Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:18   #2281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
On a different note we need to appreciate Rishiraj Singh for all the changes he is bringing/enforcing.
You're behind the times, aren't you? Rishiraj Singh has been eased out as the Transport Commissioner of Kerala - his methods weren't to the liking of everyone. The new commissioner is R. Sreelekha.
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:19   #2282
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

I actually find other part of chennai (alwarpet, saidapet, velachery, north madras, madhya kailash, adyar) to be worse than t-nagar. I stay in pondy bazaar and, barring festivals, I never ever get into traffic snarls like what happens in other places. There are specific places to be avoided like duraiswamy subway or usman road near ranganathan road.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:26   #2283
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,710
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I actually find other part of chennai (alwarpet, saidapet, velachery, north madras, madhya kailash, adyar) to be worse than t-nagar. I stay in pondy bazaar and, barring festivals, I never ever get into traffic snarls like what happens in other places. There are specific places to be avoided like duraiswamy subway or usman road near ranganathan road.
Add to the above list, Porur Junction/ Arcot Road/ Mount Poonamalee Road. My office is in Porur and it is a pain to cross Porur junction most of the times during the day.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:35   #2284
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

^^^ At this rate, we will include all the Junctions on the arterial roads.


Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You're behind the times, aren't you? Rishiraj Singh has been eased out as the Transport Commissioner of Kerala - his methods weren't to the liking of everyone. The new commissioner is R. Sreelekha.
Yep, ever since he went on leave on the rear seat belt issue. I am not sure what would the Kerala government do if the Center includes the same in the MV act. Thanks to a Union minister passing away, its now being considered. Hope Rishiraj is involved in the RTO reforms they have been talking about
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:39   #2285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
^^^ At this rate, we will include all the Junctions on the arterial roads.
Welp, that's the truth, isnt it. I see many people talking about traffic in t-nagar IRL and I am bewildered to see that most times traffic is far worse in other places or at best as bad a t-nagar.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 03:43   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I bow to thee, O Chennaites and hereby declare you as Extremely Distinguished BHPians, if you can survive the road every day and still be driving enthusiasts.
Frankly, if auto drivers would charge by the meter, with no messing and no hassle, I'd sell the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Not been to Mylapore in a long time, but it should be more or less like T.Nagar too.
Mylapore is difficult to define. The area around Kapaleswarar temple, including the main road that runs north/south, can get very bad and I always bypass it unless I am actually going there. The name can cover quite a large area, much of which is not bad at all.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 08:02   #2287
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mylapore is difficult to define. The area around Kapaleswarar temple, including the main road that runs north/south, can get very bad and I always bypass it unless I am actually going there. The name can cover quite a large area, much of which is not bad at all.
Mylapore ROCKS guys - The traffic is hardly as bad as in velachery. The good thing is inspite of traffic pile ups, the car moves on and that is a BIG PLUS POINT
headers is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 09:41   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Mylapore ROCKS guys - The traffic is hardly as bad as in velachery. The good thing is inspite of traffic pile ups, the car moves on and that is a BIG PLUS POINT
Yes - i have spent half an hour for <3 km on ECR near thiruvanmiyur or on OMR coming in from perungudi.

In mylapore i have never been totally stationary for an appreciable period.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 11:26   #2289
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Talking Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

In which case I think, we need to agree with @Secretariat, even if we are not taking the trophy, we at least share it.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 11:27   #2290
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN-22
Posts: 133
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

From the beginning of this week, most of the traffic lights on my route to office are working!! That itself is a welcome change

The observation: when the lights work there is very less confusion / chaos on the roads and intersections.

If there is a cop regulating the traffic, it is always a BIG MESS

Anyhow, I'm not sure how many more days these will continue working, before conking off!

BTW, my office route is from Nanganallur to Olympia, Guindy, which has two different routes. I have 4 traffic lights on one way and 5 on the other.

Is this the same in your routes as well?
Srikanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 13:03   #2291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
From the beginning of this week, most of the traffic lights on my route to office are working!! That itself is a welcome change

The observation: when the lights work there is very less confusion / chaos on the roads and intersections.

If there is a cop regulating the traffic, it is always a BIG MESS

Anyhow, I'm not sure how many more days these will continue working, before conking off!

BTW, my office route is from Nanganallur to Olympia, Guindy, which has two different routes. I have 4 traffic lights on one way and 5 on the other.

Is this the same in your routes as well?
I agree with you on your cop observation. Whenever a cop directs traffic, the situation is far worse than the traffic figuring out how to move itself.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 18:04   #2292
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 663 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Welp, that's the truth, isnt it. I see many people talking about traffic in t-nagar IRL and I am bewildered to see that most times traffic is far worse in other places or at best as bad a t-nagar.
And for most Pondy Bazaar and Usman Road is what encompasses T.Nagar. In the 3 decades I've lived here I haven't got stuck. Infact my friend whose family has been a resident of Choolaimedu for 3 generations has moved out to Pallavaram citing traffic.

Whichever city you live in, you need to know your bylanes/detours to survive

On a related note, I found driving in Madurai a total cultural shock than I've driven any city.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 12:51   #2293
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Had a stupid incident where an idiot biker left a huge scratch from the left rear door to the front. Idiot tried to fit inside an unimaginably small gap and before i could stop him, the idiot zoomed off. Why do i have to pay the price for someone else's stupidity. Makes me want to pull all my hair out :(
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:18   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Had a stupid incident where an idiot biker left a huge scratch from the left rear door to the front. Idiot tried to fit inside an unimaginably small gap and before i could stop him, the idiot zoomed off. Why do i have to pay the price for someone else's stupidity. Makes me want to pull all my hair out :(
The other day I waited 5 min patiently to get a parking slot in besant nagar. Then took my son for icecream and some shopping. 10 min later I discovered this gift.

Name:  dent.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  47.3 KB
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:42   #2295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: TN-22
Posts: 133
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The other day I waited 5 min patiently to get a parking slot in besant nagar. Then took my son for icecream and some shopping. 10 min later I discovered this gift.

Attachment 1283179
That's cruel!

My similar experience, but this time just in front of my door-step, when I had parked my car for 30 minutes!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3521701 (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

This is second incident on my automobiles.

The first one was when I had parked my RE-TBTS and some miscreant opened the fuel cock and removed the hose as well - which caused the fuel to flow out. The tank was almost empty before we 'smelled' the gas and rushed out to stop the cock.
Srikanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apollo launches Amazer 4G Life - Claimed life of 100,000 kms Tushar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th June 2016 18:39
Life's like that: Real life anecdotes. Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 532 2nd December 2015 19:11
24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads Murugan Street Experiences 15 30th March 2012 13:24
Hi folks. Life on the road in Chennai peak hour traffic! sterlingjames Street Experiences 7 11th November 2009 08:40
horrible traffic at bandra, linking road, s.v.road and around in mumbai Max Shifting gears 6 3rd June 2008 00:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks