Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 10:38   #346
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,858
Thanked: 190 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Karthik - which road are you referring to? @Ampere will be taking NH4-Chennai-Byepass & get onto Porur signal which will be after SRMC (Sri Ramachandra Medical College, if I'm not wrong). I'm taking this route everyday & haven't found any major issues other than what I described above.
Yes ,the same road.i had been there last week.The road sides were in very pathetic condition (Full of mud and slush) from Rathna Cafe(Newly opened) till the Signal.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 12:52   #347
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 465
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Ladies Hostel Near Airport

My cousin is coming in from Mumbai - December and is looking for a ladies hostel near the airport. We searched on Google maps / Just dial and noted a few and started Sunday morning in search of these. All I can say is that Alandur/MKN Road/Medavakkam/Pazhavanthangal/Nanganallur is all so cramped up, dirty and lacks infrastructure big time. Better not to take her to those places. She will run away :( Now I am thinking not of hostels and not close to the airport. But go a little away from the airport to a better area and a flat in a good area. She is coming in from South Mumbai and after that a training in Gurgaon. Man, coming from those places I need to show her our best bet in Chennai! Maybe Anna Nagar, Adyar, Nungambakkam. Any suggestions for 4/5 spinsters in a flat in a good area? 20K maybe.

I was happy though with the flyover on the GST near Pallavaram to Thoraipakkam. Wow!
Attached Images
 
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:04   #348
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,966
Thanked: 1,374 Times
Default

I've PMed you the contact number of a ladies hostel in Nungambakkam (My sis stays there).

Last edited by silversteed : 15th November 2010 at 14:05.
silversteed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:45   #349
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

There's a YWCA working women's hostel on OMR, near SRP tools - opposite Electra Automotive.

Saw this dual-cab truck with awesome road presence on Mount Road. It looked like a Tata Zenon, but debadged.
Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-dsc02713.jpg

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-dsc02714.jpg

Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-dsc02715.jpg
Not sure what the V stands for though. Just one word - awesome.

P.S.: The spare-wheel was huge - taking up most of the rear. :-)

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th November 2010 at 15:03.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:04   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

The city is full of people who want to fill for Rs 50 & 100s (Rs 500 & 100 for cars), the only people who do a full tank are probably driving long (yet to see one two-wheeler for full tank).
I always do a full tank whether it is bike/car. Only times i fill less is if i am not near my favourite pump.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:25   #351
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 730
Thanked: 682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I always do a full tank whether it is bike/car. Only times i fill less is if i am not near my favourite pump.
Its the same here. Always a full tank. But mostly when it is at the quarter mark

Also, probably OT - The way the next in line person looks if you are doing a full tank on a car. If looks could kill
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:20   #352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,608
Thanked: 6,692 Times
Default

I fill a full tank when the needle is below the E mark --- and I have been slightly nervous for the last couple of trips. The amount to full, though, against the tank capacity, tells me that there were still a few litres left, and a few litres takes a diesel quite a long way
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:37   #353
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,957 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The city is full of people who want to fill for Rs 50 & 100s (Rs 500 & 100 for cars), the only people who do a full tank are probably driving long (yet to see one two-wheeler for full tank).
Err...I guess I spoke too soon

Well, I meant to say, except TBhpians, ppl going through this forum or people who went through short fuelling tricks at fuel pumps, all the other people belong to the above category.

Fuel in the suburbs of Chennai (like on the way to Sriperumbudur) the fuel prices are cheaper by atleast 30-50 paise per litre, however, its expensive in the city & most expensive at places like Thoppur. Has anyone noticed this?

Last edited by aargee : 15th November 2010 at 18:39.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 20:06   #354
BHPian
 
iamswift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 178
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fuel in the suburbs of Chennai (like on the way to Sriperumbudur) the fuel prices are cheaper by atleast 30-50 paise per litre, however, its expensive in the city & most expensive at places like Thoppur. Has anyone noticed this?
We have two suburbs - Chengalpet and Kancheepuram. May be prices differ in these two districts??
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 21:17   #355
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fuel in the suburbs of Chennai (like on the way to Sriperumbudur) the fuel prices are cheaper by atleast 30-50 paise per litre, however, its expensive in the city & most expensive at places like Thoppur. Has anyone noticed this?
Is that so? I have not noticed. Any way there is no Shell pump within the city, and it is a long time since I filled petrol from PSU pumps.

If what you say is correct, fuel from Kathipara onwards should be cheaper, because it is located in Kanchipuram district!

I know, I know, the city limit has been recently extended to Meenambakkam, but that will take effect only after the term of the local bodies - Alandur Municipality in this case - expires!
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 21:43   #356
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,957 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is that so? I have not noticed...bodies - Alandur Municipality in this case - expires!
Sir, last time (Nov 5th weekend) I filled at IOL at NH4, the price was around 56.6ish while the fuel price in Chennai city was around 57.xish; its one of the biggest & spacious IOL pump after Thirumazhisai. May be around 8-10 Kms from Saveetha Dental College bridge.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 12:33   #357
BHPian
 
SafeDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 411
Thanked: 47 Times
Angry Cheated at the toll plaza

Had a disappointing experiance today. I was entering OMR from the Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam radial road to go to work. At the toll booth, I gave him a Rs.100 note and was provided the ticket and change in return. As it was rush hour and a huge line was there behind me I just took it and left. However on counting the change provided after reachig the office, I realized that he had provided me with Rs.10 less . Has this happened to anyone else?
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:34   #358
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

^^^
Has not happened to me till date. But will take care henceforth.

Regarding petrol prices, was at Pondy last Saturday and it was Rs6 and change lesser than at Chennai. Tank was close to empty and a full-tank took in 48 litres of petrol.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 14:45   #359
BHPian
 
pras.oct25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 665
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Had a disappointing experiance today. I was entering OMR from the Pallavaram - Thoraipakkam radial road to go to work. At the toll booth, I gave him a Rs.100 note and was provided the ticket and change in return. As it was rush hour and a huge line was there behind me I just took it and left. However on counting the change provided after reachig the office, I realized that he had provided me with Rs.10 less . Has this happened to anyone else?
Unfair to say that he cheated you.The same way you were in a hurry cause of rush hour, he could have returned the change in a hurry.
Always important to check your change before moving. Thats why they have that sign saying "please tender exact change", though this rarely is the case, since you cant always provide exact change to them.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:01   #360
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

The reason why there is a price difference between Chennai & the suburbs is because the pumps in Chennai dipense Euro 4 fuel while the ones in suburbs dispense Euro 3 fuel. Apart from this I don't see any reason for the price differential.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apollo launches Amazer 4G Life - Claimed life of 100,000 kms Tushar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th June 2016 18:39
Life's like that: Real life anecdotes. Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 532 2nd December 2015 19:11
24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads Murugan Street Experiences 15 30th March 2012 13:24
Hi folks. Life on the road in Chennai peak hour traffic! sterlingjames Street Experiences 7 11th November 2009 08:40
horrible traffic at bandra, linking road, s.v.road and around in mumbai Max Shifting gears 6 3rd June 2008 00:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks