Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 16:25   #1336
BHPian
 
the.city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Guys driving on the 200 ft Radial Road (Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam) beware !! I regularly use this stretch and I can tell u 8 out 10 times I have seen cops with radar detectors in their Qualis. The road is pretty smooth and well marked and as a result we tend to hit speeds of 80+ comfortably but after I was notified by another member that speed limit is 60.
I live on that road and I can attest to this. Be careful folks.

Also - Most OMR frequenters would know this already: You will find cops with Radar equipment on the stretch of road between Tidel Park to Madhya Kailash. They would usually be standing under shade of trees opposite the Indira Nagar station. You can usually see them there on afternoon/evenings of weekdays and 100% find them there on weekend daytime.

So, please slow down a bit. What's the rush anyway!
the.city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:47   #1337
BHPian
 
rock18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Yes, they will be usually standing just before chennai one building i.e while going towards thoraipakkam.
I usually do good speeds in those road till half distance and afterwards steady 40-50 till i cross them.
But this is a good thing which will curb a lot of rash driving,especially cabs and trucks.
Even in OMR road i.e from thoraipakkam toll to siruseri toll,there are two spots where they stand often.we have to be very cautious while driving in those roads.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 21:16   #1338
BHPian
 
rajanprash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18
Yes, they will be usually standing just before chennai one building i.e while going towards thoraipakkam.
I usually do good speeds in those road till half distance and afterwards steady 40-50 till i cross them.
But this is a good thing which will curb a lot of rash driving,especially cabs and trucks.
Even in OMR road i.e from thoraipakkam toll to siruseri toll,there are two spots where they stand often.we have to be very cautious while driving in those roads.
I am so fed up with the OMR road. Especially Shollinganallur signal which is a bottleneck. I take the Velachery Medavakkam road or the ECR. Saves a great deal of time.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 16:18   #1339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 44
Thanked: 13 Times
Question Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Hi,

I might transfer to Chennai soon and was curious to know the travel times at best and at worst on the OMR from Hiranandani Upscale Egattur to SP Infocity Perungudi. What are the main bottlenecks in between?

Thanks & Regards,
RS
ronline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 16:52   #1340
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
..was curious to know the travel times at best and at worst on the OMR from Hiranandani Upscale Egattur to SP Infocity Perungudi. What are the main bottlenecks in between?
The main bottlenecks are the people not learning to respect another driver and fighting for the same space on the road - Sad it has to come at the IT hub of the city where everyone appears educated
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:37   #1341
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 44
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The main bottlenecks are the people not learning to respect another driver and fighting for the same space on the road -
So whats the travel time like between the two points above during office hours?
ronline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 08:42   #1342
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
So whats the travel time like between the two points above during office hours?
Depends on one's luck anywhere between 15 minutes to 1 hour I would presume!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 10:53   #1343
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Depends on one's luck anywhere between 15 minutes to 1 hour I would presume!
Depends on time more than luck. Morning 8-11(more than 45 minutes minimum)
4-7.30 PM - More than 60 minutes

My choice would be to take the ECR after you cross Infosys (immediate right to infosys) and then come back to perungudi.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 13:18   #1344
BHPian
 
BoeingDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The main bottlenecks are the people not learning to respect another driver and fighting for the same space on the road - Sad it has to come at the IT hub of the city where everyone appears educated
Absolutely Agreed. Here is an simple scenario where these so called educated idiots end up causing a massive traffic pile up.

OMR going towards the CITY at CSIR/NIFT Signal.

At peak timings you would notice cars and bikes fill the service road next to the main road. This way they think they can avoid the CSIR signal and take an Illegal U turn at the end the junction and proceed onwards.

But what do they really do ? By trying to take that Illegal U turn, they block the CSIR entry exit point completely and as a result no vehicle coming from madhya kailash on OMR will be able to take the RIGHT TURN towards Ascendas and even if they do, they completely end up blocking the OMR towards the city.

An 2 minutes of patience observed by every driver will only result in an 2 minute delay. Trying to save a minute and acting stupid will result in inordinate delay.

As a result I completely avoid OMR Roads between 5.30-7.30 (worst of timings) and I use Taramani or Velachery Roads.

Chennai Traffic Police must make sure a cop stands at that CSIR Junction and ensure no Illegal U turn is taken there.
BoeingDriver is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 14:18   #1345
BHPian
 
Anandv267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Absolutely Agreed. Here is an simple scenario where these so called educated idiots end up causing a massive traffic pile up.

OMR going towards the CITY at CSIR/NIFT Signal.

At peak timings you would notice cars and bikes fill the service road next to the main road. This way they think they can avoid the CSIR signal and take an Illegal U turn at the end the junction and proceed onwards.

But what do they really do ? By trying to take that Illegal U turn, they block the CSIR entry exit point completely and as a result no vehicle coming from madhya kailash on OMR will be able to take the RIGHT TURN towards Ascendas and even if they do, they completely end up blocking the OMR towards the city.

An 2 minutes of patience observed by every driver will only result in an 2 minute delay. Trying to save a minute and acting stupid will result in inordinate delay.

As a result I completely avoid OMR Roads between 5.30-7.30 (worst of timings) and I use Taramani or Velachery Roads.

Chennai Traffic Police must make sure a cop stands at that CSIR Junction and ensure no Illegal U turn is taken there.
I agree with what you say boeing driver. But most of the motorits are left with no choice. According to me the main reason for heavy traffic at tidel park junction is the buses and share autos which block all 3 lanes to turn right to adyar. Due to this vehicles which have to go straight are stuck. A few days in this mayhem and people get frustrated and start using the service lane. The only solution to this is lane discipline should be followed by not only car owners like us but also by bikers buses and auto drivers, which is asking for too much.
BTW i usually stick to one lane(Mostly left or middle) till i pass the signal. I did this for almost 3 years. I got fed up after that and changed projects so that i could avoid the OMR
Anandv267 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:37   #1346
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 659 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

I usually watch this from the opposite direction waiting for my U-turn. It is not just buses and share autos, pretty much the entire right turn bound traffic blocks all lanes. This is not just with Tidel signal. Happens almost all over, the Cancer Institute signal where people take a U-turn from the left end of the road. Straight bound traffic blocking U-turn and right turn lanes on all 3 signals between Nandanam and Saidapet on Mount Road. Not to forget a whole bunch of vehicles that wait at Chamiers Road to cross Mount Road. These are few examples I see in day to day commute.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 11:04   #1347
BHPian
 
Anandv267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Today the traffic was horrible on the stretch between IIT and guindy ashok leyland signal. The traffic was because the great mtc drivers had occupied all the lanes to take a right into saidapet road without leaving any way for people going towards guindy. The policeman standing there did not do anything to the busses but was hurling abuses at cars and bikes trying to go straight saying that we were causing traffic. Almost had a fist fight with him today before the public stepped in and separated us. These police guys should be taught a lesson!!!
Anandv267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:11   #1348
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

whats the point in fighting for a lost cause. The govt employees will not fight with each other and you are only losing your own time.

Instead load an illayaraja CD and settle down for time to provide you an answer.

No one wins in a rage. Better way is to take a picture and post it in their face book page. They do accept and respond in some cases even if they do not have a permanent solution.

Last edited by VW2010 : 28th August 2012 at 12:12.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:23   #1349
BHPian
 
Anandv267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
whats the point in fighting for a lost cause. The govt employees will not fight with each other and you are only losing your own time.
True. He was shouting at me because i was trying to go straight and blocking a bus on my left side who was trying to turn right and block the whole area
I usually do not get into fights with anyone on the road but today he tested my patience. I was basically waiting for him to lay his hands on me so that i could show him he was messing with a average joe!!
Sorry. just frustrated. He spoilt my mood
Anandv267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:30   #1350
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
Today the traffic was horrible on the stretch between IIT and guindy ashok leyland signal. The traffic was because the great mtc drivers had occupied all the lanes to take a right into saidapet road without leaving any way for people going towards guindy. The policeman standing there did not do anything to the busses but was hurling abuses at cars and bikes trying to go straight saying that we were causing traffic. Almost had a fist fight with him today before the public stepped in and separated us. These police guys should be taught a lesson!!!
Mate, why troubling the "mama". He himself is under so much pressure to clear the traffic and has no other go but to hurl abuses. They stand under sun for 12-13hours and no one just cares about them. Leave aside the govt. buses, check out the share autos and truck wallahs. Poor humans. Although I am not supporting their action, but at the end of the day, they are humans too.

On the other hand, the one way from saidapet court till Rajbhavan has done a bit to ease of the traffic. But with the current dig ups for metro, there is much more pile up especially around the junction before Ashok leyland building. The road that comes from velacherry, Gurunanak and joins the Rajbhavan road is always a mess. People who want to go to saidapet have a headache while joining the traffic. I believe there was a signal installed but as long as I was there, I used to be the only one fool who stops at that signal.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 28th August 2012 at 12:38. Reason: Grammer
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apollo launches Amazer 4G Life - Claimed life of 100,000 kms Tushar Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th June 2016 18:39
Life's like that: Real life anecdotes. Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 532 2nd December 2015 19:11
24 hour always-on road traffic signals on Chennai roads Murugan Street Experiences 15 30th March 2012 13:24
Hi folks. Life on the road in Chennai peak hour traffic! sterlingjames Street Experiences 7 11th November 2009 08:40
horrible traffic at bandra, linking road, s.v.road and around in mumbai Max Shifting gears 6 3rd June 2008 00:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:51.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks