Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 12:10   #1426
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Are you being sarcastic? Or you really think that is the right thing to do?



Sorry, that was sarcasm. You didnt get it.
Respected Sir, I did get the sarcasm in you post.

But, let me just put things into perspective. I "ride" to work from Banashankari side to Whitefield daily in the morning at about 7.30-8AM. Traffic is at a minimum on the ORR and even the service lane at that point of time. When there is such minimal traffic, why should I get stuck in a traffic signal (which everyone is breaking anyways and I don't do that) and not take the service road. I am not inconveniencing anyone, and AFAIK I do not think I am breaking any rules either.

On my return journey at about 5PM, I am on the ORR all way stuck in slow moving traffic. Coz the service lanes are in full use at that hour.

I don't mean to get all offensive and aggressive, so lets just keep the tones that way!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:34   #1427
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Respected Sir, I did get the sarcasm in you post.
Phew.. ok.

Quote:
When there is such minimal traffic, why should I get stuck in a traffic signal and not take the service road. I am not inconveniencing anyone, and AFAIK I do not think I am breaking any rules either.
Hmm... So the traffic signals serve no purpose? They did build the service roads to avoid the signals right?

Did it occur to you why there are no traffic signals for the service roads which you take so conveniently?

Hint: Because there is supposed to be no traffic on them.

Another bit that intriguies be why not everyone take the service road ONLY instead of the main road. No one has to wait for the signals anymore then right? And no one is breaking rules as per your thought.

Quote:
(which everyone is breaking anyways and I don't do that)
I stop for a signal light on Old Airport Road at 11 PM in the night. And yesterday it was wet and I just had my helmet on.

Its my education and upbringing that makes me do it. Those who break signals probably werent as lucky as me.

Quote:
I don't mean to get all offensive and aggressive, so lets just keep the tones that way!
At any time if you think I am getting offensive, please report the post to the mods. I have no intention to do so(though a lot here think otherwise). Its just the way I post.

What gets me is the justification of a wrong due to which rule abidders like us have to suffer each day because everyone thinks its smart to use the service roads and avoid the main signalled roads.

And yes I am a Saint.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th April 2010 at 12:42.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:52   #1428
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 585
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

The Marathahalli mayhem was reversed, when I went by yesterday evening. I am sure the traffic cops at the junction got their rear kicked.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:16   #1429
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hmm... So the traffic signals serve no purpose? They did build the service roads to avoid the signals right?
Did I say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Did it occur to you why there are no traffic signals for the service roads which you take so conveniently?

Hint: Because there is supposed to be no traffic on them.
Is it a traffic offence to take the service lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Another bit that intriguies be why not everyone take the service road ONLY instead of the main road. No one has to wait for the signals anymore then right? And no one is breaking rules as per your thought.
I stop for a signal light on Old Airport Road at 11 PM in the night. And yesterday it was wet and I just had my helmet on.
Its my education and upbringing that makes me do it. Those who break signals probably werent as lucky as me.
You are twisting words way too much here. Did you not read, I do not want to break the traffic signals as that is putting others and myself at risk here. I don't know where this talk of education and upbringing is coming in, but its getting offensive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
At any time if you think I am getting offensive, please report the post to the mods. I have no intention to do so(though a lot here think otherwise). Its just the way I post.

What gets me is the justification of a wrong due to which rule abidders like us have to suffer each day because everyone thinks its smart to use the service roads and avoid the main signalled roads.

And yes I am a Saint.
What's the point of this discussion, you are hell bent on dissecting each and everything that I say and then twisting and turning it around. I maybe a noob around here, but I've been on forums long enough to know your type and where this discussion is headed. So I'm just stepping out of this.

You Sir are Right! And I am in the Wrong! There matter solved!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:35   #1430
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Did I say that?
You do that.

Quote:
Is it a traffic offence to take the service lane?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
but its getting offensive.
This was not meant for you at all. It was for the people who break rules.

Quote:
I maybe a noob around here, but I've been on forums long
enough to know your type and where this discussion is headed.
Whats with the type and why you getting personal? I have stuck to the topic throughout.

Taking Service lanes to avoid signals is wrong. Period.

Dont try and wrap this in a "my type" and "I am on lot of forums" to justify it. Whats the connection?

Quote:
So I'm just stepping out of this.
Hope you take the main road instead of the service lanes from no onwards.

Quote:
You Sir are Right! And I am in the Wrong! There matter solved!
Yeah I am right. Its commonsense. Doesnt need one to be a member of lot of forums to get that.

I dont know why people get agitated when being told that they are wrong. Accept your ignorance and avoid breaking rules from then on. Dont try and justify your wrong.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th April 2010 at 13:42.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 14:03   #1431
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

^^ Well, when on ORR around marthalli/sarjapur section and driving a bike, I also prefer to be on the service road as much as possible.
Reason: I feel really scary driving @ 45kmph on the ORR when everyone else is out there to break the world speed record.

I guess, in this process, I also break a few laws, but then I am ok with it. Atleast I am alive to type on and read tbhp

And, on to the topic of making Marthalli junction signal free. What is the alternate arrangement made by authorities? 2 U turns on the ORR! Isnt that just going to shift the traffic from top of the bridge to the 6 laned main road??
Oh and by the way, before they diverted all the traffic off from the bridge to the ORR what has been done to de-clog the narrow ramps that connect to ORR? I could still see vehicles private and public parked all along those narrow 1 lane ramps.

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 13th April 2010 at 14:05.
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 14:08   #1432
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
They should be lathicharged and the signal free junction should be implemented.
While I'm FOR the signal free junction, i'm totally against it coming as an after-thought. (Oops! i forgot about it while designing). Coz' when you don't consider these things during design, it will inconvenience a lot of people for no reason. What the hell were they thinking about the airport road - whitefield traffic when they built Tech Parks there?

Imagine, if one fine morning they wake up and say "Ooops, we need to re-open HAL Airport and expand it to double the size. Lets close airport road, demolish Manipal hospital...etc." The point is certain things can't be / should not be done as an after thought. It can break everything.
Whoever designed / built the airport road - domlur flyover was a moron. Coz' he thought airport road traffic doesn't need to go back and didn't put a loop in the flyover. The result? A highly user-friendly cop-designed U-turn system in front of Diamond District.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 15:05   #1433
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,471 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
The Marathahalli mayhem was reversed, when I went by yesterday evening. I am sure the traffic cops at the junction got their rear kicked.
This was not the first time this happened regarding the proposed signal-free Marathalli junction. Apparently, a day after this was mentioned in the TOI, the cops tried to enforce this on the following weekend. There was a revolt against this by the locals, and the proposal was rolled back. That explains the divider blocks strewn about the place.

Also, earlier the U turn in front of Maha Bazaar supermarket was closed once the Marathalli railway bridge was opened. Following yesterday's agitation, this was broken down, and a U turn provided here. Not sure if it was the locals who did this, or the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
And, on to the topic of making Marthalli junction signal free. What is the alternate arrangement made by authorities? 2 U turns on the ORR! Isnt that just going to shift the traffic from top of the bridge to the 6 laned main road??
Oh and by the way, before they diverted all the traffic off from the bridge to the ORR what has been done to de-clog the narrow ramps that connect to ORR? I could still see vehicles private and public parked all along those narrow 1 lane ramps.
The service lane in front of Krishna Vaibhava restaurant is always packed with cars parked along the road and people driving up the wrong side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
While I'm FOR the signal free junction, i'm totally against it coming as an after-thought. (Oops! i forgot about it while designing). Coz' when you don't consider these things during design, it will inconvenience a lot of people for no reason. What the hell were they thinking about the airport road - whitefield traffic when they built Tech Parks there?

Whoever designed / built the airport road - domlur flyover was a moron. Coz' he thought airport road traffic doesn't need to go back and didn't put a loop in the flyover. The result? A highly user-friendly cop-designed U-turn system in front of Diamond District.
That U-Turn is a gift of God for people who want to test the actual turning radius of their cars. One evening, i was driving around my brother's Palio and i had to take this U turn. Imagine how much i had to plan ahead to make it happen!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 15:40   #1434
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
That U-Turn is a gift of God for people who want to test the actual turning radius of their cars. One evening, i was driving around my brother's Palio and i had to take this U turn. Imagine how much i had to plan ahead to make it happen!
Move to advanced level. Imagine a Bolero!

The sad part is even after spending all that money, people still have to suffer for their stupidity. That's what is un-acceptable. They should realize that structures like flyovers and bridges are NOT MODIFIABLE....unlike their palatial houses.
Once built, the damage is done. You can't stick an additional loop or leg with a bandage. MORONS.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 13th April 2010 at 15:44.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 17:27   #1435
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 585
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This was not the first time this happened regarding the proposed signal-free Marathalli junction. Apparently, a day after this was mentioned in the TOI, the cops tried to enforce this on the following weekend. There was a revolt against this by the locals, and the proposal was rolled back. That explains the divider blocks strewn about the place.
I believe cops are investigating the following possibility.
1) Block the entire Marathahalli bridge, have everyone take U-turns to reach across and convert the bridge to an open-diner.
2) Or take down the bridge and the complaints with it.


Edit: Pun intended, not offence.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 13th April 2010 at 17:28.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 05:06   #1436
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Thumbs down

Have a look at the poor guy in the swift.

This what we call "Infrastructure" in Bangalore.


Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 16th April 2010 at 05:07.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 07:37   #1437
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Yesterday we were travelling from Chennai to Mysore via Bangalore, ofcourse we didn't enter into the city, but took the NICE road. Journey from Chennai up to Hosur was real breeze & we could really enjoy the nice drive. When we drove from Hosur, we could see in real about the traffic sense that were discussed in this forum.

While heading towards Mysore, sorry to say my friends, I could see most of the KA vehicles driving so bad. I know obviously, in KA we could find only KA registered vehicles & most of them driving bad. But what I meant to say is the roads are beautiful, scenic, wide, smooth & what not? Then, why didn't they simply stick in the lane & keep driving? In TN, the problem is with cyclist & pedestrians, even on the highway, in that aspect I couldn't see pedestrians & cyclists & even bikers on wrong directions or crossing the roads like walking in their bedrooms.

But most of the speeding cars were like maniacs & I found only one cabbie like this & most of the others were Ikon, Swift, Santro, I mean, most of them were owner's vehicle & not a T-board.
1. We spotted a Fortuner & this guy was driving sane, but the thing is often this guy go drive on shoulder for no reason & come back to left lane.
2. The height of frustration was when I moved to the left lane to yield for a speeding Swift & during this process a Fiesta guy comes behind me (mark it, I didn't cut to the left lane to yield) & honks like mad to yield again. All this happens on a four laned highway.
3. I was overtaking a vehicle from left most lane as this guy refused to move from right lane. While in the process a Swift cuts through a vehicle behind me via shoulder & honks at me like mad.

We enjoyed our journey through Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg, however, it was sad to see the state of people's driving skills though the roads were of international quality.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 09:21   #1438
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We enjoyed our journey through Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg, however, it was sad to see the state of people's driving skills though the roads were of international quality.
Correct observation, aargee. Sad that people still say its not that bad and that there are other cities with worse traffic sense. Anyone who comes to Bangalore from another city sees the bad traffic sense as the first thing.

Oh by the way, today i saw a guy driving a scorpio on ORR, sticking to the speed limit of 60 (although its 50 on ORR, but i wont hold that against this guy at all) It was such a pleasant sight. Our paths met from the KR Puram flyover onwards, towards Hebbal. And no, he was not talking on the cellphone either. He was genuinely sticking to the speed.

So, there are a few bright specks around too.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:53   #1439
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,471 Times
Default

I was in AECS layout on the main road driving through and notice a lady walking on the road (not even on the side of the road) without a care in the world. With vehicles coming from the other side, i had no other option than to blow the horn, to get her to move. No response. Finally, i manage to overtake her, and notice she has earphones plugged into her ears. How dumb can people get?!

If she wanted to swing to the jives, she should atleast walk on the footpaths or sides of the road, and NOT on the road! And she was carrying a laptop on her shoulders.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 10:57   #1440
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
she has earphones plugged into her ears. How dumb can people get?!
Plain suicidal I must say. I re-iterate, if people don't care for their own lives, who will ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 2028 6th December 2017 15:32
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks