Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 21:53   #9826
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Interesting. May be

1) Are you sure ? Thought WF was planning to build a big campus in Hyd ? They already have a big one so thought they wanted to consolidate at Hyd and not much in Bangalore.
2) Hyd is not a preferred city for folks from TN, Kerala. (please dont me)
3) Climate wise Bangalore was (to some extent is) better than Hyd and other cities.
4) Hyd suffered an image loss because of the agitation in the recent past (for splitting the state).
5) Bangalore eventually got a big talent pool of folks in all areas - especially operations; and the marketing during SM Krishna time helped.
6) Whereas at Hyd you find lot of smart techies (especially the ones with amazing mathematical and logical abilities) but not generally the ones on the operations, customer service types. So lot of back office jobs/companies focussed on Bangalore. Post Chandrababu Naidu era, Hyd did not focus much on IT marketing and lagged a bit too heavy on the infra. They eventually caught up and the roads and traffic are much better on the IT corridor
7) As a result of 2,4,5 Bangalore ended up choking heavy
1. I work in WF no more expansion in Hyderabad. They want to concentrate in Bangalore and Chennai now. The banks dont like to concentrate in one city for many reasons.

2. I moved to Bangalore for the same reason. My home town is Coimbatore and very near for me.

3. Agree.

The Telangana agitation did dent the image of Hyderabad. Sad!regarding talent pool, I agree. We were able to find employees for our team very easily in Bangalore and it took almost 4 months to get one in Hyderabad.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 22:29   #9827
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
What a joke!!! Look where Bengaluru is!!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/49757227.cms
This news article does not talk about the prevailing infrastructure and public transport options in Bangalore.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 23:19   #9828
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,053
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post

Wells Fargo is building a 10,000 seater in Embassy Tech village!! .
They already have a huge building in Bagmane constellation Tech park in Doddanekundi. Is this another one? I am surprised they would have two buildings in the such close proximity.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 06:19   #9829
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
They already have a huge building in Bagmane constellation Tech park in Doddanekundi. Is this another one? I am surprised they would have two buildings in the such close proximity.
They will vacate the Bagmane one once the new building is ready in Bellandur Embassy Tech village.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 08:47   #9830
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 148
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Alert: A BMTC Volvo has broke down on ORR in direction towards belandur from silkboard. It's on left most lane and exact location is Right opposite Agara Lake/ Mantri Da Sarovar/Agara Depo.

Shouldn't create much trouble as I anticipate light traffic because of holidays.
daretodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 08:57   #9831
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And lastly - Bangalore is the only destination for every Graduate emerging out of every college from Karnataka from every stream. There is no answer to Bangalore in KA.
To be awfully frank, Bangalore seems to be THE only destination for engineers from Kerala, Punjab, Delhi & even Mumbai, either after studies or for the studies itself. While I agree with most things that you've said I've found one thing missing in Bangaloreans - the kinship, or identifying oneself to the city. The people mostly separate Bangalore from their hometown or place of origin even if they spent well over a decade here, this is nowhere close to the amount of passion Mumbaikars or Delhiites have towards their respective cities even though they may not be natives.

Let my views not be mistaken for something it doesn't mean, what I mean to say is when people start to look at a city like a home, only then would they take better interest in treating it well - say obeying traffic laws, re-registering vehicles to the new state RTO in the interest of safety & accountability, not throwing garbage randomly, protesting & fighting for better governance, obtaining voter ID for bringing in the better of two evils etc. People do hesitate to call themselves Bangaloreans, whereas people from Mumbai & Delhi let the world know where they are from & proudly so. The government has failed us time & again, the only way for this city is when people stand up to atleast become more civil motorists, more law abiding & helpful only then we have some hope to be left.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th November 2015 at 09:04.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 09:39   #9832
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,691
Thanked: 3,252 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Alert: A BMTC Volvo has broke down on ORR in direction towards belandur from silkboar.
It was there yesterday night around 09.00 too. Considering its next to BMTC depot I would have hoped it to be repaired or towed by now.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 09:51   #9833
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 772 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Interesting. May be

1) Are you sure ? Thought WF was planning to build a big campus in Hyd ? They already have a big one so thought they wanted to consolidate at Hyd and not much in Bangalore.
2) Hyd is not a preferred city for folks from TN, Kerala. (please dont me)
3) Climate wise Bangalore was (to some extent is) better than Hyd and other cities.
4) Hyd suffered an image loss because of the agitation in the recent past (for splitting the state).
5) Bangalore eventually got a big talent pool of folks in all areas - especially operations; and the marketing during SM Krishna time helped.
6) Whereas at Hyd you find lot of smart techies (especially the ones with amazing mathematical and logical abilities) but not generally the ones on the operations, customer service types. So lot of back office jobs/companies focussed on Bangalore. Post Chandrababu Naidu era, Hyd did not focus much on IT marketing and lagged a bit too heavy on the infra. They eventually caught up and the roads and traffic are much better on the IT corridor
7) As a result of 2,4,5 Bangalore ended up choking heavy.
Some assumptions about smart techies !

Dont think Bengaluru did much of marketing. They didnt have to since education institutes and Industry have been here since the days of Vishweshwaraiah and the Wodeyars to provide the base. The leg up they have is very old. Even with all the bad name it has regarding infrastructure, it still has resources for all types and attracts them.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:17   #9834
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 666 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel
And the demand for Bengaluru as a destination does not seem to be low in spite of the issues. A lot of the folks I know do not prefer leaving bangalore in spite of being offered higher salaries in Chennai, hyd or Pune.
Agree with you here. But it also could be that many of the folks have become "captives" of the city. For example, kids have already started doing schooling here and got adjusted to the place. Their own parents have sunked huge sums of money for flats/apartments etc. And then the very simple reason - people are not very willing to change. This may be a controversial topic, but at least a refrain I hear from a few folks around me. Bangalore is more "cosmopolitan" and "hep place". And mind you these statements are coming from very ordinary folks, who spent the first 20 years of their life in Kerala villages, studied at the local or government schools out there. For these people Kerala is now a very boorish and backward place to be, while Bangalore with its "international school" etc. are not .

Quote:
add to the woes, lot of the real estate spaces are vacant because of no takers. So its a pressure situation for everyone !
Good to know that . From what I heard flats are now surplus in Bangalore. I.e supply is more than the demand. Many people may have bought this as an investment, and may be the bubble would burst soon and housing also would become affordable. But from what I know, there are crores of rupees which has sunked into the real estate. A crash is going to impact a large number of people as well.

Quote:
Hyd is not a preferred city for folks from TN, Kerala.
For Kerala folks commuting is a challenge. Trains take a very long route (TS->AP->TN->KL), and bus journey is also not an overnight one. May be people from southern districts of TN also would have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
Our cops make us happy by making Madiwala one way but fail to realise how messy things are when traffic passes through the city's biggest (apart from KR Market) market negotiating carts, 2 wheelers, tempos parked at their whims and fancies. Mind you, at 0650am, I checked that a mere 0.75 Kms stretch takes 6-8 minutes to cross.
The cops are the least to blame for Bangalore's mess today. Because they are never policy (or law) makers. They are just the executors. It is the whole political class, the BBMP etc. which has to take the blame. But Karnataka government's strategy sees to be "kill the goose which lays the golden eggs". I feel the idea is to get the maximum money out (from various sources), before the IT boom normalises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight
While I agree with most things that you've said I've found one thing missing in Bangaloreans - the kinship, or identifying oneself to the city.
You have a point here. I am also an out-sider to Bangalore, but still would have to agree with you here. To be frank, even today I have plans to go back to my mother-state. The other two cities - Mumbai and Delhi; have been cities for quite some time. And people at least 2-3 generations before us used to go there looking for career & better life. One thing we must also understand is that during those days, a job was pretty much a "job for life time". Especially if it is a government job. So for a Keralite going to Mumbai say in the 1970s, it was expected that a major part of his life would be spent in Mumbai. And at that time salaries were not high, transportation facility too was not very great. And all this kind of made him love his adopted city more. I know a few Keralites who made Bangalore their home, before the IT boom. They seem to have the same love towards the city, which people in Delhi or Mumbai have. It may be the IT which brought in this change; because transfers, "on site" etc. were very common in this field.

Last edited by noopster : 13th November 2015 at 16:18. Reason: 2-smiley rule! :)
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 10:51   #9835
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 1,152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Some assumptions about smart techies !

Dont think Bengaluru did much of marketing. They didnt have to since education institutes and Industry have been here since the days of Vishweshwaraiah and the Wodeyars to provide the base. The leg up they have is very old. Even with all the bad name it has regarding infrastructure, it still has resources for all types and attracts them.
Even TN has quite a number of well known educational institutions like IIT, CECRI, MIT, PSG, Annamalai University, Anna University.... The climate there is a major deterrent.
Having lived in Chennai before, I can say with confidence that AC would not be required during the months Sep-Feb. Of course fans will be needed. From Mar onwards till August, that is the testing time courtesy the scorching heat.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 14:46   #9836
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 410
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I have experienced twice what seems to be a horrible new way by which some vehicles vent out their excess frustration and lack of discipline in driving in b2b traffic conditions.

First time was at around 6:45pm after silk board, just before BETL, it is generally jammed there in super peak hours. Everyone on the right lane seems to want to go left and vice versa. I was on the 2nd from the right lane (out of the 7-8 lanes created there) and was about to go to the right most lane to get on BETL ramp. There was some sort of delay infront of me (a stalled car) which resulted me being stuck in between the two lanes (thus blocking traffic behind). Mr Tempo traveller behind could not wait and kept honking. When he thought honking wasnt enough he came and nudged my rear bumper as if that nudge would wake me up!

Second time, getting out of the service lane next to RMZ ecospace onto the main road. It was raining heavily and as I was turning right, there was a stalled bike trying to restart. I stopped and instead of honking started waiting for him to move ahead (as he was frantically trying to kickstart). My reward, a bolero pickup comes and nudges me, again the same way as above

I dont get it, what is this new way of showing your frustration! anyone faced any similar situation?
superutp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 15:27   #9837
BHPian
 
chakri400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I have experienced twice what seems to be a horrible new way by which some vehicles vent out their excess frustration and lack of discipline in driving in b2b traffic conditions.

First time was at around 6:45pm after silk board, just before BETL, it is generally jammed there in super peak hours. Everyone on the right lane seems to want to go left and vice versa. I was on the 2nd from the right lane (out of the 7-8 lanes created there) and was about to go to the right most lane to get on BETL ramp. There was some sort of delay infront of me (a stalled car) which resulted me being stuck in between the two lanes (thus blocking traffic behind). Mr Tempo traveller behind could not wait and kept honking. When he thought honking wasnt enough he came and nudged my rear bumper as if that nudge would wake me up!

Second time, getting out of the service lane next to RMZ ecospace onto the main road. It was raining heavily and as I was turning right, there was a stalled bike trying to restart. I stopped and instead of honking started waiting for him to move ahead (as he was frantically trying to kickstart). My reward, a bolero pickup comes and nudges me, again the same way as above

I dont get it, what is this new way of showing your frustration! anyone faced any similar situation?
Yes, I did. A stalled bike infront and almost hit from behind scenario recently at New Horizon College junction. From next time, your heart starts racing until the 'bike' in front of you gives you way for the fear of someone 'nudging' you from behind

I generally roll down my window quickly and request 2 minute patience with a hand gesture but sometimes it may be too late!
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 20:59   #9838
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Looks like BTP is planning to get strict-
(1) Pothole related accidents will see BBMP/BDA engineers being booked-
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49773380.cms

(2) Lorry mishaps will invite Traffic inspectors being booked-
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49773429.cms

Hope this is strictly enforced.
JD1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 21:08   #9839
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,219
Thanked: 4,861 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Looks like BTP is planning to get strict-
(1) Pothole related accidents will see BBMP/BDA engineers being booked-
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49773380.cms

(2) Lorry mishaps will invite Traffic inspectors being booked-
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49773429.cms

Hope this is strictly enforced.
We really have to appreciate the efforts of the traffic police and ideas of people like Mr. Saleem and his entire team. If not for some traffic reforms made in the last few months like the NGEF junction, Hoodi, etc the situation would have been unimaginable by now. Hope this makes things better.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 21:08   #9840
BHPian
 
sidzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 185
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I generally roll down my window quickly and request 2 minute patience with a hand gesture but sometimes it may be too late!
Well, it has been different for me. When i was a newbie for my car, i used to stall if every now and then. People of Bangalore had been very patient with me back then. Lucky me.
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2017 15th October 2017 00:58
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks