Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 29th October 2009, 18:32   #31
MCR
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this sounds quite sad and defeatist.
i believe one should stand up for one's rights -albeit in a polite manner.

But given the current wave of parochial behaviour which is enveloping India, if one is from out of town and doesnt know the local language properly, it is better to shut up and leave before things turn dangerous or ugly.

but the fact is, the sinners will continue sinning and the meek still wont inherit the earth
Yes. it may sound defeatist, but it defenitely works. Even my blood boils when somebody makes a mistake and defends it. Telling them politely would mean "sir, this is not correct". But once you use the term "sir" you are gone, morons think that you are afraid of them and start talking to you in singular with abusive language.

I think the law of averages soon catches up with them and they end up in a big accident, getting punished for their mistakes. My friend is a horrible two-wheeler driver, one as defined by mobike008. He recently suffered an accident, trying to squeeze between a car and a bus. He suffered a fractured leg and big wounds. So defenitely everybody pays for their mistakes now or later.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 18:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Its quite simple, the way i see it.

Those on the roads have either bought a vehicle, or else bought something in their life, which makes them a CUSTOMER. As you know, Customer is ALWAYS right. they dont like to be told as wrong.

A poor joke, i know.
At IITD they call such jokes a 'hagga'.

:P

A prime example you have presented.

Anyways, my experience:

I was at Naraina in Delhi at around 6 pm. As is expected, the traffic was barely crawling.

I was in the left most lane, right next to the pavement. Coping with cycles and mo-bikes while they try to scratch off all the paint on your sides takes up most of your concentration.

Now, I had a really aged uncle (~55-60) with his wife in a Santro Xing to my right.

Time and again, he would swerve to the left in a jerk and force me to brake.

After this had happened 4-5 times, I opened my window and punched his car 3-4 times to catch his attention.

Now when he rolled the window down, I spoke in my politest tone 'Uncle, aapki car left ko drift ho rahi hai... Please be careful'.

Something came over the old fellow and he started shouting at me! " Yeh log mujhe right se squeeze kar rahe hain... Main kya karun tumhari gaadi ka!... Main toh apni ka dekhunga".

When I tell him that braking is an option as well, he decides to start screaming again!

I gave it up as a lost cause only to see him swerve into my car within the next few seconds. His wife screamed and so did my brakes.

I took the next opening and zoomed away. He probably couldn't drive sanely to save his life.
---------------------------------

The other thing that bugs me is people using the high beam in the city. Keep gesticulating to get them to use a low beam... But would they? NO!

I have never been able to use the night rear view mirror. They just add to the discomfort of driving.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 19:02   #33
Ali
BHPian

Well, we would'nt want anyone to get hurt or pay for mistakes. It's better if they understand what is right or wrong.

Discussing Educated people with no sense, what can we do about autowallahs and bikers.This consists of everyone, People who been to hyd or stay in hyd know.Even people who own a car educated or un-educated drive the same way.

This is just because they dont care about others, Simple example would be a car driver, trying to take a right turn on a busy junction from the extreme left side of the road. Everyone stranded and the signal goes red, Or some one just braking on the middle of the road to turn left and goes as slow as possible. Without realsing he can be banged, We cant do anything can we?

Cars,bikes,autos,buses...every thing with tyres is dangerous unless it has a sensible driver/rider. Just have to be careful and calm.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 19:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
At least 50% of the two wheeler riders don't know how to drive on the road. They know how to operate their vehicles and can ride without falling off, but that's about it.
You have got the percentage wrong. At least 95% of ALL DRIVERS of all kind of vehicles dont know any road rules and dont have any road manners or etiquette. As you have mentioned that they just know to operate their vehicle, and for them, that makes them the perfect drivers.

Two wheelers drivers are the biggest nuisance as they keep buzzing like mosquitoes, in every direction, trying to squeeze in every smallest possible gap.

In India we observe complete democracy on roads which means that every body is law unto himself and is free to do what ever he likes, rules be damned.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 00:33   #35
BHPian

Not only do we car drivers in B'lore have to contend with such high density of traffic and the absence of lane discipline amongst testosterone high bus drivers and psychotic auto wallahs, now it seems like we need a 3rd eye that looks out for 2 wheelers and autos overtaking from the left and cutting across to take sharp rights. Even the slightest touch to their rear during such a manoeuvre could send them flying for no mistake of ours and yet who would get blamed by the majority of this breed?
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 01:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
EGO man. People think they are the best riders and drivers this side of Schumacher. They hate to be told they are wrong, especially by strangers in traffic.
+1 Money Power.
In my case I got attitude/shouting while I voluntarily give the path to a car/bike.

Inc 1.
Was crossing the Road in Indiranagar with my wife. I crossed the half and standing in the median of a junction. Watching the left side vehicle. A car came to junction and took sudden right w/o any indicator. He suddenly stopped and called me from inside.

he : What did u told ?
I : What (twice), I didnt tell u any thing ? (thouhgt he might be asking for route)
he : You didnt tell ?
I : No...

A lady in car told some thing and he drove away...

Last edited by arin_12 : 30th October 2009 at 01:05.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 09:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

To put is briefly it is an ego thing, as simple as that.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 09:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Not only do we car drivers in B'lore have to contend with such high density of traffic and the absence of lane discipline amongst testosterone high bus drivers and psychotic auto wallahs, now it seems like we need a 3rd eye that looks out for 2 wheelers and autos overtaking from the left and cutting across to take sharp rights. Even the slightest touch to their rear during such a manoeuvre could send them flying for no mistake of ours and yet who would get blamed by the majority of this breed?

Bus drivers from Russia take the cake. Watch this:

Last edited by Gansan : 30th October 2009 at 09:39.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 14:16   #39
BHPian

^^
Sad but LMAO :d
BEST @ Mumbai and the Blue Line something @ Delhi aint too different at times.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 15:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, i know i am opening a can of worms, but people here also take an offence once they are corrected, i mean i have seen people arguing meaninglessly on issues which dosent make any sense, this problem is not just on the streets, its just every where, so i thought i would make sense to touch this topic as well. Why do Bhpians take an offense when they are corrected about some facts.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 16:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire - The best way to tackle these people is - slap them-shut them-forget them(but for this you need to be tall and broad built like me)

Jokes apart i see such people everyday and seriously you cant do much. Most riders had not given proper driving tests so they don't know overtaking from left is wrong so why would they bother. I try to stay away from such riders normally.
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 16:49   #42
BHPian

I think its much more than ego in these cases. General frustration of spending long hours in slow moving traffic + the unruly and thankless behaviour on the roads adds up to the heat.
Personally i dont have an issue with bikers overtaking from left as i drive my car on the right most side leaving only the left side exposed to bikers for overtaking. Easier for me to concentrate. But yes i have to keep my left ORVM always close else that gets smashed by some moron on a suicide mission. And yes at traffic signals if bikes on my left i take a slight delayed start so as to let them go ahead. They generally move to the left after some distance allowing me to overtake them again from right
shk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 14:23   #43
BHPian

@Spitfire, patrao, not worth trying to educate all the morons on bangalore streets - i've been trying since I moved to bangalore - just leaves you all angry and irritated when you try to talk and reason with these idiots - I even tried telling a guy in an ambassador with bangalore govt plates - they just don't get what we're talking about, never will !

Shamelessly, I've finally given up, these days - I listen to some nice music, roll up the windows and watch the left ORVM to make sure i know what these guys are upto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
Personally i dont have an issue with bikers overtaking from left as i drive my car on the right most side leaving only the left side exposed to bikers for overtaking. Easier for me to concentrate.
And could you please let me know the "technique" you use to take a 90 degree right turn, I mean which side of the road would you move to before and after taking the turn? How would you take a left turn on a road with no divider and still leave room for bikers to overtake you from the left , if you don't leave any space in this case, what would you do in case someone on a bike/autorickshaw tried to overtake you from the left while your turning ?

Quote:
But yes i have to keep my left ORVM always close else that gets smashed by some moron on a suicide mission. And yes at traffic signals if bikes on my left i take a slight delayed start so as to let them go ahead. They generally move to the left after some distance allowing me to overtake them again from right
Since you keep your left OVRM closed to protect it how would you know if some vehicle 1 inch away from the left of your car? In such a case what would happen if you need to turn your car's steering a little bit to the left ?

Quote:
I think its much more than ego in these cases. General frustration of spending long hours in slow moving traffic + the unruly and thankless behaviour on the roads adds up to the heat.
No mate - its not frustration, its just that most people in Bangalore get their licenses through agents and dont know anything about driving other than the "technique" of moving the car from point A to point B ! The main cause is the lack of education, etiquette and respect for other road users .

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 31st October 2009 at 14:39.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 15:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

Since you keep your left OVRM closed to protect it how would you know if some vehicle 1 inch away from the left of your car? In such a case what would happen if you need to turn your car's steering a little bit to the left ?
I keep it closed too. It'll get knocked off in 10 minutes any way.

The solution to counter the blind spot is to avoid a jerk to the left. Keep your movements on the road smooth and predictable.

PS: No one drives just 1 inch away. It'd be impossible to maintain that distance. :P
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 16:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Ok This is a funny.

I saw a fat sardar coming out of a zen, goes to this guy and starts abusing, then this sard get in this esteem and reverses it parks it in the middle of a busy main road and throws the key at him and says G$#% me dal le.

Pramod
Awesome!

btw I had a few incidents myself regarding bikers!

Location - Bhikaji Kama Flyover

Once I was in a stop and go traffic in my M800 and the whole road was literally packed!

Then this biker guy tries to squeeze in from my side(I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane road)
In the process he hits my right side ORVM! fortunately it didn't break!(but bends the other way)

I was like 'what the...'
but to my amazement, I saw him raising his hand as if trying to say 'sorry' or 'my mistake'

he even braked to reach up to my car and said sorry!
Some bikers are indeed good souls IMO!

And those in Ghaziabad area are totally opposite!
They hit your car and don't even show a little bit of regret!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 31st October 2009 at 16:22.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote