Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 16:21   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,730
Thanked: 6,943 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Licence renewal time.

Spent a couple of hours at Thiruvanmiyur RTO yesterday. Why-oh-why do people think that they have to be in physical contact with the person in front of them when queuing? Particularly surprising was the fact that the first offender was a woman.

The second offender was a helmet-in-hand biker. When I pointed out the temperature and asked for some space he was quite apologetic --- but didn't much modify the actual behaviour. I could only think, "I bet you drive like this too!"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:51   #1097
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Had gone to Saidapet for some work. When we (self and wife) returned, this is what greeted us (in case of doubts - the boxed-in i10 is mine).

Fortunately the office of the political party represented by the flag was easy to locate in the vicinity; though the owner of the vehicle took a further 15-20 minutes to deign to move the vehicle. This photo clicked in the interim.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the road in Chennai-20120427_001_cropped.jpg  

binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:27   #1098
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why-oh-why do people think that they have to be in physical contact with the person in front of them when queuing?
Seems like the first offender fancies you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Had gone to Saidapet for some work. When we (self and wife) returned, this is what greeted us (in case of doubts - the boxed-in i10 is mine).

Fortunately the office of the political party represented by the flag was easy to locate in the vicinity; though the owner of the vehicle took a further 15-20 minutes to deign to move the vehicle. This photo clicked in the interim.
Maybe you parked in his private parking space on the road.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:32   #1099
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,500
Thanked: 435 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Had gone to Saidapet for some work. When we (self and wife) returned, this is what greeted us (in case of doubts - the boxed-in i10 is mine).
Did you post this on the Chennai City Traffic Police Facebook page (without blurring out the number plate that is)? We can see if they have the balls to take action!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 18:17   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,730
Thanked: 6,943 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Seems like the first offender fancies you.
If so, it wasn't mutual --- and wife was sitting a couple of metres away anyway .

Picked up the licence the following Friday. I was probably an hour or two early as it wasn't in the guy's pile: he asked me to wait five minutes, went and found it, with its paperwork, put it through his system and now I have a nice new, blue, shiny smartcard licence. I wonder if it will make me any smarter!

Friendly and efficient. They must have to be tough to work at the RTO, though, handling the difficult customers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 22:01   #1101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,391 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Did you post this on the Chennai City Traffic Police Facebook page (without blurring out the number plate that is)? We can see if they have the balls to take action!
Nope. I don't really like the idea of needing a Facebook account and stuff to make a complaint to local law & order folks. Anyway, that particular flag is not really the flavour of the month in Chennai/TN; the cops might even take action.
binand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 22:04   #1102
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,500
Thanked: 435 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Nope. I don't really like the idea of needing a Facebook account and stuff to make a complaint to local law & order folks. Anyway, that particular flag is not really the flavour of the month in Chennai/TN; the cops might even take action.
Good one! And yes, they might have taken action.

On the facebook page, how it has been helping is that people are posting photographic evidence of violations on a public forum and the police sometimes cannot ignore it or squish it under the table when that happens.
They have even admitted to have fined auto's for not going by meter fare
(in Chennai ) , but we have no means to ascertain if that actually has happened.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 13:19   #1103
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If so, it wasn't mutual --- and wife was sitting a couple of metres away anyway .
Which is the right answer, the first or the last ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
but we have no means to ascertain if that actually has happened.
I have 3 letters for you, RTI.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 17:13   #1104
Ice
BHPian
 
Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 304
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Bad Judgement:
Thanks to the Occupy Mount Road movement, I come from Chamiers Road on Cenotaph Road, and hang a U where it meets Mt. Rd., to take the first left, into CIT colony. This road then leads me to SIET college road, and I motor on to TTK road and travel parallel to Mt.Rd. till Gemini.

Yesterday, I saw this young couple walking hand in hand in the middle of the road, inside CIT colony. I waited for a few seconds, and then powered up the Roots Vibrasonic for a good, satisfying HONK. And they still didn't move! Finally, another pedestrian pointed out to the love birds that they were holding up traffic, and they moved over to the side. I lowered my window to ask them why on earth they chose to Occupy CIT Colony, only to see the guy pointing to his ears and gesticulating that they didn't work. They were both deaf. I felt like such a so-and-so. Got down and used ASL to apologize (though I probably told them that their cow had gone to the casino, or something like that).

Last edited by Ice : 4th May 2012 at 17:14. Reason: bad grammar
Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 18:05   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,730
Thanked: 6,943 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
They were both deaf. I felt like such a so-and-so.
One of my dad's driving lessons, when I did not slow down after honking at a pedestrian: "What if they are deaf?"

Lessons in humility are never bad for us ... but I don't think you should feel so bad about this. They were deaf, ok, but were they stupid to be wandering about in the middle of the road?

(No offence to the deaf: I am slightly deaf myself. It is a disability nobody takes seriously, especially partial deafness. Either people just don't believe it, or they think you got deaf on purpose just to annoy them.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 00:43   #1106
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Is it me or generally there are more traffic jams in Chennai off late? Jams from old airport-Kathipara at noon yesterday, between Chennai trade center and ramapuram couple of days back at noon and jams continue from hazar khana to airport at night 9:30-10:30
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 02:43   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,731
Thanked: 15,786 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K
Is it me or generally there are more traffic jams in Chennai off late? Jams from old airport-Kathipara at noon yesterday, between Chennai trade center and ramapuram couple of days back at noon and jams continue from hazar khana to airport at night 9:30-10:30
I just came to office at 12.30 am.

Encountered a huge traffic jam, from Tambaram (below flyover) to perungalathur. The narrow bridge just before perungalathur creating a bottleneck.

I guess there are a lot of cars on the roads these days. My friends who used to prefer bikes for office commute take only car these days, to escape the heat.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 03:16   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,730
Thanked: 6,943 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Which is the right answer, the first or the last ?
They were, of course, both the right answer

I know there is a national and general conversation going on here (Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars) --- but, Chennai-specific, has anyone heard that anything is being done or is likely to be done in and around our city about the Supreme Court sunfilm issue?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 07:09   #1109
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I just came to office at 12.30 am.

Encountered a huge traffic jam, from Tambaram (below flyover) to perungalathur. The narrow bridge just before perungalathur creating a bottleneck.

I guess there are a lot of cars on the roads these days. My friends who used to prefer bikes for office commute take only car these days, to escape the heat.
The bottleneck is perungalathur and its railway crossings. The cops go crazy there as the traffic pile up on either side is over ONE KM

One could add the usual chaos created by the share autos as well as wrong parking by the BUS chaps which is right in the middle of the road!

If they eliminate the turns there, then traffic would MOVE!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 15:09   #1110
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They were, of course, both the right answer

I know there is a national and general conversation going on here (Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars) --- but, Chennai-specific, has anyone heard that anything is being done or is likely to be done in and around our city about the Supreme Court sunfilm issue?
A week or so back, I read an interview of the Police commissioner in one of the local papers where he stated that they are not going to enforce it or something to that effect. The reasons cited were
a) Cost of the visibility checkers being high
b) The verdict was due to crime rate being higher in Delhi and not applicable to Chennai.

However this was before the actual judgement wordings were out on the public domain. With the way Delhi and Bangalore Police are reacting, Chennai may catch up as well.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apollo launches Amazer 4G Life - Claimed life of 100,000 kms Tushar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th June 2016 18:39
Life's like that: Real life anecdotes. Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 532 2nd December 2015 19:11
24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads Murugan Street Experiences 15 30th March 2012 13:24
Hi folks. Life on the road in Chennai peak hour traffic! sterlingjames Street Experiences 7 11th November 2009 08:40
horrible traffic at bandra, linking road, s.v.road and around in mumbai Max Shifting gears 6 3rd June 2008 00:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks