Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th December 2010, 13:30   #46
BHPian

I took the Kotturpuram route to T.Nagar, so not sure about Kathipara. But 45mins at the flyover is too much. May be some bus/ truck must have got stuck in a pothole which could have stopped the flow of traffic. I hear lot of people have not come to office today, so that is in line with my experience of lesser cars on the road.
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 13:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

I reached Royapettah from Padi without any issues in the morning, with the rains now slowing down hopefully going back should not be an issue.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 16:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

With 2 rivers running through the city (Adyar & Coovum) plus the Buckingham canal and the sea being close by and the fact that chennai being relatively flat one would be forgiven to think that water logging should not be a factor as the water would drain off. However that's as far as reality as it could be.

Having been in Chennai for umpteen years and having spoken to the powers that be, one of the major contributing factors to flooding is garbage thrown into the storm water drains. These are dry during the summer season and used as garbage dumps in places. During rains, garbage acts as a major "cork" stopping water from draining off. The problem partly lies with the general public in throwing garbage wherever/whenever they like and in the corporation not cleaning up the storm water drains just before the monsoon.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 16:45   #49
BHPian

I usually take the Kathipara to go to office. When I was just about to start from home, my friend called me up and warned against taking the flyover as he was stuck up in in for almost an hour.

Took up a new route - Went via Butt road. Took the road leading to St.Thomas Hospital. Went straight past the hospital. Took a right turn at the police booth and came to Ekkathuthaangal Ambal Nagar (opp. to Virtusa). Hurray!!!!! Didn't even stop for a minute for traffic or water logging etc..
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 16:55   #50
BHPian

T Nagar was bad this noon. Dr.Nair road leading upto the old residency and then upto valuvar Kottam.
Attached Thumbnails
Rain & Roads in Chennai-06122010167-large.jpg  

Rain & Roads in Chennai-06122010168-large.jpg  

Rain & Roads in Chennai-06122010169-large.jpg  

Rain & Roads in Chennai-06122010170-large.jpg  

neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 17:19   #51
BHPian

Default Chennai and Rains

I did get my share of joy in the rain. I had went to watch a movie in devi on saturday and in the late night show. While returning, I managed to enjoy the straights of our mount road till Rajbhavan. wow, I have never seen chennai roads being so superb in my 24 yrs. The drive was fantastic. Well some parts did had some amount of water but was ok according to me. Except for the interior roads and connecting roads and the areas where metro works are on, the rest of the roads are quite normal. I hope the Chennai corporation listens and starts making long standing roads so that its motorists can enjoy the beautiful rains.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 17:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Here're few from my side

This is all I could spot in my regular route. This one is the end of MGR Salai connecting OMR & Velachery.
Name:  06122010.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  06122010_003.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  06122010_004.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  64.4 KB
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote