Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 10:31   #8746
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 752
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So the latest attempt to solve the Ecospace mess has been implemented.

Been discussed before, but to summarize, a new u turn has been opened up before belandur jn from ecospace service road.
The median has been removed and both the bus lanes now take traffic towards marathahalli.
The merge with the ring road at the end of the flyover has been adjusted so that both the lanes can merge onto the main orr towards marathahalli without creating too much of a funnel effect.

Same thing has been done under the Intel flyover to enable vehicles coming from silk board side to turn into the Ecospace service road without reaching the junction itself.
Looks like you come in very early seeing the lack of traffic in the pictures you have shared. I came in at 8-30 and the traffic under the Bellandur flyover and the Intel flyover was very less and fast moving. The bottleneck before Ecospace which is the narrow bridge where enthusiastic folk go speedily from the left side only to realise that there is a narrow bridge. The size of vehicle going from the left and then goofily moving right can range from a biker to a full 50 seater bus.
Anyway the new arrangment will be stress tested today evening I think.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:16   #8747
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 7,885 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Looks like you come in very early seeing the lack of traffic in the pictures you have shared. I came in at 8-30 and the traffic under the Bellandur flyover and the Intel flyover was very less and fast moving. The bottleneck before Ecospace which is the narrow bridge where enthusiastic folk go speedily from the left side only to realise that there is a narrow bridge. The size of vehicle going from the left and then goofily moving right can range from a biker to a full 50 seater bus.
Anyway the new arrangment will be stress tested today evening I think.
This was exactly at 8.30am today. I just happened to click when the opening was clear as I was walking to the bus stop
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:57   #8748
BHPian
 
eethanhunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Huge pile up opposite to Bagmane Tech Park - Total Mall Signal.
eethanhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 14:04   #8749
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This was exactly at 8.30am today. I just happened to click when the opening was clear as I was walking to the bus stop
Hopefully, this arrangement is one way and they dont let vehicles from Adarsh/Honeywell to get into this road in the evening. This will stop the vehicles getting into the service road when coming from Marthahalli.

They should have done one single flyover between Bellandur and Intel. With the current setup, the road has been divided into 6 lanes per side. Think about the junction, there are as much of 12 directions for the vehicle to pass through. Result - Complete Chaos
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 15:12   #8750
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 752
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Hopefully, this arrangement is one way and they dont let vehicles from Adarsh/Honeywell to get into this road in the evening. This will stop the vehicles getting into the service road when coming from Marthahalli.

They should have done one single flyover between Bellandur and Intel. With the current setup, the road has been divided into 6 lanes per side. Think about the junction, there are as much of 12 directions for the vehicle to pass through. Result - Complete Chaos
The vehicles from Adarsh/Honeywell if going towards Maratahalli have to go towards Ecospace -Bellandur flyover , take a turn and then head back to Maratahalli. At times it is ridiculous because the exit of this Ecoworld Techpark is only about 50 mtrs from junction under the bridge. But seeing the inflow of traffic there is no way these vehicles can go to that junction under the flyover. They are forced to take the longer route.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 15:37   #8751
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
The vehicles from Adarsh/Honeywell if going towards Maratahalli have to go towards Ecospace -Bellandur flyover , take a turn and then head back to Maratahalli. At times it is ridiculous because the exit of this Ecoworld Techpark is only about 50 mtrs from junction under the bridge. But seeing the inflow of traffic there is no way these vehicles can go to that junction under the flyover. They are forced to take the longer route.
I guess, there werent much choice for the BTP. They are trying hard to have a smooth flow. But parkings in the road, ppl coming against the traffic, security guards stopping the vehicles coming on service road for ecospace vehicles to come out is causing the bottleneck.
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 18:31   #8752
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 560100
Posts: 59
Thanked: 26 Times
Unhappy Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hosa road junction is choked again. I did not see the hosa signal working, which could be a reason. One km through Hosa service road took around 20 mins today also. Thats twice in a week
Fortunately, this time I was not the first car in the convoy going in the opposite direction towards EC.
john.gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 23:00   #8753
Senior - BHPian
 
ashwin.terminat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 1,279 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

A gist of how difficult it is for our people to follow instructions as simple as where to park a car and where to park a bike.

And of course, the routine White Line and Zebra Crossing skippers.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-tbhp1.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 23:54   #8754
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,925
Thanked: 1,151 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
A gist of how difficult it is for our people to follow instructions as simple as where to park a car and where to park a bike.

And of course, the routine White Line and Zebra Crossing skippers.
In fact in HSR layout I have seen people park their cars diagonally. If the vehicle happens to be a SUV or sedan, this results in some traffic jam as the parked vehicles create an obstacle for the ongoing vehicles who are then forced to go on the opposite lane, thereby obstructing the flow of incoming vehicles.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 10:58   #8755
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In fact in HSR layout I have seen people park their cars diagonally. If the vehicle happens to be a SUV or sedan, this results in some traffic jam as the parked vehicles create an obstacle for the ongoing vehicles who are then forced to go on the opposite lane, thereby obstructing the flow of incoming vehicles.
It's so difficult to back out the car after parking, especially during peak hours due to diagonal parking! We should have marked spots and vehicles not in the border should be penalized. I have also seen 2 wheelers parked in 4 wheeler areas thereby reducing the 4-wheeler spots further - at times one bike is parked in such a way that car cannot be parked next to it wasting parking space.
Driving, parking, yielding - each and every aspect of car owning experience is a chore and we have years to go before the mentality changes.

On a separate note - I was watching a documentary today (Discovery channel) on Tokyo's Shinjuku station and inspite of busy and crowded and the crowd backing even onto the stairs/bridge, people were patiently waiting in line. Cannot even think about such tolerance and patience here :(

Last edited by JD1 : 9th August 2015 at 10:59.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 11:46   #8756
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,866
Thanked: 9,575 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post

On a separate note - I was watching a documentary today (Discovery channel) on Tokyo's Shinjuku station and inspite of busy and crowded and the crowd backing even onto the stairs/bridge, people were patiently waiting in line. Cannot even think about such tolerance and patience here :(
i spent a pleasurable week in Taipei. People queue patiently for everything. Even at a pedestrian crossing. People will form a queue. Special markings in place to ensure people queue

Fines are heavy. No seat belt at the back means Rs 9000 fine

Yesterday, the cops were clamping down heavily on people who had wrongly parked on St Marks Road. Sadly the food businesses around there are losing business, However, people need to embarce change
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 10:56   #8757
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 752
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
i spent a pleasurable week in Taipei. People queue patiently for everything. Even at a pedestrian crossing. People will form a queue. Special markings in place to ensure people queue
On my first ever foreign visit in 2005 when I went to Singapore , I was so shocked seeing the lane discipline when I took the taxi from Changi to go to my hotel. It was mind boggling to see truckers obediently keeping left in their lanes , cars not zigzagging on the open road just because there was plenty of space and of course the complete absence of two wheelers trying to overtake you from the left inspite of an empty road on your right.
I saw a long queue of cars at an exit. The reason that the car right at the front had broken down and the poor man was pushing it to one side. All the people waited patiently for him to move the car and did not scare the daylights out of him by zipping past him given that there was space enough for a whole bus to pass next to him. People just waited for the man to move his vehicle to one side. It was just amazing. Back in India the man might have died of fright , shame and then people's curses flying thick at him.

To reach that level of discipline in India it might take a good 50 more years I think or even more.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 10th August 2015 at 10:59.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 11:55   #8758
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,925
Thanked: 1,151 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
On my first ever foreign visit in 2005 when I went to Singapore , I was so shocked seeing the lane discipline when I took the taxi from Changi to go to my hotel. It was mind boggling to see truckers obediently keeping left in their lanes , cars not zigzagging on the open road just because there was plenty of space and of course the complete absence of two wheelers trying to overtake you from the left inspite of an empty road on your right.
I saw a long queue of cars at an exit. The reason that the car right at the front had broken down and the poor man was pushing it to one side. All the people waited patiently for him to move the car and did not scare the daylights out of him by zipping past him given that there was space enough for a whole bus to pass next to him. People just waited for the man to move his vehicle to one side. It was just amazing. Back in India the man might have died of fright , shame and then people's curses flying thick at him.

To reach that level of discipline in India it might take a good 50 more years I think or even more.
Mate, The same bunch of Indians when abroad will follow the traffic rules. Moment they get back home, it is back to square one. This clearly tells that it is basically the ATTITUDE problem and not the lack of road sense.
People do have road sense here. It is the attitude that counts.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:28   #8759
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,440
Thanked: 829 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, The same bunch of Indians when abroad will follow the traffic rules. Moment they get back home, it is back to square one.
Alternatively, bunch of non-Indians follow the rules in their country and float the rules in India. Maybe the system enforcing & maintaining the rules is the culprit here.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 13:05   #8760
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

It's all a combination - Poor infrastructure causing a lot of rage and slowing down the driving, then the poor enforcement of rules (for example I keep on seeing heavy vehicles in day time on Bangalore ORR even though they are banned and I don't see any cops stopping them), poor driving sense (especially of trucks, buses, cabs doing zigzag, driving in 2 lanes instead of keeping in single lane patiently and turning left from rightmost lane or taking right turn from leftmost lane; stopping buses in right lanes and not sticking to left lane for stoppage, cutting across/merging junctions at high speed without yielding to the traffic on main road ... the list will go on and on..).
I think once the first 2 things are sorted out (infrastructure and strict enforcement), things will get better wrt driving sense and attitude. And I second that many people abroad follow rules (be it driving or spitting on road) but when they are in India, everything goes out for a toss and they follow the remaining herd when it comes to breaking rules, spitting, throwing trash on road etc. Not all people do it, but there are many who behave like a different person when in India v/s when in abroad!

Today I started at 11am from HSR for ITPL hoping things will be better but it still took me 40 minutes to cross Ecospace flyover .. Not much advantage of trying to work staggered/second shift :(

-- end of rant --
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2017 15th October 2017 00:58
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks