2017 16:19
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks