Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th February 2011, 23:30   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Rashly Driven Consulate Cars - What can you do?

Tejas,
That is the sad but true: "Diplomats do enjoy and exploit their immunity like CRAZY"
Not just in India but in other places too. Though I can understand your anger when that happened.

-salil
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 10:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread:

A similar incident happened last evening.

Was driving back from work last evening when a white Landcruiser caught my attention. In my rear view mirror, I see this SUV flashing and honking at other drivers, trying to overtake but with no luck. I kept driving at traffic speed, in my lane, without paying any heed to this guy.

At the Podar Hospital signal, Worli, only 1 lane was moving and unfortunately this guy was right behind me, as usual, flashing and honking away. After a point, I stopped the car right then and there. I did not get out, did not gesture, nothing...just stopped. After 5 seconds the honking stops, so I move on. After a few 100 metres, this guy overtakes me and cuts me off and stops the car (twice).

I caught up and stopped this guy near traffic cops (under the Worli sea face bridge) and asked them to intervene. This guy arrogantly tells them that I was blocking a consulate car. The cops take the pictures of both our driving licenses and that guy took down my number plate and threatened to "show me later" and left. The traffic cops immediately realized who was at fault here and advised me to go to the police station and file a report (just in case these consulate guys do something in the future), which I did.

Now, my question is, can I officially file a complaint with the consulate? I don't expect any action but possibly, they will teach their drivers how to respect other motorists, in the future and that they don't own the road nor the country.

Car number was 51 CC 1291. Any idea which embassy it belongs to?

Last edited by S2!!! : 25th June 2015 at 10:06.
S2!!! is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 10:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

Well, even if police can't do anything, there is social media. One can shame a consulate on FB, twitter, etc., until they rein in their errant drivers and apologize to the public.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 02:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Now, my question is, can I officially file a complaint with the consulate?
Actually the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations which deals with the present situation is extremely clear that the Immunity is void if a CC license-plated vehicle is driven by a chauffeur or non-diplomat in the absence of an accredited member of the diplomatic or consular corps being present in the vehicle. Additionally Article 43 precludes immunity in the case of civil liability claims in case of an accident.

Further Article 55 requires that persons enjoying immunity comply with the laws of the "receiving state" especially since immunity is not for the person, but rather to ensure a smooth discharge of the functions of the person.

Thus, you are entitled to file an official complaint with the Consulate, but in practice they would just sleep over it!
shady_lawyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 16:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

The folks that were hit were inside a Chevy Beat - that saved them. Good to see a police case lodged in this instance.

Russian Embassy car injures couple in Delhi.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote