Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 12:39   #1111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Oh man!! so sad to hear this Pervez. Hope your friend gets well soon. Bangalore streets are getting to dangerous.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 13:26   #1112
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,252
Thanked: 592 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
+1
I guess the same happens throughout our country!
Why don't the concerned parties park their vehicles by the road side & start arguing?
Though it is possible that if they do that, the offender may try to drive away...!
It doesn't, not all over the country. Seems it is common to the south? Heard and seen some incidents in Chennai & Kerala too.

And yes, the idea here is that the victim should be able to prove who the offender was, by the exact position of the vehicle. Public and police support :P

Doesn't always work, though. Case in point was when on my way in to Bangalore, on the outer ring road before Banaswadi (going towards KR Puram) a indica taxi was attempting to push me out of my lane by moving closer and closer from the left. I didn't budge, and he decided to drop back and come around my right as there was a slow moving rick in the left most lane ahead. Ended up cutting right too early and clipping my left rear just above the wheel well. Luckily it seems that part is reinforced in the Spark and not in the Indica, as he got a dent and I got a bit of his car's white paint transferred to mine. Came off with a good rub

Anyway, point was that if we had stopped after the bump, he would have been behind me, and could have said I was cutting left without looking. Can't be proved either way, I think. No point standing around slanging each other. Get on with it and let insurance cover any serious damage. This kind of traffic teaches one patience. I think that's a good thing

PS: Prince, all the best to your friend. Hope he makes a speedy, and as near-complete recovery as possible. There's a lot of sh*t going on on Bangalore's roads these days. Things at times are completely out of our control. A colleague in office got injured when he fell off his bike. Injuries were not bad, but reason he fell was he ran over another biker who fell when trying to avoid a stupid pedestrian who decided to commit suicide in front of him by jumping off the median. Biker fell off, & my colleague (right behind) couldn't help going over him. Poor guy, but Thank God it wasn't a car or a bus behind, aye?

Last edited by bblost : 9th November 2009 at 13:45. Reason: Foul language even if used indirectly is not permitted.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 16:34   #1113
BHPian
 
kittigadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Parvez,
wishing your friend a speedy recovery.
well, I have a bad experience to share that happened in Bangalore yesterday night after the 2nd show.

Some probable drunk retard in a lancer was tailgating my jeep at around 1:00 am in the night. He was dangerously close. Since my wife is along i didn't want to show any signs of displeasure. A few minutes earlier this guy was driving at snails pace. I flashed my lights and he gave way after a little zig zag dance on the road. Some 300 meters after we passed him, i told my wife that this guy must be drunk and i glanced at the rear view to see his lights fast approaching me. For a second i thought he would bang. For almost a mile, he was on my tail. I slowed down and he too slows down. I took a sudden turn into a small by lane and though he slowed a bit, he overshot the turn and took off after a small pause.

This kept me thinking all night. What would have happened if there were more than a few such drunk mongrels in the car and banged me from the rear. At around 1:00 am, there was no one on the road either. If i were alone, i had alternate plans to show my displeasure. But this lady thing in the vehicle suddenly made me think twice or rather made me weak... and probably wise too i guess.

since he was at my rear i couldn't notice his number either.
I lost my sleep because of this moron and he totally screwed up the rest of the night.

Anyone selling a gun in the classified here ?

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 16:50   #1114
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,124
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Krishna,

That was a scary experience especially since your wife was with you.
am sure that guy's intention was not right and i guess you made the right choice by taking that sharp turn.

And in this scenario i wonder what one can do

On a lighter note i think you should have looked for a slushy road(dirt track hehe


Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Parvez,
wishing your friend a speedy recovery.
well, I have a bad experience to share that happened in Bangalore yesterday night after the 2nd show.

Some probable drunk retard in a lancer was tailgating my jeep at around 1:00 am in the night. He was dangerously close. Since my wife is along i didn't want to show any signs of displeasure. A few minutes earlier this guy was driving at snails pace. I flashed my lights and he gave way after a little zig zag dance on the road. Some 300 meters after we passed him, i told my wife that this guy must be drunk and i glanced at the rear view to see his lights fast approaching me. For a second i thought he would bang. For almost a mile, he was on my tail. I slowed down and he too slows down. I took a sudden turn into a small by lane and though he slowed a bit, he overshot the turn and took off after a small pause.

This kept me thinking all night. What would have happened if there were more than a few such drunk mongrels in the car and banged me from the rear. At around 1:00 am, there was no one on the road either. If i were alone, i had alternate plans to show my displeasure. But this lady thing in the vehicle suddenly made me think twice or rather made me weak... and probably wise too i guess.

since he was at my rear i couldn't notice his number either.
I lost my sleep because of this moron and he totally screwed up the rest of the night.

Anyone selling a gun in the classified here ?

Regards,
Krishna.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 17:29   #1115
BHPian
 
kittigadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

well, i have one more question.
what would you do if you see 2 guys on a bike driving dangerously close to another innocently riding biker couple and suddenly the pillion starts splashing and spitting beer on them and shouts as if he had nothing to fear about. All the while, the the good guy is trying all sorts of maneuvers to avoid the bad guys and the bad guy is really good at pinning them to the left most side of the road almost a few inches from the footpath. The girl sits tight **** scared.


Quote:
On a lighter note i think you should have looked for a slushy road(dirt track hehe
Dear lohithrao,
The entry to that lane is indeed dug up recently and the filling is not done properly. The recent rains made it slushy and is quiet a challenge for a normal car to comeover without proper planning. This is where my jeep just flew and took the lancer by surprise.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 17:45   #1116
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
well, i have one more question.
For me.

In Bangalore. A silent prayer that the couple gets away and i ride/drive off home. I am not a localite and I have a life to live. I will probably feel like a coward for the rest of my life but i won't help the couple. The police here is too corrupted and the locals won't help even after knowing who is in the wrong. Over 5 years of living here and trying to help; the above lesson is a well learnt one.

Everyone is on their own in this city. Don't expect any help from anyone and move around accordingly.

In Goa. The drunks could have felt sorry they were born.

I am now a apna galli mein sher type of person. Translated - I am lion in my own streets and a coward elsewhere.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 17:50   #1117
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 555
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
well, i have one more question.
what would you do if you see 2 guys on a bike driving dangerously close to another innocently riding biker couple and suddenly the pillion starts splashing and spitting beer on them and shouts as if he had nothing to fear about. All the while, the the good guy is trying all sorts of maneuvers to avoid the bad guys and the bad guy is really good at pinning them to the left most side of the road almost a few inches from the footpath. The girl sits tight **** scared.
Haven't you played Road Rash?
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 17:59   #1118
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,551
Thanked: 6,306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
well, i have one more question.
what would you do if you see 2 guys on a bike driving dangerously close to another innocently riding biker couple and suddenly the pillion starts splashing and spitting beer on them and shouts as if he had nothing to fear about. All the while, the the good guy is trying all sorts of maneuvers to avoid the bad guys and the bad guy is really good at pinning them to the left most side of the road almost a few inches from the footpath. The girl sits tight **** scared.

Regards,
Krishna.
Well that depends on whether I am alone or with my wife.

If alone:
The answer is fairly simple. I get between the two bikes and start talking to the drunks.
As if I know them and have once been to some crap party with them.
Just that I dont remember their name. But what a night of fun it was.
Of course I am Raja's friend. The Raja who is a mechanic at some place nearby.
Why does it work. Because I have tried it once and it did.
The situation was different but the drunk idiots are all the same.

Based on my personal experience I have always felt that:
Nasty guys in Bangalore are nastier than the nasty guys elsewhere.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 18:19   #1119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Bangalore has one of the worst civic senses among its people and worst road manners too! I feel sad that I belong to this place. On the road, it is like warzone, everyone wants to cut the lane, jump the signal and go faster on road/on footpath or whereever they find some place never even bothering about their own life!

Yesterday I was on my way to office and at Kundalahalli signal I had stopped on the rightmost lane. People were standing near my car to cross the road to board the bus on the other side going towards Maratahalli. When the signal turned green as I started to move very slowly as peopler were still crossing the road, one Ritz guy went past me on the left hitting my passenger side mirror! This happered right at the middle of intersection and both of us are going straight towards Varthur! I normally do not shout, but definitly honked hard to show my displeasure at that guy! Suddenly I saw that guy gesturing fingers at me and showering some explitives! I kept on honking right behind him, which made his to slow down & stop after about 100 m. I shouted over to him that `sir there were people on the road crossing, watch before you overtake from the left'. I did this without getting down from the car and no vehicles were coming from behind. But this guy was in no mood to listen, he was saying I was 1 ft away from the divider... No sense in driving point home with this moron, so I thought & moved on!

I don't know what gets on to people - is it the status of owning a vehicle or stinking money they are earning that makes people behave like animals. Pathetic road sense, no sense of honor and even after making mistake wants to argue they are right & be abusive!

Btw - I am not 100% perfect on road, but I am sensible! I follow majority of traffic rules & drive defensively! Never jump signal, change lane without proper indication, never cut lanes to cross road, avoid crossing busy roads at inappropirate crosses & park on narrow roads etc. However I do not follow posted speed limits! do overtake from left , use honk if someone does not give me way on right lane! When irritated I also use expletives/shout within the confines of my car (not directing at people ofcourse) which lets some tension for sure!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 19:48   #1120
BHPian
 
akas_chauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 595
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
He was riding at 30 KMPH. Some vehicle brushed him. He lost his balance. Fell flat on the road with arms extended. Truck's rear wheel went on the back of his palm. He saw his palm stuck underneath, and the wheel did not go over it. It skidded along with the palm for some minor distance, braked and the wheel rolled behind.
No one helped. The side swiper was nowhere to be seen. The trucker did not stop (guess he did not know what happened). People did not care. Little help offered. Some good Samaritian came in and helped him get the bike aside, and took him to St. Johns.

The good Samaritian was illiterate and could hardly speak any english or Hindi. He did not take any money and was there till we came and left quitely w/o making a noise.

Damage: Bones behind his palm all broken and twisted, wrist bones cartilages etc dis located. Palm twisted in an angle best not described here. After multiple X-rays, the Plastic surgeon wanted an othopedic opinion as well. The surgery was going to be major, followed by observation, followed by physiohtherapy. Would it heal 100% ?
Docs say: Will try for 100% perfection but very very difficult.
The surgeon asked to touch each finger to the thumb and my friend could manage it quite well actually, nearly.

He came out of surgery in the morning at 3AM. Looked fine. Lets see.

So this is what life has become. Fast, modern. Dude is a BE Comp. Critical resource. Most important, the hand was his right hand. Hails from AP and no relatives here.

When Moses (peace be unto him) asked God Almighty:
What would you ask the most, God, if there was some other God over and above you.

God Replied: If there was someone above me (which there is none), I would ask for good health.

Was at the ER for over 5 hours, saw 2 emergencies which resulted in death. There was moaning, crying, emotions were so I high, that sometimes even the billing section lady would get up with mouth covered to see what the commotion is about. Not a nice place to be. I went to a place which I thought would lead to a toilet and saw something on a stretcher which was covered from head to toe. It was a corpse lying unclaimed. Damn that was spooky. Didn't feel like peeing all of a sudden.

Sorry mods for the long post. Did not intend to pen down so much but I guess my fingers did not stop.

I'm in bad mood after reading this. But this is how life is is guess. You are on your own always and we need to be careful.

Hope you friend recovers soon.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 21:54   #1121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore / Toronto, Canada
Posts: 154
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
I don't know what gets on to people - is it the status of owning a vehicle or stinking money they are earning that makes people behave like animals.
People behaving like animals - well said. The main difference between animals and homo sapiens is the latter have the sixth sense. One of the goals of education is to sharpen that. Our leadership doesn't have a sharp sixth sense to discern what's good for the Nation / region as a whole. Or their sixth sense is used in finding ways to amass even more wealth ILLEGALLY!
Result - not many rules of the law as needed for the hour (or the rules are too archaic.) Now the enforcement of whatever old law we've is at the hands of a group which, ironically, have a lot of criminals. All in all, we don't have great rules to begin with; even worse we've poor enforcement of whatever archaic rules we've. One straight example is the absence of lanes in many of the roads in Bangalore (at least that's what I last observed) and the road users' inability to understand what they are for. Nett result - people are on their own everywhere and on roads too.
Honestly, (I really mean that), we as a Nation are performing really well for the poor enforcement of the archaic laws. Thank you Almighty!
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 10:14   #1122
BHPian
 
KRRaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I had a bad experience today while riding to work. There is a small road which goes from 80 feet road to Suranjandas road which I take everyday. Today there was a guy with his wife in a Kinetic driving like a moron. Not stopping and very impatient sounding his horn non-stop. 2 girls in a scooty couldnt go over a speed breaker in that small road and everyone stopped behind them waiting for them to push and go. This guy right behind me sounding his horn non-stop even though he could see those girls struggling. Finally they move and he cuts me going behind them. I pass him again and then reach the road to take CV Raman Nagar.

The cops (or wardens) stop the traffic from my side and I am right at the front waiting for him to allow us. I had to take a left, and this moron again right behind me starts sounding his horn again. I look back and answer that the guy has stopped us and ask him to wait. He asked me to go and give him way, I refused and asked him why cant he wait for one minute. he comes close and looks at my Number plate and then starts threatening me. He literally said that I dont know where I am and then he somehow passes me and says that it is my good day that nothing has happened to me. He keeps up with his tirade and moves on. I follow his path and then take a right to my workplace. When I take a right, I spotted a Kinetic parked a bit further on the DRDO road and wondered whether he was actually waiting for me.

I wonder whether I had a providential escape from getting beaten up, all for following traffic rules.
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 13:21   #1123
BHPian
 
akas_chauhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 595
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I had a bad experience today while riding to work. There is a small road which goes from 80 feet road to Suranjandas road which I take everyday. Today there was a guy with his wife in a Kinetic driving like a moron. Not stopping and very impatient sounding his horn non-stop. 2 girls in a scooty couldnt go over a speed breaker in that small road and everyone stopped behind them waiting for them to push and go. This guy right behind me sounding his horn non-stop even though he could see those girls struggling. Finally they move and he cuts me going behind them. I pass him again and then reach the road to take CV Raman Nagar.

The cops (or wardens) stop the traffic from my side and I am right at the front waiting for him to allow us. I had to take a left, and this moron again right behind me starts sounding his horn again. I look back and answer that the guy has stopped us and ask him to wait. He asked me to go and give him way, I refused and asked him why cant he wait for one minute. he comes close and looks at my Number plate and then starts threatening me. He literally said that I dont know where I am and then he somehow passes me and says that it is my good day that nothing has happened to me. He keeps up with his tirade and moves on. I follow his path and then take a right to my workplace. When I take a right, I spotted a Kinetic parked a bit further on the DRDO road and wondered whether he was actually waiting for me.

I wonder whether I had a providential escape from getting beaten up, all for following traffic rules.
You will find lot of these kinds of Morons on roads. Sometimes you ignore them, sometimes you can not.

Forget that thing, it's parts and parcel of driving on Indian Roads now a days.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 12:40   #1124
BHPian
 
KishoreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Read through last couple of pages again. Hope pervez's friend is better now. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Going to a different track, I will try to share my experience in this city for last 3-4 years.

Drivers on Indian roads come in different flavors. The list goes like so.

1. New Vehicle, New Driver - We got used to them in Bangalore, with so many new drivers and new vehicles being added everyday. God knows why these people come out on the main roads with their cars before practicing well on the inner roads. A reason for traffic jams. Take pity and be patient for them as honking makes them even more nervous.

2. Slow Drivers -- These guys are OK as long as they keep on the left. They can keep driving on 20, and no one will bother them. I like them and don't blame them as long as they don't hold up the traffic.

3. Normal Driver -- This is a rare category. You find very few of them on the road as most of them stay off it if they can.

4. Rash Drivers with Private Vehicle -- Mostly I see these people with their modded cars. Black alloy and loud music, sometimes with xenon lamps, with lots of decals. All the mod is fine except, they need a lot more mod on their driving style. Sheer lack of consideration for anyone else makes them accident makers. Most of the time the "showing off" takes over their rational mind. I keep away from them.

5. Normal Two Wheelers -- Now this is a volatile category. People jump on this category and immediately jump off and go on the footpath. I wouldn't put anyone who drives on footpath/walkway in any part of the city in this category. Beware, you never know where they will go and what they'll do next.

6. Rash two wheelers -- They are everywhere and in majority. It would be hard to avoid them, but we need to try none the less. They've removed their mirrors, they've not bothered to repair the tail light, they've tuned their vehicle so low that engine dies very often in the middle of the road. They turn just in front of you, if you break hard they cannot do same behind you as they have not changed the break shoes. Most of the time they don't spend any money on servicing the vehicle. I'm fed up of this group as I tend to always get surprised by them. I get very happy when I see them stopped by traffic police for violation.

7. Commercial Vehicles -- Commercial vehicle drivers in the city are the most notorious of Indian drivers. Indica/Qualis/Sumo cabs, Autos, Water tankers, all of them are always very aggressive. They always break law and they definitely always try to make others break law. If you want to avoid anyone, avoid these guys. Let them go first without thinking twice.

Recently I'm noticing a disturbing trend in south Bangalore. I know that , it is a part of safe driving to detect and avoid the unsafe drivers. For this reason I always keep a lookout for bad drivers on the road.

In Bangalore, in last 2-3 months most of the bad/dangerous drivers I have detected had number plates in the group of KA 51/52/53. I guess these plates are given from a RTO in HSR layout. Not to point fingers to anyone, just narrating what I felt. No idea though, what could be the relation between rash driving and KA 51/52/53 number plates.

Last edited by KishoreC : 18th November 2009 at 12:42.
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 13:36   #1125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
In Bangalore, in last 2-3 months most of the bad/dangerous drivers I have detected had number plates in the group of KA 51/52/53. I guess these plates are given from a RTO in HSR layout. Not to point fingers to anyone, just narrating what I felt. No idea though, what could be the relation between rash driving and KA 51/52/53 number plates.
Some more number plates that I have noticed who can be added to the bad/dangerous drivers are KA 12/14/24/26/34/36/40/41/42.
I have seen these number plates mostly on magadi road, mysore road, vijayangar, rajajinagar areas.
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 1984 7th August 2017 16:23
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks