Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 22:08   #10756
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,007
Thanked: 9,441 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This distance I greatly increase when I have an Indica taxi behind me. Damned things never brake properly
And you maintain more distance behind that same Indica Taxi, for its brakelamps seldom function and even of they do, you would notice no such decelleration and all of a sudden the cab will just S-T-O-P.

I faced such a snarl today at 0515pm right on the Magic Box, Cauvery Theatre. A Hyundai Xcent Cab who had held a biker along with his own customer Ransom probably because the biker had brushed his car's side and there were arguments. The cabbie was on the phone totally ignoring the Jams he had cause.

The worst thing - Only a stone's throw away, there was an Traffic SI along with 2 constables manning the "Magic Ribbon Junction" as it was just about time when the delegates and other VVIPs would pass this after the Investment Summit at Palace Grounds.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 22:45   #10757
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 583
Thanked: 800 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This is what they did it in Chennai. A huge bus stand was built at Koyambedu which is a suburb of Chennai, and all long distance buses just asked one fine morning to operate from there. I guess it was Jayalalithaa who was the CM, and her orders were like cast in stone. Without a murmur all private bus operators complied.
Sachin, this is what I feel should be done. But I really doubt if our government would really do it It would seriously help ease the traffic to a larger extent though. Driving through madiwala during friday's and saturday's gives me jitters. All the private buses park haphazardly while people (dont want to generalize but most of them look educated) jay walk as if they own the road or drive in one ways to drop their family or friends or worse stand on the road and chit-chat. Oh how I wish we had a strong minded CM in our state as well.
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 07:00   #10758
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As if the daily hold up in front of ecospace was not enough, today there was this incident of a Punto driver rear ending an Amaze because the Zen in front of the Amaze had braked. Very foolish of the punto driver here trying to argue without accepting his fault. Some people get too close in bumper to bumper traffic and before they realise that the vehicle in front has braked, they would have hit the car ahead. I usually maintain enough gap that lets my car crawl ahead without me having to ride the brake or half clutch. Gives me enough time to come to a calm stop. This distance I greatly increase when I have an Indica taxi behind me. Damned things never brake properly
Four wheeler drivers have a mindset that they should maintain very close gap between theirs and the vehicle ahead of them. May be that is to deter the 2 wheelers from squeezing in between.
Nevertheless it is common sense that there should be sufficient gap between vehicles so that even in case of emergency braking, the chances of vehicles rear ending will be reduced to a great extent.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 07:12   #10759
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Sachin, this is what I feel should be done. But I really doubt if our government would really do it It would seriously help ease the traffic to a larger extent though. Driving through madiwala during friday's and saturday's gives me jitters. All the private buses park haphazardly while people (dont want to generalize but most of them look educated) jay walk as if they own the road or drive in one ways to drop their family or friends or worse stand on the road and chit-chat. Oh how I wish we had a strong minded CM in our state as well.
Its just not the private buses, but even the city corp buses who abuse the roads. Just have a look at the Tin factory area and you will be amazed at how these idiots drive. Who ever gave them driving licenses ? But yes, if only they could decide where the city ends, they can actually have bus stations set up with feeder services. The other thing that the TN CM did was to start mini city buses into areas where there was traffic congestion and therefore while providing for easier commute, reduced traffic jams. I stay in RT Nagar and the buses at Dinnur main road tend to scrape each other and cause so much of traffic congestion. But hey what the hell. Our state administration hides everything under the carpet just like what they did during the investor meet
subraiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 07:59   #10760
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,656 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As if the daily hold up in front of ecospace was not enough, today there was this incident of a Punto driver rear ending an Amaze because the Zen in front of the Amaze had braked. Very foolish of the punto driver here trying to argue without accepting his fault. Some people get too close in bumper to bumper traffic and before they realise that the vehicle in front has braked, they would have hit the car ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And you maintain more distance behind that same Indica Taxi, for its brakelamps seldom function and even of they do, you would notice no such decelleration and all of a sudden the cab will just S-T-O-P.
I have been one of those foolish guys who couldn't maintain the gap. Thankfully have never rear-ended or never been rear ended. but had panic braking situations many times !

The risk increases exponentially when one is on the downward slope of a flyover ramp ! The rolling force decreases the brake power. Nobody realizes this until its too close to the vehicle in front of you !!

I had many panic braking situations because I didn't realize that my car was rolling because of the slope.

These days when I am on a downward slope, I just put the car in Neutral or at max in 1st Gear.

The learning is - Never accelerate on a downward slope even if there is a huge gap, let that biker or auto squeeze through, but maintain a very good gap with the vehicle in front of you.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 08:19   #10761
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,074
Thanked: 4,351 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Our state administration hides everything under the carpet just like what they did during the investor meet
Thank god this did not happen as expected. Bigwigs like Narayan Murthy have highlighted the need for better infrastructure and making the city liveable which shows that the issues are pretty familiarised to the prospective investors. They can clean the filth, but the stench it creates takes a lot of time to go.

In other news, I now see that many newly laid roads are being dug up. Before it was by BWSSB, now it is by KPTCL. Unless someone takes this matter to serious levels, these people will continue such stupid stuff.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 09:14   #10762
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 296
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
These days when I am on a downward slope, I just put the car in Neutral or at max in 1st Gear.

The learning is - Never accelerate on a downward slope even if there is a huge gap, let that biker or auto squeeze through, but maintain a very good gap with the vehicle in front of you.
It is never safe to put your car in Neutral when you are on a downward slope. You will not be able to use the engine braking when required. Better put it in a low gear w.r.t the speeds you are traveling.
satan's_valet is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 09:36   #10763
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,515 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This should be a familiar site for folks from my city. The location is Sankey Road (Near Cauvery Theatre). For the uninformed, this contraption is supposed to be the solution to ease traffic flow. It is called the Magic Box. You sure need a lot of magic to get through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_1816.jpg  

sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 10:10   #10764
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,007
Thanked: 9,441 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It is called the Magic Box.
We all know the Magic that it creates today !

There is no short cut to development. Magic Boxes may have helped at few junction but have miserably failed at this place (Cauvery) that today even at 10:00pm, I see cops manning this with a Ribbon and manage traffic by temporary signalling!
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 13:06   #10765
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This should be a familiar site for folks from my city. The location is Sankey Road (Near Cauvery Theatre). For the uninformed, this contraption is supposed to be the solution to ease traffic flow. It is called the Magic Box. You sure need a lot of magic to get through it.
Many people call it the Tragic Box. Wonder which nincompoop ever came up with this idea, sold it to the Corporation, made money out of it and vanished!
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 14:24   #10766
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We all know the Magic that it creates today !

There is no short cut to development. Magic Boxes may have helped at few junction but have miserably failed at this place (Cauvery) that today even at 10:00pm, I see cops manning this with a Ribbon and manage traffic by temporary signalling!
The problem is not so much the box but the way the traffic flow is designed in that area. The problem is that 3 lanes of traffic merge into a single lane in the box. In addition the exit of the box is clogged due traffic. Sure fire recipe for a gridlock.

The traffic in the area outside the box is no better . It appears that the designer designed it for the traffic flows of the 90's and forgot about the possibility of growth.

Last edited by adnaps : 5th February 2016 at 14:27. Reason: Correction
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 14:31   #10767
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,007
Thanked: 9,441 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
The problem is not so much the box but the way the traffic flow is designed in that area. The problem is that 3 lanes of traffic merge into a single lane in the box. In addition the exit of the box is clogged due traffic. Sure fire recipe for a gridlock.

The traffic in the area outside the box is no better . It appears that the designer designed it for the traffic flows of the 90's and forgot about the possibility of growth.
Which essentially boils down to the Box, Unfortunately!!

These Magic boxes wherever they have been installed are of the same size, and at few locations there are 2 next to each other for 2 way traffic. That's all they can do.

These came up when KIAL started for a signal free corridor between HighGrounds and Hebbal. So can't say that the Authorities never had foresight into how things will be after 7 years.

Been driving on this road much before the Magic show.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 15:30   #10768
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,211
Thanked: 2,509 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Brigade road- MG Road junction.

Signal was green for my direction and I was the last vehicle in the direction. As soon I cross the line, the traffic from Kamaraj road took over making me think I broke the signal for a second.
Looked again at both the signals and it was working fine and was still a green for me.

No words.

tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 15:42   #10769
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KA53/UP80/DL7S
Posts: 93
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not exactly a rant but I saw very less number of Long Trailors and Trucks on the Whitefield road from Tin factory to Brigade Metropolis at around 1.30pm. This was a real surprise Praying for such investor meets everyday in Bangalore.
adi_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 16:18   #10770
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,840
Thanked: 3,103 Times
Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
......
Looked again at both the signals and it was working fine and was still a green for me.....
This is all too common nowadays, esp. horrible at signals if your side is green but has a gap, and another side has traffic backed up. People just barge in even when you have right of way, you get stared at and abused for daring to cross the signal when you have a right to do so.

"How dare you block me from exploiting a gap?".
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2003 5th September 2017 20:03
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks