Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th August 2005, 00:16   #16
BHPian

is this dude willing to sell off his alloys???
like these wheels...
sparco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 00:37   #17
BHPian

glad to know he's safe. we'll be missing the gentle roar of that Rocam on pune-mumbai meets i guess ... tooo bad :(

Last edited by hkanitkar : 17th August 2005 at 00:38.
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 01:52   #18
BHPian

Exclamation oh good to hear.........

Good to hear that he is in one piece.......
i coulda bet my life that it was his car!!!!!! [even tho ive never seen it in the metal!]
as moralfibre rightly said it can be the breaking probs........ cuz it looked like he rear ended a truck or something.........
Lets wait for his story.........
till then......
drive safe people!!

Last edited by Edmund : 17th August 2005 at 01:54. Reason: typo
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 03:25   #19
BHPian

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

So finally I have to recall and pen down about the dreadful day of my accident but before I begin I would really like to thank Edmund,V1p3r,balenopower,Drifter,Viper,Heavy Foot,gr8guzzler,revtech,Rtech,moralfibre,NC,Sparco ,HKanitkar,maana45 and all my fellow T-Bhpians who were really concerned about the accident and posted their views about it, now that’s what I call “The Spirit of T-BHP” .

Yes I am absolutely fine, I came out of that accident unscratched, but at the same time it’s the opposite for me mentally. I was too attached with my car! Hence I miss her all the more. Here is a short picture about what happened:

The evening was of 10th August around 6.00 pm when I was returning back from Pune. the sky was clear the roads were empty and the climate was perfect, I was enjoying the drive that evening, unknowing what the fate had stored in for me, I crossed the place called “wakad Jn” which is on Pune bypass road which connects to the express way, I was doing about 80-90 Kph and enjoying the breeze, I saw a truck stationed on the left side of the road way ahead, When I came near, the truck was still standing, assuming that it was parked on left side I did not bother, but when I came more near , To my horror the Truck took a sudden right to cross the road without seeing behind ! I took the steering left and applied break on Full Force, I could hear the tyre screeching and wheel locked up!
I banged on rear End of the truck after the tyres where they have some sort of Pillars,
There was no space on road since truck was standing perpendicular on main road., Had he been taken truck slightly ahead or if my wheels had not locked up I could have avoided that accident, but I didn’t had that much time, The truck was perpendicular if I hadn’t taken left turn and applied breaks I would sourly gone below the truck and hit the Diesel Tank and the result could be much more devastating , Moments after the accident I checked myself and my office boy (who was traveling along with me) for any injury, Luckily we both were unhurt, we both were wearing seat belts, Till date I had heard that seat belt saves life, guys on 10th Aug I experienced it! Even though I always wear seat belt no matter where ever I go for drive and I make sure the passenger also wears it, I could literally feel seat belts were holding me when I had applied break that hard at that speed.

Next thing was to check for the damage caused, I towed the car to “Talera Ford” in pune, but here there was another surprise waiting for me.
They quoted me estimate of 5.5 L , that made me really Laugh on them ,They have given me a long list of parts from the manual which they suspect, What they had to say is that they have covered major engine parts like Head/Cams, and mechanicals ,left & right apron , they have done this cause they cannot verify which part is ok or not until they remove the engine from chassis and inspect the damaged part individually , This process can go ahead only after the surveyor from the insurance company inspect the car.
I am waiting for the response of insurance guy, after removing the engine and inspecting it I will decide to repair or sell the car and claim insurance, till then had to wait
Here are some pics of damaged car

Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 03:39   #20
BHPian

Rocam...really sad to hear about this....this must have been heartbreaking for you seeing your baby in such a condition. The pictures say it all, thanks to the seat belts you guys survived. Just hope things work out for you and we see you back with your baby with its trademark ROAR!!!

Good Luck!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 04:45   #21
BHPian

Hey Rocam...I got goose pimples reading the write up. But the fact that there was no scratch on you means the Ford did what it needed to do in such a situation i.e. protect you.
Yes looking at the estimate, I also felt akward. There have been cases where people are overchanged just to make profit. Please be cautious while dealing with the service vendors.

Just Take care of yourself!!
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 07:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thats one badly smashed up ikon.
That bar on the rear of the truck is what really saved you...thats a recent safety addition so that cars dont go under the truck in case of an accident. If that bar wasnt there, the result could have been far more tragic. We all thank god that you are ok. Hope to see your baby back in action soon. Drive safe buddy.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 07:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rocam

Nevermind about the car - whats important is that you're still around to write about the incident. The car has done its job by protecting you.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 09:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rocam...I got goose pimples reading the write up. But the fact that there was no scratch on you means the Ford did what it needed to do in such a situation i.e. protect you.

Quote:
Nevermind about the car - whats important is that you're still around to write about the incident. The car has done its job by protecting you.
Rocam, I have nothing else to say. Welcome back!
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 09:57   #25
BHPian

Thumbs up

Buddy cars will come and go,
But thank GOD your still writing down here becase,
If Life goes it does not come back...
safe Driving and Seat Belts ON...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 09:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

hey rocam

sorry to hear about the incident dude..at the same time we are glad you walked away from it unscratched ..

be safe

cheers
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Welcome back Rocam! Those truck drivers just never learn!

We had almost exactly the same accident on our way back from Delhi after the Airtel Rally. The Corolla looked to suffer the same damage as your car as well. If it's any indication, the final total came to a bit below 2 lakhs.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The Danger car strikes again. I dont know if its the car or just bad luck but somehow the worest and most frequently hit car in an accident i hear of is the Ikon. The series of accidents that have taken place on the Ikon has just created a mind block for me and there is no way in hell i would ever buy an Ikon in my life. No doubt it has a very peppy engine and is a good car overall but there is just something majorly WRONG with it and the funny part is i dont know what :P
Good to hear that you came out unscratched, take my advice...either repair the car and sell it or just scarp it. Its not worth reusing such a badly smashed car, you never know what may go wrong in the future since its going to be rebuilt by the showroom not the company.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Rocam

Thats one scary accident you had there. Its hard to imagine the experience you had. I always stress the use of seat belts whether its driving on the highway or even in city traffic. These truck drivers never learn and on top of that they have such poorly maintained vehicles.

Seeing your car is very heart breaking but that can be repaired. The good part is that you are safe and sound and thats what matters. Great to have you back man !!

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:51   #30
BHPian

hi rocam

i m a bag of mixed feelings now as felt good to hear that u and ur office boy are safe and sound but surely felt bad to see your ikon in this condition. it is amazing to see you survive this crash thanks to the seat belts you were wearing.

i too had made a copy of estimate for one NHC which had come to my husband's w/s and the estimate was around 11 pages long and around 4.5 lakhs. the damage was similar to yours and my husband could not open the engine so had to give an rough estimate. the actual came to much less say around 3 lakhs but the owner decided to scrap it and purchase a new car.

my opinion would be to scrap this car as major components will have to be replaced and if hte dealers try to play any mischief then you will never get the same feel to the car.

in case you wanna get it repaired see to it that you inspect each and every major part throughly before they put it. this might be time consuming but then it will ensure that you know what is going into the car. i have seen many w/s where they use servicable parts and even setting up with the surveyor. this happens becos either the customer is not aware of it or he himself wants to save money which goes into buying a new one.

just some bit from my side.i hope this helps you in deciding what you wanna do.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote