Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th November 2009, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Default Witnessed an accident - What more could I do ?

Hi - I witnessed an accident on Saturday around noon. I was on the way to Pune and as we exited the expressway, we got onto the Pune Bangalore highway. I was following a Tata Indica. There was a Mahindra pick up parked on the shoulder and there was sufficient space on the road. It is a 2 lane ( 2 each way) divided highway. As we approached the pickup, the Indica suddenly swerved to the left, for no apparent reason and knocked down a biker, who was at this moment in the left lane and now almost parallel to the parked pickup on the highway shoulder. The biker crashed and tumbled multiple times , the bike rolling over him and I had to manouvre to avoid running over him. The cars were doing between 70 - 80 kmph. I stopped a little distance away, got out, and looked back. The Mahindra pick up guys were trying to assist the biker. He was face flat and very still. The Indica did not stop. Seeing that the biker was getting some assistance , I followed the Indica and after about 2 kms, managed to get him to stop.

He was scared, I could see it. He apologized that it was an accident. I told him, to go back and ensure the biker is taken to the hospital, rather than run away. This is the time, when one of his two daughters, who were in the back seat, got out and stared abusing my wife and I. The words used were exactly and I quote. "If you are so concerned, why did you not stop", "What problem is it of yours" and more of such attrocious comments. After a heated exchange, mainly with the daughter, the man got down and half heartedly walked towards the biker, presumably to help. I took down the vehicle number and went to the nearest police chowkie, another km away and gave them the details and the vehicle number (can't remember it now, as it was written on a tissue paper in the car).

The police asked us to proceed onwards with our journey and they went towards the scene of the accident on their bikes immediatlely. Don't know what happened after that.

I could not help but think, if I could have done more. Should I have ignored going to the police and somehow reversed back to the spot (2 kms back, difficult to do but could have managed) and made sure assistance was given, although the pickup guys were helping him. In the thick of things, don't know if I did was the ideal thing to do.

What I do know was I was disgusted by the younger daughter's behaviour.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Eddy : 30th November 2009 at 14:51. Reason: Improving readability
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:19   #2
BHPian

You did what you should have done. Maybe call for an ambulance would have been good given the situation. But you have informed the police, who should take care the things.
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you did the best you could. Dont worry about it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I feel for the biker who suffered for no mistake of his. IMO you did the right thing by stopping the Indica and then giving the details to the nearest police station. This was the best that you could have done at that time. Other people would argue that you could have done more, but I feel that stopping the Indica and asking him to own up the responsibility for the accident and then informing the police was the right thing to do .It was most logical thing to do that point of time.
Hope the biker got assistance from the pick-up parked there and is safe. The behavior of the daughter of the Indica daughter shows what culture are parents imbibing in their children. It was not for the daughter to speak up when her father was involved in the discussion.
Feel proud of yourself to have done the right thing.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, it might be worthwhile to also let the biker/his family know the number of the car that did this. But I can imagine that doing this will will take some doing.

Or maybe you could just call up the police control room or something and let them have the number too. Saying this because I would have my suspicions about the local police in doing the job "right"...

The daughter's words are irrelevant, IMO. But just a thought - why was she so worked up? Maybe because she or someone else (maybe without a licence?) was driving at the moment... and later the guy took over the wheel?

Last edited by Raccoon : 30th November 2009 at 12:35.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't think you could have done anything more.

Sorry to have split your post, but I don't understand the following. Can you explain this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
I followed the Indica and after about 2 kms, managed to get him to stop.
Quote:
.... After a heated exchange, mainly with the daughter, the man got down and half heartedly walked towards the biker, presumably to help.
Quote:
... Should I have ignored going to the police and somehow reversed back to the spot (2 kms back, difficult to do but could have managed) and made sure assistance was given, although the pickup guys were helping him.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Seeler_Rebeiro,

You've done much more than most people would do - and therefore shouldn't worry about if you have done enough.

The only concern i would have, is that (given the daughters attitude for eg.) the people in the indica might not have had the best interest of the biker in mind, in terms of getting him medical attention etc.
Also who knows what the folks in the mahindra were like, and if they might have the same clear thinking as you in such a situation / tending to the biker.

Nonetheless, hindsight is always 20/20, so don't worry about it too much. You made a difference, and the rest can be left to fate.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Imo, You have done your best within your limit. Hope the cops did something and taken care of the injured biker (unfotunate victim in this case).

It is the tendency of many to hit and run - but not thinking that sometime /some way it may happen to them also.

God only save people from these kind of rude and irresponsible people !
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 15:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

salute you for what you did. you did exactly what was needed. good that you stopped the indica who was trying to flee.

you did your part. congrats. this is how humanity can be nurtured.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 15:20   #10
BHPian

You have done your best. You did the right thing by approaching the police (As you mentioned those pickup guys were attending to the biker). How ruthless and irresponsible can that lady get??
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 16:05   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up

What you did was wonderful Most people wouldn't care. But why do we Indians have a don't care attitude towards others, society or environment?
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 16:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

On the hindsight there can be a lot of other "To Do" things that can be mentioned. But what you did at the crux of the moment I am sure 50% of the people would not have done it.

Your willingness to help in whatever way you thought was the best at that time speaks volumes about your nature. Keep it up.

I sincerely hope the biker got properly treated.

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 17:00   #13
BHPian

Hi all - Thanks for your responses. I feel better now. Like some people said, having a telephone number for ambulances would be useful. It would be great if in India we have something similar to 911 or maybe just a single number to remember for emergency services.

@esteem_lover
Sorry to have split your post, but I don't understand the following. Can you explain this ?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro
I followed the Indica and after about 2 kms, managed to get him to stop.
I followed the car, moved slightly ahead of him, nudged him to the shoulder and blocked his route.

Quote:
.... After a heated exchange, mainly with the daughter, the man got down and half heartedly walked towards the biker, presumably to help.
He did not seem quite eager or hurried to go towards the accident spot and was looking to return back to his car. I waited for about 5 minutes and when he felt that I was going to stay put, he then proceeded ahead.

Quote:
... Should I have ignored going to the police and somehow reversed back to the spot (2 kms back, difficult to do but could have managed) and made sure assistance was given, although the pickup guys were helping him.
It was a 2 lane road and traffic was beginning to pile up. Going back to the spot would mean going against the flow of the traffic. The next gap in the divided road was near the Hingewadi flyover which was also where the police chowkie was. I decided to go ahead rather than backwards.

Last edited by Dippy : 30th November 2009 at 17:19. Reason: Correcting quotes
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 18:16   #14
BHPian

Seeler_Rebeiro

Just make sure that you have given your statement to the police to that effect and you should not be called as a person who had caused an accident to the indica driver. After all he has witnesses (daughters & occupants of his car) to identify you and your car.

Make sure your statement reads correctly.

Else there have been cases where the Samaritan is made into a villain.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 21:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the time, when one of his two daughters, who were in the back seat, got out and stared abusing my wife and I. The words used were exactly and I quote. "If you are so concerned, why did you not stop", "What problem is it of yours" and more of such attrocious comments. After a heated exchange, mainly with the daughter,
You should have given the guy's daughter a mouthful. It's clearly a hit and run case and such attitude. God forbid, people like these understand only when they are in such a situation. And yes, you have done your bit and stop worrying, if someone is to worry, its the people in that indica.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote