Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:28   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NDLS/SBC
Posts: 41
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

I had purchased the Celerio in Dec '17 and the sales advisor asked me to get the PUC check done after an year. This June, I happened to visit the RTO and the ARTO clarified that I should get it done ASAP as it was almost 6 months from the date of purchase.

I was under an impression that the period is one year for cars as well as Motorcycles alike. So, I am yet to get the PUC check done for my Bullet as well.

What is the actual period within which PUC check needs to be carried out for new cars/bikes?
k88k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:22   #107
BHPian
 
vidyanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BLR
Posts: 98
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
What is the actual period within which PUC check needs to be carried out for new cars/bikes?
Saw this late so not sure if it helps now but for new cars, the validity is for 1 year for the first year.
Thereafter it had to be every 6 months but it seems the rule has changed for BSIV vehicles (it might be 1 year) which I am still trying to find out.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:03   #108
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,746
Thanked: 4,577 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Thereafter it had to be every 6 months but it seems the rule has changed for BSIV vehicles (it might be 1 year) which I am still trying to find out.
Yes, that is correct, PUC is valid for 1 year for BS IV vehicles.
Please see earlier posts here and here

Last edited by NPV : 2nd August 2017 at 13:04.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:57   #109
BHPian
 
Ajitsingh208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 209
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Hi,

Different States have different formats for PUC. In Pune, they only give a green slip as a PUC. However I was once stopped in UP and the cops refused to believe that this was a valid PUC, as in North India PUC has a photo of the car as well.

Shouldn't a PUC issued in Pune be valid across India for 6 months?

Thanks,
Ajit
Ajitsingh208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:02   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 145
Thanked: 371 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

PUC has a photo of the car as well.

Shouldn't a PUC issued in Pune be valid across India for 6 months?
In Kerala PUC has the photo of number plate of the vehicle.

Yes, PUC is valid for 6 months across India (I've been stopped and PUC checked and no objections were raised - so I presume it's valid across India)
kozhissery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:34   #111
BHPian
 
kutoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 145
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Hi,

Different States have different formats for PUC. In Pune, they only give a green slip as a PUC. However I was once stopped in UP and the cops refused to believe that this was a valid PUC, as in North India PUC has a photo of the car as well.

Shouldn't a PUC issued in Pune be valid across India for 6 months?

Thanks,
Ajit
Earlier, in PUne, the RTO PUC centre (BP COCO) pump, had the facility to include the number plate in the PUC slip, however currently, when you can get PUC slips without taking the vehicles, the validity is very much questionable.

It's another scam, and hope that we have stringent norms like in the US
kutoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 10:37   #112
BHPian
 
hothatchaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 523
Thanked: 531 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, that is correct, PUC is valid for 1 year for BS IV vehicles.
Hi

Can you pls share where in Bangalore you got a PUC certificate with a one year validity? I renewed it for my 2012 BS 4 Alto K10 in Feb 2017 at the IOC outlet on old madras road near indiranagar RTO and boldly asked for one which has a 12 month validity and they said their system can only generate a 6 month one. Of course any further argument was futile.

Its a pain getting it renewed every 6 months, wonder if there is an outlet in the Indiranagar-old airport-CBD circuit which issues a 12 month one.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 10:50   #113
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,746
Thanked: 4,577 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Can you pls share where in Bangalore you got a PUC certificate with a one year validity? I renewed it for my 2012 BS 4 Alto K10 in Feb 2017 at the IOC outlet on old madras road near indiranagar RTO and boldly asked for one which has a 12 month validity and they said their system can only generate a 6 month one. Of course any further argument was futile.
I got it done for our 2016 Wagon R at the IOC bunk at the corner of Old Madras Road and Indiranagar double road, opposite the BDA complex - seems like the same place you went to!

In fact, I did not have to ask them for a 1 year validity (wasn't even aware of it at the time). Since it was the first time I had the PUC done, a year after registration of the car, they asked me for a copy of the RC card to enter vehicle details into the system and when the report was printed, it had a 1 year validity.
When I enquired about how/why that was the case, they said all vehicles manufactured 2011 onwards will get 1 year validity.
I later found out from TBHP forum threads that it is actually based on engine emission norms - vehicles with engine complying with BSIV (and later) norms will get 1 year validity.

Going by the explanation given to me, your vehicle should get 1 year validity as is is 2012 vehicle. Why don't you go back with the RC card and ask them to enter the correct data into the system ? I'm guessing that once that is done, the report will automatically generate a certificate with 1 year validity (as I mentioned, they seem to be ignorant of the BSIII vs BSIV, etc and don't really know how it works and stick to reasons like manufacturing date, etc).

See earlier posts here and here

*Check the second post linked above - that has a link to the RTO site where you can check if your vehicle has been correctly categorized as BSIII or BSIV.

Last edited by NPV : 31st August 2017 at 10:56.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 11:22   #114
BHPian
 
hothatchaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 523
Thanked: 531 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I got it done for our 2016 Wagon R at the IOC bunk at the corner of Old Madras Road and Indiranagar double road, opposite the BDA complex - seems like the same place you went to!
Indeed, its the same one Thanks for the link, my car seems to be classified as '4W BH II or onwards', not sure if this can be categorised as bs IV. Will do as you advised and share the outcome.

thanks
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 15:25   #115
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,746
Thanked: 4,577 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
my car seems to be classified as '4W BH II or onwards', not sure if this can be categorised as bs IV.
For our Wagon R, the data displays as "4W Bh.IV or Onwards" so that is what you should get it updated to for your car since it is BS IV compliant.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 11:53   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The problem is more because of our own ignorance. The very first time we get our PUC test done, we should check whether the correct stage has been entered. Once the record goes into the database...the same is carried over during the subsequent tests.

I learned it the hard way. My 2010 K series Estilo is listed as pre BS II. I have now spread the word and a colleague got his 2011 Ford Fiesta Classic diesel certified for a year.
"Once bitten twice shy", goes a saying. Having lost the one year advantage because of my car being listed as pre BS II, I was extra careful this time. As soon as the registration number was keyed in, I asked the operator to change the version to BS IV. Viola, the certificate that came out showed the validity as one year as against the six months of the previous one.

There is of course the possibility of the car failing the test in case it isn't well maintained; the BS IV norms are stricter than BS III and BS II.

A screenshot of the relevant part of the PUC certificate showing the validity:
Attached Images
 
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 23:56   #117
BHPian
 
hothatchaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 523
Thanked: 531 Times
Default Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For our Wagon R, the data displays as "4W Bh.IV or Onwards".
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
"Once bitten twice shy", goes a saying. Having lost the one year advantage because of my car being listed as pre BS II, I was extra careful this time. As soon as the registration number was keyed in, I asked the operator to change the version to BS IV.
Renewed the PUC for my 2012 Alto K10 today and thanks to you gents, was alert and asked the operator to get the version right which is BS IV. Out came the certificate with a one year validity. Saved myself 90 bucks and an irritating run again after 6 months. This was at the IOC outlet on OMR next to Indiranagar BDA complex.
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding PUC (Pollution under control) certificate readings shuvc Technical Stuff 43 10th May 2015 22:39
A Device that can control all my gadgets / Universal Remote Control a4_attitude Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 24th August 2011 11:10
PUC reading SL500 Technical Stuff 3 20th December 2009 10:38
Bangalore: PUC booth for Post Y2K vehicles ajayclicks Technical Stuff 12 10th January 2008 16:05
Deciphering your PUC Certificate :- mithun Technical Stuff 2 16th October 2006 09:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks