Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd February 2018, 03:30   #2986
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

New car puja gone horribly wrong...

I wonder if anyone has the details and can post it to the accidents thread.

What I have is second hand. My wife's friend works at St Thomas Mount hospital. She told, a couple of days ago, 15 people were admitted.

Someone had bought a new Innova (?) and gone to a temple for the puja. He took his driver, but felt that he should be at the wheel for the first journey after the puja. By mistake he engaged Reverse gear....
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 20:29   #2987
BHPian

So they seem to have created a break on the OMR just ahead of the Indira Nagar railway station. I have marked the location on the snapshot of the map attached.

This seems to be causing a lot delays with our lane discipline lacking road users occupying two lanes to take the right turn.

Can't imagine what will be the case when it's late night and people don't bother stopping for the signal. This stretch has now definitely become unsafe.

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-1518015369337.jpg
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 21:27   #2988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
So they seem to have created a break on the OMR just ahead of the Indira Nagar railway station. I have marked the location on the snapshot of the map attached.

This seems to be causing a lot delays with our lane discipline lacking road users occupying two lanes to take the right turn.

Can't imagine what will be the case when it's late night and people don't bother stopping for the signal. This stretch has now definitely become unsafe.

Attachment 1726388

This is the result of High Court judgement in the case filed by local residents there. We may have to live with it now.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 00:36   #2989
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading about it. I'm sure it is a good idea, but I don't think I'll be trying to take a right turn there any time soon. Scary!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 11:02   #2990
BHPian

Happened to see a new kind of moron today. Was travelling near SRM university, Potheri. There is service lane on both sides, and the service lane is fenced up until the university entrance. Was travelling at about 50kmph on my bike with my wife in pillion. There was guy riding a FZ16 about two car lengths in front of me. He took an old helmet that was hanging at his rear view mirror and tossed it on the side of the road! (while still riding his bike at ~50kmph!!). The helmet rolled and hit the barricade then started rolling towards the middle of the road. There was an elderly couple riding in front of me. They were startled, but continued to hit the helmet with the front wheel. Thankfully the helmet got tossed again towards the barricade and stayed there.

Couldn't stop immediately as there was traffic behind me.

Stupid, stupid people riding these days!!!

Last edited by knaveen : 11th February 2018 at 11:03.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 11:46   #2991
BHPian

This has been the state of the "pavement improvement" work on the entire western side of Mooparappan Street, T.Nagar for over a month now. It is a challenge for the not so young to get out or in to their homes. The only response from Corporation officials is "it would be completed very soon, please bear with us".

Now, about 10 days ago another department has dug up the eastern side of the same street. Some precise digging!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-pavement1.jpg  

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-pavement2.jpg  

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-auto1.jpg  

swissknife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2018, 13:23   #2992
BHPian

I was driving back from my daughter's theatre when I noticed the sheer number of morons who drive/walk/cycle while talking on their phones. The first was a fortuner driven by a driver who was talking on his phone and almost scraped my CRV on greenways road . He had the temerity to shout at me. The next was a cyclist who crossed chamiers road while talking on his phone and blissfully unaware of traffic around him. The third incident was close to my house where two teens were busy chatting on their phone right in the middle of the road. *** is wrong with these people?
hajaar is online now   Reply With Quote