Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th August 2005, 00:09   #46
BHPian

Talking hey there.........

Once again a story for the unbelievers of how a seatbelt can save lives!!
Bravo FR...... cars will come an go we have but just one life!!!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 01:53   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocam, Good to know you are safe. For your next car, pick one with ABS and Airbags....not to mention good brakes and tires.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 02:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey, Rocam, you'll have to change your name yaar, if you get a Baleno or OHC! 16v i-Smart or Hypertech!

greatdrive, great to hear all your family is ok. Got rear ended myself on Sunday. Luckily it was just the bumper, which promptly reshaped itself.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 14:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rocam,

Happy to hear that you escaped unhurt.

It's a classic example on control of cars immaterial of our driving skills. Accelerating to the core is not a big deal, whoever stands on the pedal, the car is going to rush through.

You had mentioned that you're speeding at 80's in the highway which is a moderate one. GUYS whoever has done more than 100 & 120 just imagine what would have happened if you were pushed into the same Scenario. You escaped becasue you're not rushing through at high speeds.

Lesson need to be learnt
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 15:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rocam,

Good to see you back again. Sorry to hear about your Ikon's fate. But the good thing is that you came out of the accident without a scratch.

My brother-in-law had a very similar accident in his santro. Except that in his case, the truck ahead was moving in the left lane and suddenly took a right turn because its driver decided to take a u-turn. Since my bil was in the right lane and was about to overtake the truck, he couldn't avoid the collision. He had just a few minor bruises, but his santro had to be scraped.

If the car is irrepairable, my suggestion is to scrap it and buy a new one (probably another Ikon).
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 18:14   #51
bhp
BHPian

hey fordrocam good to hear you are safe man . and i agree with sahil ikon s are the cars which have had major big time accidents just bcoz of its poor braking ..
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 18:49   #52
dev
BHPian

Rocam,
Nice to see you are unhurt..

Yes..this Ford Ikons brakes when applied in this type of situations, gets locked..Even I had opened one thread on this issue.
I felt the same.. last weekend I faced similar situation..but luckily I used the tip given by our fellow team.. don't apply breaks continously.... apply multiple times leaving 1sec gap..
This was very useful Tip I got and saved me from very close encounters...

But don't u guys think, in this type of situations, one won't get that much of time to NOT apply breakes continously?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 18:57   #53
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rocam,

Good to hear that you escaped unhurt but Thank your lucky stars mate! Anyway, I agree with most that there's no point in keeping that car.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 18:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocam, got a question. You think the car would have survived better if it had ABS ?...coz the mentioned that it locked immediately.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 19:15   #55
BHPian

Sad to hear that one of our members was involved in an accident...but glad to hear that he is fine...and I'll be looking foward to read what happened to him..and the car?
Sid Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 20:19   #56
BHPian

Its good to hear that you are safe ... Thats a pretty bad accident.. My advice on the car ... Do a total loss .. Its much better and a safer deal than trying to repair it .. Pull strings with ur insurance agent so that the process will speed up .. Me too had rear ended a truck and had a similar kind of accident in a accent .. It was a good decision to scrap it and make a total loss .. u will get the depreciated value of the car depending upon how old it is .. coz anyways if u make it .. plastic parts and rubber parts will be paid only 50% and at the end the cost is going to be almost the same and u r stuck with a badly damaged car ...
Rgds
EVO6
EVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 22:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Rocam pal,

Glad ur back maan !! and yeah like all say , scrap the car - i know it will hurt but .......have to do it !!

and yeah the only and most important lesson , i have taken from this accident is - 80 KMPH IS THE MAX I WILL EVER GO ON ANY FRIGGING HIGHWAY IN INDIA FROM NOW ON

safety aids or no in the car - its not worth the risk !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 22:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
Sad to hear that one of our members was involved in an accident...but glad to hear that he is fine...and I'll be looking foward to read what happened to him..and the car?

sid

rocam has already posted the entire incident on page three of this thread. here is the link.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 23:42   #59
BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Rocam, got a question. You think the car would have survived better if it had ABS ?...coz the mentioned that it locked immediately.
Yes ! ABS would had made difference, i knew wheels would lock up during hard breaking so i had applied break after taking left turn from my lane, if i had applied brakes without turning left then the car would had gone straight below the truck cause steering would become ineffective, The breaking distance increases with A.BS but thing is that the steering is operational and u have chances to survive but again it depends on time factor!
If u had seen the PIC the damage is more on right side (from drivers angle) the wheels had locked if it hadnt i could have steered more left and survived the crash,
Thats the best i could do during that phase of time cause these things happen instantaneously,

According to me i would blame to some extend the tyres also, Good yr Eagle F1(old pattern) which any way i was planning to remove , i was not happy with its performance as compared to Bridgestone Potenza GIII or any other good brand like pirelli

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 19th August 2005 at 00:02.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 23:49   #60
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Rocam,
Nice to see you are unhurt..

Yes..this Ford Ikons brakes when applied in this type of situations, gets locked..Even I had opened one thread on this issue.
I felt the same.. last weekend I faced similar situation..but luckily I used the tip given by our fellow team.. don't apply breaks continously.... apply multiple times leaving 1sec gap..
This was very useful Tip I got and saved me from very close encounters...

But don't u guys think, in this type of situations, one won't get that much of time to NOT apply breakes continously?
HI Dev,

Ya that TIP is useful when u have sufficent time for breaking.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote