Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th November 2009, 18:49   #1
BHPian

Default Trees falling on road, in pune, I manage to escape scratchless

I was driving towards office from pimple saudagar,just before the Rakshak Chowk huge tree fell off right in front of me, I immediately applied the breaks and went screeching straight into the falling tree, fortunately the huge tree branch was of arch shape so the car bonnet went in, by god’s grace car and me we both came out scratch less. Phewwww…… it was matter of fraction of second and couple of feet…

Many friends told me that because of heavy rains, lot of trees are falling. just be careful guys.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 20:33   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the warning TK. Frightening proposition, especially considering the fact that pune has more bikers. And most of the morons don't wear a helmet. Pray a tree doesn't fall on their skull.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 21:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thanks for the warning TK. Frightening proposition, especially considering the fact that pune has more bikers. And most of the morons don't wear a helmet. Pray a tree doesn't fall on their skull.
Unfortunately, an ordinary helmet won't stand upto the strength of a falling tree. Even a branch as thin as 5-6" can cause serious damage if it falls from a decent height.
None-the-less,some protection is better than nothing at all.
Be safe,guys.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 21:31   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Nitin;1577859]Unfortunately, an ordinary helmet won't stand upto the strength of a falling tree. Even a branch as thin as 5-6" can cause serious damage if it falls from a decent height.
quote]

It is probably this feeling that prevents bikers from wearing helmets. Anyway we die. So let me die comfortably kind of feeling creeps in.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:11   #5
BHPian

Isnt this a common phenomenon during rains/gusty winds? Atleast, so many trees fall here in Bangalore during the rains. BBMP evades responsibility by puting up sign boards stating, "beware-trees may fall here"

BTW, be careful is fine. But how to be careful? Am curious now - Can you predict a tree falling? Can you avoid all the streets which have trees? what if a bolt of lightening strikes us on an non-tree lined street? Why only car? It can fall in park? newhere? Only option I can think is not to travel. In my opinion, its an accident, which cannot be prevented - more like destiny. If it had to fall on oneself, it would, no matter what. Sarcastic me? sorry. But I just felt so
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 22:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

BTW, be careful is fine. But how to be careful? Am curious now - Can you predict a tree falling? Can you avoid all the streets which have trees? what if a bolt of lightening strikes us on an non-tree lined street? Why only car? It can fall in park? newhere? Only option I can think is not to travel. In my opinion, its an accident, which cannot be prevented - more like destiny. If it had to fall on oneself, it would, no matter what. Sarcastic me? sorry. But I just felt so
+1... I dont know how much one can foresee. Four weeks back was driving in JP Nagar,was doing only 30 kmph, there is traffic and one tree branch, all of a sudden decides to fall down and it hits my windshield. Fortunately it was a small branch and as soon as it hit my windshield, flew back, cracking the windshield. Cant help it at all.. Costed me 7800 to replace the windshield.

Such natural things cannot be fore seen or prevented. Just one has to feel lucky..

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 22:39   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@anainar. 7800? No insurance? Doesn't require a tree to crack the windsheild. In my case a small pebble from the tyre of the jeep in front came flying on the GQ and hit the windshield just 1 inch away from the end. An inch to the right, it would have missed. I had a 8" long crack. Had it replaced and costed me 7200 bucks. Thanks to insurance, I paid only 1300. Have to forego the no claim bonus. That's small considering the damage! Freak things happen. But going slower definitely helps mitigate the damage I guess.
Old 12th November 2009, 05:27   #8
BHPian

Aah I miss Pune man, so much crazy stuff happening there. And absolutely nobody cares! On a much serious note take care man. Be safe.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote