Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:31   #16
BHPian
 
Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

I shelled out around Rs.150/- the last time i had been to crawford market, this was during the christmas season last year. He did give me a reciept which had the rate that was hand written on it along with the time and date printed. Couldn't argue much as it looked genuine.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:41   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

+1 to the MG road part. recently, I parked my bike near Kolsa Galli and this guy came up to ask for the parking fees. Apparently, he did not have change for 10 bucks and was willing to accept 2 bucks (obviously without receipt).

I told him I will pay on return and ensured I got the necessary change. He was trying to convince me to pay only 2 bucks, and refused to give me a reciept for the 5 bucks that I offered him. By this time, I had started my bike and threatened to drive off.
His actual words were; kya do rupaye ke liye jhik jhik kar raha hai
No use in wasting a retort, so I just tore a 5 buck receipt from his booklet and rode off.

All said, I am still not sure how many of these receipt books are genuine and accounted for, in the first place.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:17   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Well this scam is all over Mumbai. These lots are controlled by the parking mafia. Crawford Market, Kala Ghoda, Regal, the Flora Fountain parking lots, everywhere. I had gone to the high court area a month ago and was told by the attendant that i would have to leave the keys. Normally i would tip the guy Rs 10-20/- extra if i ever left my keys. When i came back within an hour, he asked me for Rs. 80/- I knew he was taking me for a ride and told him to buzz off. The young lad got a bit aggressive in his tone and body language. Thats what i actually look for in scamsters Now the time had come to give them a taste of their own language. I calmly told him whether he was refusing to give me the keys. He looked around for some support from his cronies all huddled together in the parking booth but as they knew they were wrong, no one even wanted to make eye contact with him or me. I loudly asked whether he was refusing to give me the keys if i didnt pay up, as then id adpot othre measures. HE quietly handed over the keys to me and said "Aap jao saab kuch bhi dena hai de do" with a really scared look. I gave him his Rs. 10/- plus an added Rs.20/- and then handed him another rs.10/- just like that. I told him he could earn this money as his efforts to park of he were polite but if he got aggressive i could get him into a lot of trouble. HE thanked me and slipped away.
Another time when i reached the same place early, another attendant asked me to leave the car and hed park it. I told him i could park on my own (knowing the scenario that would ensue)
Actually these guys need to be reported to the cops and a strong representation to them would actually work. I suggest writing to the Adl. Commissioner traffic with a CC to the CP. it should work. I will on my next such escapade, take the pic of the offender and his name and send to the press. The traffic police had also started a website to report such irregularities, i wonder if anyone must have reported or if done, was there action taken.

Try going for s late night movie just before the guy on duty is supposed to leave. He will almost coax you to pay up first. I never do it. I tell them i dont know how much time ill take. More often than not, they are never there when you return late.

There were also a few parking meters installed in the Ballard Pier area. I know as i have used these meters to park many a times. They used to accept new Rs. 5/- coins. I dont see them anymore.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:44   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Well this scam is all over Mumbai. These lots are controlled by the parking mafia. Crawford Market, Kala Ghoda, Regal, the Flora Fountain parking lots, everywhere. I had gone to the high court area a month ago and was told by the attendant that i would have to leave the keys. Normally i would tip the guy Rs 10-20/- extra if i ever left my keys. When i came back within an hour, he asked me for Rs. 80/- I knew he was taking me for a ride and told him to buzz off. The young lad got a bit aggressive in his tone and body language. Thats what i actually look for in scamsters Now the time had come to give them a taste of their own language. I calmly told him whether he was refusing to give me the keys. He looked around for some support from his cronies all huddled together in the parking booth but as they knew they were wrong, no one even wanted to make eye contact with him or me. I loudly asked whether he was refusing to give me the keys if i didnt pay up, as then id adpot othre measures. HE quietly handed over the keys to me and said "Aap jao saab kuch bhi dena hai de do" with a really scared look. I gave him his Rs. 10/- plus an added Rs.20/- and then handed him another rs.10/- just like that. I told him he could earn this money as his efforts to park of he were polite but if he got aggressive i could get him into a lot of trouble. HE thanked me and slipped away.
Another time when i reached the same place early, another attendant asked me to leave the car and hed park it. I told him i could park on my own (knowing the scenario that would ensue)
Actually these guys need to be reported to the cops and a strong representation to them would actually work. I suggest writing to the Adl. Commissioner traffic with a CC to the CP. it should work. I will on my next such escapade, take the pic of the offender and his name and send to the press. The traffic police had also started a website to report such irregularities, i wonder if anyone must have reported or if done, was there action taken.

Try going for s late night movie just before the guy on duty is supposed to leave. He will almost coax you to pay up first. I never do it. I tell them i dont know how much time ill take. More often than not, they are never there when you return late.

There were also a few parking meters installed in the Ballard Pier area. I know as i have used these meters to park many a times. They used to accept new Rs. 5/- coins. I dont see them anymore.
Gogi bharaji, Same thing happened yesterday at Dadar TT below flyover,I had gone to Dr. Patkar with someone and this doctor takes very long to discuss the patients. This attendent was acting smart, I spoke very loudely and almost shouting at him, there was a traffic cop who was watching us from distance and somewhat hearing my shouting , Ikept telling that creep Havaldar ko bulaoon kya? then there were few people watching, he was ashamed, I told him that the slip he gave me will go to Dadar Police Station tomorrow and he will be called,TAYAAR REHENA KAL KO..chowki mein aane ke liye .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:56   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Lol, unfortunately, some of the traffic cops are hand in glove with them but if you complain, he must take action else his "billa" number can be taken. best way to scare any of them is say u work for a newspaper and take his pic on the phone. They really get scared with these tactics. Hope Baba Ramdev and Anna Hazare's mission cures these small hood winkers too
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 12:02   #21
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
This incident is not at C. market but at Dadar TT below flyover.
Yesterday I had gone to Dadar TT and parked below flyover in area after the circle towards Kings circle, This area is less crowded and parking is available.
That creep attendent came and gave me a yellow slip and asked me how long wil I park?
I ignored him and went away, but seeing the slip was a surprise , it had only M C G B and car no, time, amount. No receipt no,parking rates etc.wWhen I told him that there is no receipt no. he said saab samaj lenge.koi chinta nahin hai.

Iqbal, DO NOT park under the flyover. There have been several cases of stabbings and muggings there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Lol, unfortunately, some of the traffic cops are hand in glove with them but if you complain, he must take action else his "billa" number can be taken. best way to scare any of them is say u work for a newspaper and take his pic on the phone. They really get scared with these tactics. Hope Baba Ramdev and Anna Hazare's mission cures these small hood winkers too
The cops are always hand in glove with them. Remember, they form an integral part of the Cops revenue stream
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 14:03   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

You guys have attendants, parking slips and you even handover your keys to the attendants??

WOW!!!!

In Bangalore any Tom, Dick and Harry will come over and ask you for parking charge anywhere. JUST LIKE THAT!!!
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 15:21   #23
BHPian
 
mmxylorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 653
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

I paid about 250 for 4 hrs of parking. But, the effort saved in lugging around stuff bought was worth every paisa. We did a lot of buying and I was making frequent trips to the Xylo to put the stuff inside.

Once purchasing was done saw that the Xylo was completely boxed in - but the attendants had keys to the other vehicles and we were freed up in 10 mins.

I would say, better to pay the slightly higher rate with a pinch of salt and save oneself the trouble. You recover the parking money soon enough. Isn't that why one primarily goes to Crawford market? for wholesale rates?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 22:56   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Iqbal, DO NOT park under the flyover. There have been several cases of stabbings and muggings there.




The cops are always hand in glove with them. Remember, they form an integral part of the Cops revenue stream
Thanks a million Cyrus ji, Ishall see to it that and will be careful thanks once agian, but Cyrus how about parking it under flyover opposit to Pritam ,that area is congested .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 22:58   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Thanks a million Cyrus ji, Ishall see to it that and will be careful thanks once agian, but Cyrus how about parking it under flyover opposit to Pritam ,that area is congested .
That area is even worse. In fact, the other area which you mentioned earlier (near Total Sports) is slightly better.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 23:04   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That area is even worse. In fact, the other area which you mentioned earlier (near Total Sports) is slightly better.
Cyrus ji, actually on that day I first went to place opposit Pritam and that creep told me saab CHAABI DEKE JANA HOGA. I refused although there was space to park my K10.
He was arrogant and I was with my wife , I opted for the place opposit to Chandu Halwai.Regards
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 23:08   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Cyrus ji, actually on that day I first went to place opposit Pritam and that creep told me saab CHAABI DEKE JANA HOGA. I refused although there was space to park my K10.
He was arrogant and I was with my wife , I opted for the place opposit to Chandu Halwai.Regards
they are all complete idiots. If I had my way id slap every single one of them till they became polite. they were rude with me once too I told them to do their worse. luckily it was one of my unrestored Fiats which already had tons of scratches etc. So i wasnt really bothered about the car. I was only later that someone told me what was going on there that I decided to park near Della Towers and walk to Dadar TT. That said, I live 100 meters from dadar TT but im still too lazy to walk. Also, please dont call me Cyrusji, its very embarrassing!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 23:17   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
they are all complete idiots. If I had my way id slap every single one of them till they became polite. they were rude with me once too I told them to do their worse. luckily it was one of my unrestored Fiats which already had tons of scratches etc. So i wasnt really bothered about the car. I was only later that someone told me what was going on there that I decided to park near Della Towers and walk to Dadar TT. That said, I live 100 meters from dadar TT but im still too lazy to walk. Also, please dont call me Cyrusji, its very embarrassing!
CYRUS although I am a mumbaikar myself but we sikhs have in our blood giving respect to anyone . Even my childrenwhen they speak to our guard in the bld,our maid , my office staff they call them by AAP.
Even my dad ,who expired in 1994 at the age of 77yrs always told us to give respect and you will automatically get it in twice the size you gave,Habits dont die boss..Regards...
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 18:46   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: Mumbai - Parking Racket At Crawford Market

Need urgent help, I am travelling to Crawford market, Mumbai tomorrow. I am travelling from Pune and does not know much about Mumbai. What will be the best location for parking my car for whole day, I won't mind travelling by cab or bus after parking.

Parking should be easy to find and easy to get out in the evening, near eastern freeway. That will help quickly come out of traffic. Thanks in advance.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 23:27   #30
BHPian
 
Happysmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pune
Posts: 86
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Need urgent help, I am travelling to Crawford market, Mumbai tomorrow. I am travelling from Pune and does not know much about Mumbai. What will be the best location for parking my car for whole day, I won't mind travelling by cab or bus after parking.

Parking should be easy to find and easy to get out in the evening, near eastern freeway. That will help quickly come out of traffic. Thanks in advance.

Couple of months ago I did leave my car at the pay and park from 11am to 6 pm at Crawford market next to the CST flyover. Had to leave the car keys with the parking attendant, so please don't leave any valuables inside.

Paid almost Rs 100/ hour. Was totally worth as we traveled by taxi all over with no hassles of driving and parking. We were out of Mumbai via eastern freeway in 40 minutes.
Happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ANHC ORVM Organized Theft Racket - Owners beware SS-Traveller Street Experiences 37 29th August 2013 13:51
Parking lot attendants using cars for driving lessons - Racket unearthed ghodlur Street Experiences 13 9th May 2012 15:06
New extortion racket on highways vnabhi Street Experiences 35 20th February 2012 08:21
Car import racket unearthed four_tire The Indian Car Scene 13 9th June 2006 23:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks